Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

cgc video grading superman 111288

Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O

If I was in charge of the CBCS marketing department, I would capitalize on this by releasing a short video of a CBCS grader handling a Golden age key with extreme care during the grading process.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
I have my own testimonial about Matt Nelson’s grading that might shed some light on this. Please keep in mind that I think Matt is a decent fellow, but have reservations about the level of care he’s employed in the past when screening comics.

The incident which I’m relating occurred just prior to Matt joining CGC officially, while his service was in North Dallas. I had an appointment to bring in several comics for a pre-screen before sending them on for grading and arrived about 15 minutes early. No problem, my wife and I weren’t in any hurry.

Matt came out and greeted us while eating a ham sandwich and asked what we’d brought him to check out. I told him I’d just acquired a raw Phantom Lady #17 from Metro, spot graded as VF, but it looked NM to me. He said let me take a look at it. Note: He was still eating the ham sandwich.

Reluctantly, I handed him the book and he did a cursory check flipping through it nonchalantly ...still eating the sandwich. He initially said it does look better than VF, but would examine it more closely in his back office while we waited. As I recall we probably killed time looking over some books his partner Steve Ritter had on hand.

When Matt returned he diagnosed my book as having brittle pages. Moreover, while undergoing examination the book developed a page split at the spine. While late 40's Fox books are unquestionably notorious for poor PQ, the paper in my copy of PL #17 seemed supple enough during my handling of it. So, Matt's opinion didn’t correspond with my own. Nevertheless, I was paying for his expertise and the page split eliminated any prospects for a NM designation.

Instead of Matt sending the book on to CGC as pre-screened I decided to hold onto it and roll the dice later, submitting it along with several other books direct for grading via my friend John Verzyl. In the back of my mind I was hoping this book wouldn’t receive a brittle designation lowering the grade floor dramatically. When the book came back I was pleasantly surprised that the PQ was designated “PINK” with a 7.0 Universal grade designation.

To this day, I don’t believe the book had brittle pages even though it was a Fox book published during Victor Fox’s paper mill recycling period. So, was the book a 9.0 prior to the split page? Who knows! Did the ham sandwich play any role in the screening or mishandling of the book? Again, I’ll never know. I ended up selling the book through HA at a slight loss, but no regrets. It has probably doubled in value for the current owner today.

I’m not accusing Matt of any malaise for this incident, ...well mayonnaise maybe! This is purely anecdotal, ...to view as you wish and take away what you will. Shortly after this incident Matt received an offer to join CGC, moved to Florida as a VP over their fledgling screening and restoration removal division and the rest is history!
Post 52 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
#hamgate
Post 53 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
we mayo never know
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
@Jesse_O

If I was in charge of the CBCS marketing department, I would capitalize on this by releasing a short video of a CBCS grader handling a Golden age key with extreme care during the grading process.

This is the kind of thing CBCS should be doing immediately to set themselves apart from Cgc. Perfect opportunity to snatch some of that market share. Quick video of a comic being graded would be the smart thing to do.
Post 55 IP   flag post

Johnny, where are your buccaneers?
Johnny: Under my buccan hat.
Gotlift private msg quote post Address this user
I wonder if he washes his hands after he goes to the bathroom. You would think he would have acted better in front of a customer, just think what happens when no ones watching and he’s in his underwear...

Personally I don’t even like handling a book at a store or con. If I want it opened I ask the vendor or if room I’ll have him lay it down for close inspection and let his fingers do the walking.
🙀 Probably a good thing he doesn’t run a restaurant. 🖖
Post 56 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Would be fine as long as no mention of competitors
Post 57 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
@Jesse_O

This is the kind of thing CBCS should be doing immediately to set themselves apart from Cgc. Perfect opportunity to snatch some of that market share. Quick video of a comic being graded would be the smart thing to do.

It would have to shown that the video was shot before the CGC fiasco otherwise it'll appear staged and may backfire on CBCS.
Post 58 IP   flag post
Collector robertofredrico private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertofredrico
Quote:
With all the outrage over this video, I can't help but wonder if it will help CBCS get more submissions. It could be a busy con season for CBCS!

I don't know. Do you think submissions dropped for CBCS when they posted that video of Ricketts spinning the Avengers #4 on that table?

I think the video hurt pressing submissions for a minute or two. But that was a Silver Age book and even though he spun it, he didn't man handle it like in the CGC video.

I mean people are downright pissed about this. Look at the comments on ig or facebook. The Facebook post has 758 comments and 322 shares. And from what I have seen, those shares are not praising them for doing a great job. The ig video has 6,730 views and 284 comments. I've heard people saying that enough is enough. And they are not helping themselves by leaving these videos up.

But the thing is, the people who seem to be complaining seem to be type of people who elsewhere are arguing about what Punchline’s first appearance is.

Experienced comic dealers of Golden Age books like Love Anna, Roy Delic and others have come on and said that there was nothing wrong with the way the grader in the video handled the book. That nothing he did caused any damage to the book. It’s just an experienced professional who can do his job quickly after doing it for decades. I assume that’s why CGC has left the video up.

