Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgeQuestions

Cleaning and grading Silver Surfer #411297

Collector daywalker private msg quote post Address this user
So I have a really nice copy of the iconic Silver Surfer #4. It has numbers written on it in what appears to be grease pencil. I actually don’t mind it, I think it’s nostalgic! But if I were to have it cleaned, do you think it would help or hurt the comic and grading? What does the comic community suggest!?!🤔
Post 1 IP   flag post

Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
They will not be able to remove it completely. I'd leave it as is on there.
Post 3 IP   flag post
@GanaSoth That’s what I thought! And I’m perfectly fine with that, just happy to have it in my collection!
Post 4 IP   flag post
@daywalker yeah it's a super beautiful book! Congrats man.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I’ve actually never submitted comics for grading. Is it best to send them in by age group? Like send a group of just Silver age, then a group of copper age etc...?
Post 6 IP   flag post
It doesn't matter really as long as it's identified correctly when submitting.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Haljordanfan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanaSoth
They will not be able to remove it completely. I'd leave it as is on there.

x2
Post 8 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Both of these comics had prices written in grease pencil at the upper right corner. I carefully used a white eraser and it appears to have removed them, and very easily. But then I tried it on another book where the writing was over white background, and the same technique left a faint but noticeable "shadow."

There are too many variables to draw a determination- Climate, type of grease pencil, duration on the paper, type of paper, etc.

I would think, looking at the way the numbers "bleed" at the boarders, a "shadow would be left behind.

If you plan to sell, target someone in San Diego and say it says. "619" rather than "6/9". lol

Post 9 IP   flag post
@Siggy This baby ain’t going anywhere!😃
Post 10 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
Both of these comics had prices written in grease pencil at the upper right corner. I carefully used a white eraser and it appears to have removed them, and very easily.

I too, have removed grease pencil using white eraser. It comes off fairly easily. That's a great book for sure. The 6/9 is right on top of a white SS so there will be residual markings or shadow. I would attempt to remove the grease pencil simply because of its placement on the book.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by daywalker
I’ve actually never submitted comics for grading. Is it best to send them in by age group? Like send a group of just Silver age, then a group of copper age etc...?

Main thing is to not cross services or your order will be split and you will end up with extra shipping charges.

i.e. don't send pressing and non pressing books, or verified signature with no press and pressing books or any combination there of.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
People don't have a problem with a BIG, GIANT Super Thick Black Sharpie saying "Stan Lee" on it that ugly as all hell (get the autographs INSIDE the indicia on old books folks), so I certainly don't see this as anything worse. In fact I find arrival dates a-ok and as part of the nostalgia of the book.

Yes, of course given the opportunity to have it magically go away on the book I'd do so, but that urge is barely minimal.
Post 13 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
As is it would probably be considered a date stamp and not affect the grade. If it doesn't come off completely, what's left behind will be considered a defect. I would leave it alone if I was going to have it graded.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Besides, "6" & "9" are usually very happy numbers, especially together.

Post 15 IP   flag post
598060 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?