Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeQuestions

PRINTING ERRORS1134

Collector Revan_Q private msg quote post Address this user
Does a printing error affect the grade/value of the book? I was looking at a New Mutants 98 copy that had part of the back cover carrying over to the front. The book appeared to be in excellent condition, just had that noticeable flaw.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector TruckJohnson private msg quote post Address this user
You described it as a "flaw." That should answer your question.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckJohnson
Question not answered, there are flaws that have caused some books to value higher for resale.

http://www.recalledcomics.com/index.php
Post 3 IP   flag post
I don't recall me saying whether the flaw would make the value or grade go up or down. And neither do you. But why ask the question if you apparently know the answer?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Gwenlocke_Variant private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

so in other words you dont know?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwenlocke_Variant
Quote:

so in other words you dont know?

My post isn't that difficult to understand. These things tend to be personal decisions. And FOR ME, that would be a flaw I would not look at in a positive light. (your mileage may vary.) HE needs do decide for himself whether that particular "flaw" works for him or not. And based on his response with the link, he already had his mind made up before he asked the question. Which begs the question, "Why ask?"
Post 6 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Why are you all getting your shorts in your crack over printing errors and other comic book flaws?
Post 7 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
People pay big money for error edition or recalled comics, myself included.

My ninja turtle #1 walked right off the printer press and you can see a white line going all the way down the right-hand edge of the cover. But, it came directly from Peter Laird and co creator Kevin Eastman recognized the book when I had him sign it 30 years later. Sometimes a cool story is also part of it.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
People pay big money for error edition or recalled comics, myself included.

My ninja turtle #1 walked right off the printer press and you can see a white line going all the way down the right-hand edge of the cover. But, it came directly from Peter Laird and co creator Kevin Eastman recognized the book when I had him sign it 30 years later. Sometimes a cool story is also part of it.

Exhibit "A" Your Honor... Some people will pay big money for those things. I however am someone who will not. I'm interested in books that are as close to perfect as possible. Flaws don't make the book more valuable to me. Printer flaws, double covers, and things of that ilk don't interest ME at all. And I certainly don't buy signed books. As far as I'm concerned a signed book is a defaced book -- no matter who signs it! But that's just me. Like I said before, your mileage may vary.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by slq955
Does a printing error affect the grade/value of the book? I was looking at a New Mutants 98 copy that had part of the back cover carrying over to the front. The book appeared to be in excellent condition, just had that noticeable flaw.

This is referred to as "centering." It was pretty common for comic covers to be off-center during the 1960's. For example, look at a copy of Nick Fury Agent of SHIELD #2. In most prints the M, C, and G from the Marvel Comics Group Logo and the 1 from the 12 cents appear cut-off on the cover, but actually wrap-around to the back cover.

Here's an example I grabbed off the internet:

It does not add to the value, and some collectors want perfectly centered copies and may pay a little more for them if most copies are off-center.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Here's a scan of my Thor #126 also showing an off-center cut cover:

Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Quote:

This is referred to as "centering." It was pretty common for comic covers to be off-center during the 1960's. For example, look at a copy of Nick Fury Agent of SHIELD #2. In most prints the M, C, and G from the Marvel Comics Group Logo and the 1 from the 12 cents appear cut-off on the cover, but actually wrap-around to the back cover.

Here's and example I grabbed off the internet:

It does not add to the value, and some collectors want perfectly centered copies and may pay a little more for them if most copies are of-center.

Ah, the much sought after Arvel 2¢ variants.
Post 12 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I think the answer the OP was looking for was if printer defects will affect the CBCS grade.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I know that the cgc doesn't down grade for a printer's crease. I don't know about CBCS. Manufacturing errors will get the green label of death at the cgc. CBCS will downgrade the book.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector The_Curmudgeon private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I was looking at a New Mutants 98 copy that had part of the back cover carrying over to the front.