On the other hand, the video that CBCS posted of Ricketts with that Avengers #4 did possibly cause damage by leaving abrasions or scratches on the back cover. That’s why I assume in that instance, they did remove any trace of that video.

So I guess it comes down to if you want to pander to (excuse the term) fanboys who think they know everything about grading and handling books, but actually don’t, of if you let things stand and hope that these posters possibly learn how things actually work.
Post 59 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
With all the outrage over this video, I can't help but wonder if it will help CBCS get more submissions. It could be a busy con season for CBCS!

I don't know. Do you think submissions dropped for CBCS when they posted that video of Ricketts spinning the Avengers #4 on that table?

I think the video hurt pressing submissions for a minute or two. But that was a Silver Age book and even though he spun it, he didn't man handle it like in the CGC video.

I mean people are downright pissed about this. Look at the comments on ig or facebook. The Facebook post has 758 comments and 322 shares. And from what I have seen, those shares are not praising them for doing a great job. The ig video has 6,730 views and 284 comments. I've heard people saying that enough is enough. And they are not helping themselves by leaving these videos up.

But the thing is, the people who seem to be complaining seem to be type of people who elsewhere are arguing about what Punchline’s first appearance is.

Experienced comic dealers of Golden Age books like Love Anna, Roy Delic and others have come on and said that there was nothing wrong with the way the grader in the video handled the book. That nothing he did caused any damage to the book. It’s just an experienced professional who can do his job quickly after doing it for decades. I assume that’s why CGC has left the video up.

On the other hand, the video that CBCS posted of Ricketts with that Avengers #4 did possibly cause damage by leaving abrasions or scratches on the back cover. That’s why I assume in that instance, they did remove any trace of that video.

So I guess it comes down to if you want to pander to (excuse the term) fanboys who think they know everything about grading and handling books, but actually don’t, of if you let things stand and hope that these posters possibly learn how things actually work.

My personal belief is that no damage was done to either comic in those videos. There is no proof to the contrary, so debating it is a moot point in my opinion. I have no opinion on the comic dealers you mentioned. They are entitled to their opinion just like everyone else.

Here is the crux of the matter for me: the grader in the CGC video showed no respect of the age and value of the comic at all. He could have taken 3 more seconds and counted the pages in a more respectful manner. He was being filmed and he knew it. He could have shown more respect. He didn't. If that is how he treats a 6 figure comic in front of a camera, how is he going to treat a 100 dollar comic in the grading room? It is the perception of no respect and a cavalier attitude towards people's concerns that is hurting CGC right now.
Post 60 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
The last thing I handled that roughly resulted in charges being filed.
Post 61 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Matt seems to be a nice guy sometimes, and sometimes he can be a real pain.

I emailed him once because there was this post in a facebook group, a guy was complaining about CGC. What had happened was, he send a cracked slab to be reholdered. The crack was aesthetic, not causing any damage. But when they cracked it out, they decided it was no longer a 9.8. So they emailed him and said he'd have to get it pressed to have any chance of "maintaining the same grade."

Long story short, he did that because they gave him no choice, and it came back a 9.6, and he was pissed that they even graded it in the first place, instead of just replacing the holder.

Which shocked me. I just think that's fundamentally wrong, to act like they can change the grade after the fact like that. It isn't their book ... he already paid for the grade, and the most MOST they should do is say, we can't put it in a new holder, because we no longer believe it is that grade, so we'll have to send it back to you like this. Or, if you want, we can press and re-grade it.

So, I emailed Matt, because I had been about to send in 8-10 slabs for review, some with really wrong-seeming grades. Three of those I was going to send in as examples, not to be re-evaluated, but rather to give evidence to my point (at that time), that their grading standards had clearly changed in the previous year. At that time, a lot of people online had noted this change, and I did as well, with 9.6 grades suddenly getting a 9.2 or 9.0; and 9.8's getting 9.6 or 9.4. So the idea was, I'll show three 9.0+ examples I got back in January, so he can see that the new grades are clearly, and consistently, different.

But I sure didn't want Matt to downgrade those samples! One was a 9.8 from 1980. A forty year old book, a lot of times a 9.8 grade depends on the approach, or even the mood, of the particular grader. Anyone could justify changing it to a 9.6 if they wanted to. So I asked: does CGC ever actually do this?? Downgrade a comic that was only sent in for a new holder?

Anyway, I never got a straight answer. He was all over the place, trying not to say definitively that it could happen. The best I got was, "If your books and holders are free of damage, then I wouldn't worry." Of course, ANY defect could be used to downgrade a book, and then all they'd have to say is, "Well, it must have been damaged after the original grade."

I don't know what people here think, but it would totally piss me off if a reholder became anything other than a reholder. They graded it once, and they sure as shit don't have the right to change that grade after the fact, no matter what happened in the meantime.
Post 62 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
test
Post 63 IP   flag post
I'm not able to post on a different thread for some reason, so I just tried a test here. It worked.
Post 64 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@Tedsaid she story is that it depends where the crack is - if it is obvious that the crack did not impact the comic - then no regrading - but if the crack did impact the comic - the grade is no longer valid.

i have about a handful of cracked comics - once i reach a meaningful number - i will send in for reholdering
Post 65 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Matt seems to be a nice guy sometimes, and sometimes he can be a real pain.

