Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
MemorabiliaMovies TelevisionSignaturesToys

Just a heads up11346

Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Sadly most aren't getting that being extra careful, and taking extra steps and precautions is not "pushing the panic button" . A zoonotic illness with no known vaccine that has infected 100,000 now globally is worthy of everyones best efforts and caution. We dont beat this by waiting till it involves kids as well..the only defense is a strong offense in this case.

That being said , it is reassuring to read and know that so far in China, where the epicenter of the virus is, it has been determined that for some unknown reason the virus seems to pass children by mostly.
Post 26 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
My two cents:

Disregard hearsay, respect known threats, and have a healthy fear of the unknown. You will never regret being too cautious when it comes to your family and loved ones.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Dalkiel private msg quote post Address this user
So far, the CDC has estimated (based on weekly influenza surveillance data) that at least 12,000 people have died from influenza between Oct. 1, 2019 through Feb. 1, 2020, and the number of deaths may be as high as 30,000.Feb 11, 2020
clickable text

Everyone's having a heart attack over nothing and my 401K is taking a nose dive because of it.
Post 28 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
In regards to 401k. Look at it this way, unless you are retired or are retiring soon, it is actually more beneficial to you in the long run since the reinvestment of dividends can purchase more shares at a lower cost. The stocks will eventually regain lost footing over time.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
oversimplification to an extreme...influenza tends to kill perhaps a half a percent of those it infects...this one is averaging about 3.4 percent by most accepted reports. Also this moves far more quickly than influenza, and is also a zoonotic illness, meaning it is derived from animals and can mutate and has done so, possibly twice if not more. There are medications for influenza, there are no known vaccines for Covid , sars nor Mers. Finally this virus is far more contagious than influenza, and had a massive head start on the doctors and scientists, having spread and infected hundreds if not thousands before it was firmly diagnosed. Influenza has been with us for years, this one is an unknown and many factors could make it quite complicated.

Regarding your 401 k, I am unsure your age, but if you are like me and have at least a dozen years or more before retirement, who cares what drops it might take today? Honestly, think about it...you are still investing if , again as I suggested you are younger like myself.....all the price drop means is shares are cheaper to purchase and you will gain even more when the market levels off and starts rising again. I totally get it if you are retiring in a few years or are already retired, otherwise, this couldn't be a more welcome set of circumstances for you.

ps regarding the time period and number of deaths remember coronavirus only became an issue we are aware of in the final few months of last year....measuring a solid year of influenza deaths vs a few months of coronavirus is somewhat tipping things out of balance
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalkiel
So far, the CDC has estimated (based on weekly influenza surveillance data) that at least 12,000 people have died from influenza between Oct. 1, 2019 through Feb. 1, 2020, and the number of deaths may be as high as 30,000.Feb 11, 2020
clickable text

Everyone's having a heart attack over nothing and my 401K is taking a nose dive because of it.

Looking at overall numbers, vs. percentages matters. They convey different information. The article you posted indicates maximum 370,000 hospitalizations of 31,000,000 flu cases in the US. That't with vaccines and anti-viral treatments available. So...1.1% get flu severe enough to seek medical attention and become hospitalized. They're also estimating a maximum 30,000 deaths. That's 0.096% death rate.

Coronavirus for which we have no effective anti-viral medications, or vaccines, appears to be at 20% severe cases and 3.4% death rate. I'm not saying you should worry. I'm not saying you shouldn't worry. I'm saying you need to compare like information. 3.4% doesn't sound high, but it'll sound like a big number if someone you know or love dies from it (and is 34 times deadlier than the flu). We know these numbers will change, but they're what we have to work with at present and should inform our choices. The CDC hasn't updated from the weekend on their official page. But if you went by Friday's numbers 11 deaths in 164 cases would be a 6.7% death rate in the US. Of course we have to understand this is skewed by the fact it took off in a nursing home among a known, high-risk population. But...that's where we're at.

Also, the stock market has crashed due to lack of production output from China as they're asking their workforce to stay home and not spread the disease. They're being cautious due to the ease of spread and deaths they have already encountered...above 3%...which is 3 out of every 100 people to catch the virus (including a LOT of medical workers) and some sort of pissing match between Russia and Saudi Arabia with regards to oil. It's not "because people are freaking out over nothing".
Post 31 IP   flag post
600892 31 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?