This "flaw" is commonly known as a miss-wrap, and doesn't affect the grade except for ultra-high grades.
No 10s with a miss-wrap, not sure about 9.9s, though.
Post 15 IP   flag post
I’m sure whatever it was you got me was perfect. PhantomEwan private msg quote post Address this user
I know CGC has graded secret wars 8 as a 9.9 with a bad wrap.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Here's some of my error or recall or destroy list toys or comics:

Missing Krang's Brain! I paid extra money for it's missing key character on a Mint on Card toy. Huge mistake from the factory. It is verified to not have been reglued or faked:

TMNT IDW #1 Jetpack Comics Error Edition Orange Cover (Should be blood red)

Solson Publications How to Draw TMNT #1 Error Edition misgraded by CGC as there is no yellow at all on the cover, and the background should be yellow for an immdiate giveaway hint

Huge Mistake right here: Someone at mirage studios accidentally put the cover of "TALES OF THE TMNT #1" on the second printing cover of TMNT #4!

All of those fetch extra high market prices because of said manufacturer's errors.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Thanks for the info on the printing flaw guys. The dealer had the book priced at $250, would that be an acceptable price with the flaw?
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Alexsolo private msg quote post Address this user
@slq955 $250 for what grade?
Post 19 IP   flag post
It wasn't graded, when looking at the book that was all I saw for problems with it. I know the 2015-2016 overstreet guide had a 9.2 priced at $150. But with a new year and how the movie is going, what would be an acceptable price for comfort level on spending.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Alexsolo private msg quote post Address this user
@slq955 Then it's a great price! Although I personally wouldn't buy a copy like that, I'm sort of a perfectionist when it comes to the comics I buy.
Post 21 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Here's one of the most unique printing errors I have ever seen. A mix up between the blue and red. There are several of these out there and command a pretty nice premium.

Post 22 IP   flag post
I would not pay that for New Mutants 98. That book is such a hot key book right now. You can find a better one without a weird wrap flaw. The comic book in question to the OP is not a manufacturer defect that would not interest most people like the examples shown in this thread.

If the OP New Mutants #98 was totally missing the color red on the cover, or had a double wrap cover, or something that would make it more interesting.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not a fan of most errors. I agree with KaptainMyke though. I'd be more inclined to want to own something that was clearly a manufacturing mistake (switched or missing colors and the like). A crease or mis-wrapped cover wouldn't have any special importance for me and I certainly wouldn't pay extra for it but that's just my opinion.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaComicsGuy
I'm not a fan of most errors. I agree with KaptainMyke though. I'd be more inclined to want to own something that was clearly a manufacturing mistake (switched or missing colors and the like). A crease or mis-wrapped cover wouldn't have any special importance for me and I certainly wouldn't pay extra for it but that's just my opinion.

Agreed 110%
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
It wasn't graded, when looking at the book that was all I saw for problems with it. I know the 2015-2016 overstreet guide had a 9.2 priced at $150. But with a new year and how the movie is going, what would be an acceptable price for comfort level on spending.

Did you see the book in hand or are you going by scans?

This is just a miswrap. It shouldn't affect the grade, but it can certainly affect the value if people don't like the how much of the BC is showing in front. But if it's sent for grading and there really is nothing else wrong with it (i.e. it would get a 9.8 label), then $250 is a good price. Plenty label hunters out there who don't care what the book looks like. You can resell it and buy something better.
Post 26 IP   flag post
I had the book in hand to look at. Just not sure if the $250 sounds to be too high right now for pricing or if it's the going rate.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
FWIW GPA shows 23 sales of CGC 9.0s for the last 90 days averaging $257↓
Post 28 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
I dont like the flaws that deal with creasing or inking defects. Print errors? Yes. JL51 getting the JL52 cover, for example, is one that I was happy to look for and one that went up in value pretty fast.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Spidey private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I had the book in hand to look at. Just not sure if the $250 sounds to be too high right now for pricing or if it's the going rate.

What did the completed auctions on eBay, Heritage, Comiclink, and MyComicShop say?
Post 30 IP   flag post
600777 43 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?