Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature VSPComics Restoration and ConservationQuestionsSignatures

Pressing signed comic books?11271

Collector Madman private msg quote post Address this user
Hello all, I am new to the grading and slab process. I have been collecting since I was a kid. My question is: Can autographed comics be "pressed and cleaned" without the risk of damaging the autographs? I have a lot of books autographed since way before the grading companies opened for business. Most of them with their respective COAs. I really want to get them cleaned, graded and slabbed. Thank you for your time.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
@Madman Welcome to the forums!
Yes, comics that have autographs can be cleaned without worrying about it damaging the integrity of the signature. When they clean & press they "dry clean" and do not dip the comics in solution. That would be more among the lines of conservation or preserving.

PS: CGC will not care if you have COAs. If they don't witness the signature first hand, it will not get a signature series slab.
CBCS on the other hand is far superior & offers Signature Verification services.
Post 2 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Yes.
Post 3 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Madman welcome!!!!

Yes, signed comics can be pressed and cleaned. If signatures were not witness by CBCS or CGC (after a certain date I believe) then you'll get a red/verified label....assuming the signature passes verification. COAs are inconsequential.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman
Hello all, I am new to the grading and slab process. I have been collecting since I was a kid. My question is: Can autographed comics be "pressed and cleaned" without the risk of damaging the autographs? I have a lot of books autographed since way before the grading companies opened for business. Most of them with their respective COAs. I really want to get them cleaned, graded and slabbed. Thank you for your time.
You might be careful with pencil signatures and to notate them accordingly when submitting as anything done with pencil can be removed....although a good cleaner can work around it
Post 5 IP   flag post
Thanks to all, all the signatures were done in gold or silver pens, sharpies, and paint pens used by the artists. Any suggestions on a good company for the press and clean job? I will keep my COAs when submitting them for grading. I read somewhere that they are not necessary but good to have. Thanks again
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@Madman There might be issue with the ones signed with paint pens. They behave differently than sharpie
Post 7 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@Madman

If you are comfortable with the turn-around-time, you may want to employ CBCS’s “in-house” pressing service.
Post 8 IP   flag post
My books have been kept in a large pelican case since the early 90's. I don't mind the turn around time. I replaced the bags and boards every 8 to 10 years to keep them protected.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman
Thanks to all, all the signatures were done in gold or silver pens, sharpies, and paint pens used by the artists. Any suggestions on a good company for the press and clean job? I will keep my COAs when submitting them for grading. I read somewhere that they are not necessary but good to have. Thanks again

Many turn to Avery Pressing. I have not had any books pressed, but only hear how good the Avery service is.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash

Many turn to Avery Pressing. I have not had any books pressed, but only hear how good the Avery service is.

Josh Avery does good work, and the TAT is usually two or three weeks.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Hello again and thanks to everyone helping me out with this. I am getting all my books ready to send them to CBCS for pressing, cleaning, verify signatures, graded and slabbed. My las question is: The VSP price says $25/book and $15 for additional signature. Does that mean if one of my books is signed by 2 persons it's $40, 3 persons $55 and so on for each book? Thanks to all in advance.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
Yep.
Post 13 IP   flag post
601378 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?