Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

cgc video grading superman 111288

Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@Studley_Dudley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
To me, it looked worse than it really was just based on the speed of the playback. Comics aren't like babies where you can just manhandle them. They need to be treated with kindness and care.

You manhandle babies?
Post 26 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I can neither confirm nor deny that. I will admit to enjoying the practice of making them.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I showed my wife the video that @Jesse_O posted. First I want to mention that my wife sees me use gloves sometimes like when reading my Doomsday Clock books or evaluating my older books. I also told her that the book is worth about $20K. Here is my wife's comments. "So this book is worth $20K, why is he not wearing gloves?" She also said this guy looks like a serial killer with his glasses over his hat. She said he give guys like me who love comics a bad image. She said "look at this guy getting all worked up over this" I invite you guys to show this to your spouse. It would be interesting to get feedback of their views.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Post 29 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
This guy did a youtube video on it. You can skip the first 3:50 of it. He definitely is worked up over it!!!

"LOOK AT THAT! LOOK... AT... THAT"

lolololololololololool
Post 30 IP   flag post

Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
What's with the 3 minutes intro of music and the psychedelic love heart swirl intro ?
Post 31 IP   flag post
Video was posted on March 1st. At the end of the video he says “April 1st is two months away”.

That is one stressed out comic collector.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
@southerncross

He did it live
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
My biggest issue is the way he initially lifts it up. I doubt he actually damages it, but definitely could have spine creased. There are chunks of paper missing out of several pages, so I don't think (unless he had already been through it once) the way he turned pages was the best idea. It didn't look sped up to me. It looks like he may have created an issue on the right side of the front cover with bending the entire book with each thumb swipe. I think we've all made a mistake before. Dropping something, sliding something in wrong. putting it in a box and catching a corner; having comics slide down while in a box creating a bend. But we are very careful as to reduce the probability of these issues. Even the best surgeon makes a mistake if they don't stay vigilante at every second. I think it odd, they would post this and not expect some negative responses/feedback based on the handling.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Consider this. How are books handled when the cameras are off?
Post 35 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
I invite you guys to show this to your spouse. It would be interesting to get feedback of their views.

I showed it to my wife and she said "Why are you talking to me? Go back to your little comic book gossip group. In case I haven't told you...I want a divorce". But hey, @BrianGreensnips, I still think it was a good suggestion.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Quote:
I invite you guys to show this to your spouse. It would be interesting to get feedback of their views.

I showed it to my wife and she said "Why are you talking to me? Go back to your little comic book gossip group. In case I haven't told you...I want a divorce". But hey, @BrianGreensnips, I still think it was a good suggestion.
Thanks for trying.
Post 37 IP   flag post
@moodswing
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
@southerncross

He did it live

Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
I've known Matt Nelson for years. The man knows how to handle comics.

Quote:
This guy did a youtube video on it. You can skip the first 3:50 of it. He definitely is worked up over it!!!

I made it through about two minutes of that before I just couldn't stand it anymore. Word of advice for this guy - next time you make a video, maybe think about NOT wearing the hat that looks like it's part of a penis costume.
Post 39 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Quote:

@EbaySeller, I gave you 3 checkmarks because at least you’re wife is still talking to you! Lucky…
Post 40 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCovers
I've known Matt Nelson for years. The man knows how to handle comics.

Quote:

I made it through about two minutes of that before I just couldn't stand it anymore. Word of advice for this guy - next time you make a video, maybe think about NOT wearing the hat that looks like it's part of a penis costume.

He would have looked better with a white beanie.

Then he could imitate Pappa Smurf
Post 41 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
This is right up there with spinning an Avengers 4 round and round on a table.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
I saw this and about fell out.

clickable text
Post 43 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
With all the outrage over this video, I can't help but wonder if it will help CBCS get more submissions. It could be a busy con season for CBCS!
Post 44 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
Sadly Jesse don’t think much will change
Post 45 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverogers11
Sadly Jesse don’t think much will change

The slabbing business is a game of industry allies. Right now CGC has too many and CBCS has too few. Time and reputation can help, but somehow CBCS has to break through with more big players in the industry.
Post 46 IP   flag post
I can't imagine where people got this idea that CGC graders wear gloves.