I emailed him once because there was this post in a facebook group, a guy was complaining about CGC. What had happened was, he send a cracked slab to be reholdered. The crack was aesthetic, not causing any damage. But when they cracked it out, they decided it was no longer a 9.8. So they emailed him and said he'd have to get it pressed to have any chance of "maintaining the same grade."

Long story short, he did that because they gave him no choice, and it came back a 9.6, and he was pissed that they even graded it in the first place, instead of just replacing the holder.

Which shocked me. I just think that's fundamentally wrong, to act like they can change the grade after the fact like that. It isn't their book ... he already paid for the grade, and the most MOST they should do is say, we can't put it in a new holder, because we no longer believe it is that grade, so we'll have to send it back to you like this. Or, if you want, we can press and re-grade it.

So, I emailed Matt, because I had been about to send in 8-10 slabs for review, some with really wrong-seeming grades. Three of those I was going to send in as examples, not to be re-evaluated, but rather to give evidence to my point (at that time), that their grading standards had clearly changed in the previous year. At that time, a lot of people online had noted this change, and I did as well, with 9.6 grades suddenly getting a 9.2 or 9.0; and 9.8's getting 9.6 or 9.4. So the idea was, I'll show three 9.0+ examples I got back in January, so he can see that the new grades are clearly, and consistently, different.

But I sure didn't want Matt to downgrade those samples! One was a 9.8 from 1980. A forty year old book, a lot of times a 9.8 grade depends on the approach, or even the mood, of the particular grader. Anyone could justify changing it to a 9.6 if they wanted to. So I asked: does CGC ever actually do this?? Downgrade a comic that was only sent in for a new holder?

Anyway, I never got a straight answer. He was all over the place, trying not to say definitively that it could happen. The best I got was, "If your books and holders are free of damage, then I wouldn't worry." Of course, ANY defect could be used to downgrade a book, and then all they'd have to say is, "Well, it must have been damaged after the original grade."

I don't know what people here think, but it would totally piss me off if a reholder became anything other than a reholder. They graded it once, and they sure as shit don't have the right to change that grade after the fact, no matter what happened in the meantime.

That happens for a reholder if the case has been cracked. I do agree with that if it’s no longer the grade it gets what it is now. It’s a chance you take when you beholder a cracked case. Also it’s true depends on how the graders are feeling that day
Post 66 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
I had a Ff 5 5.0 CBCS and liked the CGC labels better at the time. So I figured send it in to CGC and came back PLOD. Lol was not happy but shit happens. Bought it a long time ago so when I sold it I still came out ahead but not as much as I would have. Nature of the beast
Post 67 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@Steverogers11 ?
Post 68 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
@Tedsaid she story is that it depends where the crack is - if it is obvious that the crack did not impact the comic - then no regrading - but if the crack did impact the comic - the grade is no longer valid.

i have about a handful of cracked comics - once i reach a meaningful number - i will send in for reholdering

In this case, the crack did not impact the grade. The poster provided pictures. The response from CGC was: sometimes a comic can get "shaken" inside the case, and have impacts inside the case, that require a regrade, and "it looks like that happened in this case."
Post 69 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson

Did you file charges against yourself?
Post 70 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
Quote:

The way he picked up that chocolate birthday cake was criminal. And messy.
Post 71 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

I've seen you in your underwear and this is the thanks I get?
Post 72 IP   flag post
Collector Kav private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlift
Wow. For a book that valuable I would think more care and a more thorough examination would be required
No check for tares or holes in pages
No check for pages separated from staples
No check for tape on pages or taped or glued in page
No fine check for writing on pages
No check for trimming
No check for color touch
A question arises
Is this a actual grading or just them showing off. “Hey look at us”
I’m sure they don’t see this book everyday so imagine being the owner of this book and seeing them handle his/her book that’s 80+ years old and somewhat brittle
If Me I would drive to CGC and ask to see the owner or main man. I’d play the video and say “WTF”
So even if it was them just showing off my hair would be on fire. It a real shiff show and I would pull that off and tell everyone that they fired that guy.
Here’s another “WOW”. 🖖
Post 73 IP   flag post
Collector Kav private msg quote post Address this user
Keep in mind he was not grading the book but doing a free page count/eval with owner present.
Post 74 IP   flag post
@Kav
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kav
Keep in mind he was not grading the book but doing a free page count/eval with owner present.

That’s true.
Post 75 IP   flag post
@DrWatson
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I've seen you in your underwear and this is the thanks I get?

Guys, your PMs are showing up on the thread.
Post 76 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlift
I wonder if he washes his hands after he goes to the bathroom. You would think he would have acted better in front of a customer, just think what happens when no ones watching and he’s in his underwear...

@Gotlift LOL, I'm guessing it involves a plate full of tater tots and Anime.
Post 77 IP   flag post
Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
This guy has a sense of humor: New CGC grading video
Post 78 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@Despain 9 out of 10, only because those aren't flaming hot cheetos.
Post 79 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
That is hilarious. 😂😂😂😂
Post 80 IP   flag post
598080 80 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?