Post 47 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcanes
I saw this and about fell out.

clickable text

Hahaha, that's awesome.

I recognize that guy's name ... he's from Little Giant Comics. Click the link and scroll down to yesterday's post, have a look at the loot he is prepping for the next show.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Collector robertofredrico private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
With all the outrage over this video, I can't help but wonder if it will help CBCS get more submissions. It could be a busy con season for CBCS!

I don't know. Do you think submissions dropped for CBCS when they posted that video of Ricketts spinning the Avengers #4 on that table?
Post 49 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertofredrico
Quote:

I don't know. Do you think submissions dropped for CBCS when they posted that video of Ricketts spinning the Avengers #4 on that table?

I think the video hurt pressing submissions for a minute or two. But that was a Silver Age book and even though he spun it, he didn't man handle it like in the CGC video.

I mean people are downright pissed about this. Look at the comments on ig or facebook. The Facebook post has 758 comments and 322 shares. And from what I have seen, those shares are not praising them for doing a great job. The ig video has 6,730 views and 284 comments. I've heard people saying that enough is enough. And they are not helping themselves by leaving these videos up.
Post 50 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O

If I was in charge of the CBCS marketing department, I would capitalize on this by releasing a short video of a CBCS grader handling a Golden age key with extreme care during the grading process.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
I have my own testimonial about Matt Nelson’s grading that might shed some light on this. Please keep in mind that I think Matt is a decent fellow, but have reservations about the level of care he’s employed in the past when screening comics.

The incident which I’m relating occurred just prior to Matt joining CGC officially, while his service was in North Dallas. I had an appointment to bring in several comics for a pre-screen before sending them on for grading and arrived about 15 minutes early. No problem, my wife and I weren’t in any hurry.

Matt came out and greeted us while eating a ham sandwich and asked what we’d brought him to check out. I told him I’d just acquired a raw Phantom Lady #17 from Metro, spot graded as VF, but it looked NM to me. He said let me take a look at it. Note: He was still eating the ham sandwich.

Reluctantly, I handed him the book and he did a cursory check flipping through it nonchalantly ...still eating the sandwich. He initially said it does look better than VF, but would examine it more closely in his back office while we waited. As I recall we probably killed time looking over some books his partner Steve Ritter had on hand.

When Matt returned he diagnosed my book as having brittle pages. Moreover, while undergoing examination the book developed a page split at the spine. While late 40's Fox books are unquestionably notorious for poor PQ, the paper in my copy of PL #17 seemed supple enough during my handling of it. So, Matt's opinion didn’t correspond with my own. Nevertheless, I was paying for his expertise and the page split eliminated any prospects for a NM designation.

Instead of Matt sending the book on to CGC as pre-screened I decided to hold onto it and roll the dice later, submitting it along with several other books direct for grading via my friend John Verzyl. In the back of my mind I was hoping this book wouldn’t receive a brittle designation lowering the grade floor dramatically. When the book came back I was pleasantly surprised that the PQ was designated “PINK” with a 7.0 Universal grade designation.

To this day, I don’t believe the book had brittle pages even though it was a Fox book published during Victor Fox’s paper mill recycling period. So, was the book a 9.0 prior to the split page? Who knows! Did the ham sandwich play any role in the screening or mishandling of the book? Again, I’ll never know. I ended up selling the book through HA at a slight loss, but no regrets. It has probably doubled in value for the current owner today.

I’m not accusing Matt of any malaise for this incident, ...well mayonnaise maybe! This is purely anecdotal, ...to view as you wish and take away what you will. Shortly after this incident Matt received an offer to join CGC, moved to Florida as a VP over their fledgling screening and restoration removal division and the rest is history!
Post 52 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
#hamgate
Post 53 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
we mayo never know
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
@Jesse_O

If I was in charge of the CBCS marketing department, I would capitalize on this by releasing a short video of a CBCS grader handling a Golden age key with extreme care during the grading process.

This is the kind of thing CBCS should be doing immediately to set themselves apart from Cgc. Perfect opportunity to snatch some of that market share. Quick video of a comic being graded would be the smart thing to do.
Post 55 IP   flag post
601460 80 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?