Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Pop CultureQuestions

First appearances discussion: Character on the cover VS not on the cover11268

Collector Donnied private msg quote post Address this user
@Siggy - That's a good point. The tiny cameo in JO134 is followed up by another, slightly bigger cameo, in JO135, then a full appearance in FP1, then even later his first cover appearance in NG2. I think the FP1 should be the key.
Post 76 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
@kon_jelly

I think your two questions are a pretty good start.

If the answer on the two is different, then you have to ask why.

And that answer is usually market related.

Problem solved. World peace, next?

But seriously, could Marvel do something to crash 181 by making Wolverine a Skrull or something
that would make that no longer his first appearance?

Do we have any examples of that?

Or do we think it’s even possible to happen?

The “first appearance” of Domino could apply. The character “appears” in New Mutants 98. It’s later revealed not to be her.

If that book was not the first Deadpool, I wonder where it would fall on the list of necessary pick-ups for Domino fans?

Ha! I almost disqualified that because of the Deadpool first appearance.

But, that's a good example. Now if they revealed Deadpool to be an impostor, too...
Post 77 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despain
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
I've tried to make sense of this situation and I've always failed. IH180 vs IH181 is the obvious and most recognized example. I wish I could understand how the market reconciles this and I wish the rationale was consistent. I have no idea.

For me, a first appearance is a first appearance period, on cover or not shouldn't make a difference.

I agree. In addition to your point, Wolverine is also called Weapon X for the first time in Hulk 180, which makes him more part of the story than just the one panel appearance.

Great point!!
Post 78 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
This is somewhat off topic, but still about the inconsistencies of 1st appearances.

Capes #1 & Agents #6 contain 5 pages from the upcoming Walking Dead #1.
Amazing Spider-Man #365 contains 5 pages from the upcoming Spider-Man 2099.

Per CGC, Capes & Agents are considered mere "Previews" while ASM is heralded as a "1st Appearance".

CBCS labels these books too, but I never saw one or don't recall what they say. If the same, I'd really love to know the reasoning.
Post 79 IP   flag post
Collector BrashSmurf private msg quote post Address this user
I also don't understand this

Capes and agents should be the first appearance of Rick Grimes.

Maybe spiderman 2099 gets the first appearance because it's in a spiderman book
Post 80 IP   flag post

Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, I have a Capes #1 and not a WD #1, BUT THAT'S BESIDE THE POINT
Seriously, this makes zero sense. All I can figure (and it shouldn't even make a difference) is that the Money Ship has sailed on the Walking Dead, and no one wants to rock that boat.

"What?!? Now you're saying this book I spent $20,000 (that's right- a CGC Universal 9.9) is NOT the 1st Appearance of...?!?"

If that is at ALL accurate, that's weak as hell.
Post 81 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Same thing with DC Comics Presents 26. Raven, Starfire, and Cyborg first appear in a preview story.
Post 82 IP   flag post
It'$ time we $tand up for the truth! Cape$ #1 (and Agent$ #6) I$ the 1$t Appearance of The Walking Dead.
Post 83 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not sure what can be done to change the mind of the market if sound reasoning isn't working.

Is there an example of the market ever changing its mind?
Post 84 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
Seriously, this makes zero sense. All I can figure (and it shouldn't even make a difference) is that the Money Ship has sailed on the Walking Dead, and no one wants to rock that boat.

"What?!? Now you're saying this book I spent $20,000 (that's right- a CGC Universal 9.9) is NOT the 1st Appearance of...?!?"

I have to agree with you here its capes 1 and agents 6 that share the first appearance of rick grimes.

the cost of TWD 1 aside. you are probably right though that collectors would flip, but first appearances have changed before
Post 85 IP   flag post
Quote:

Does it really matter if it is Rick Grimes first appearance or not? It's still the Walking Dead #1. And for the record, I do not own any thing Walking Dead. I hate the comic, the show, and anything zombie related... except the song, Zombie, by the Cranberries.
Post 86 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:

Does it really matter if it is Rick Grimes first appearance or not? It's still the Walking Dead #1. And for the record, I do not own any thing Walking Dead. I hate the comic, the show, and anything zombie related... except the song, Zombie, by the Cranberries.

as a hardcore zombie fan i own both TWD1 and capes. I consider capes1 and agents6 the first appearance. it came out like a month before at my lcs.
Post 87 IP   flag post
That's fine, but my point is that it is in demand because it's Waling Dead #1, regardless of first appearances.
Post 88 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Does the length of the preview contribute to determining something a first appearance?

How long is the preview in Capes 1 compared to ASM 365?
Post 89 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
Does the length of the preview contribute to determining something a first appearance?

How long is the preview in Capes 1 compared to ASM 365?

both are 5 page previews
Post 90 IP   flag post
Quote:
That's fine, but my point is that it is in demand because it's Waling Dead #1, regardless of first appearances.

I wouldn't expect the value to trade places, though I wouldn't mind Capes getting a bump, but my point is the weak inconsistency. If ASM #365's label says "1st Appearance", it would be nice if Capes #1 & Agents #6 labels said the same.
Or vice versa. Of course that would piss off the people who paid around $300 for the ASM.
It looks cheap.

I personally think it's the 1st appearance of Rick. Beyond that, let the coins fall where they may.
Post 91 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

I wouldn't expect the value to trade places, though I wouldn't mind Capes getting a bump, but my point is the weak inconsistency. If ASM #365's label says "1st Appearance", it would be nice if Capes #1 & Agents #6 labels said the same.
Or vice versa. Of course that would piss off the people who paid around $300 for the ASM.
It looks cheap.

I personally think it's the 1st appearance of Rick. Beyond that, let the coins fall where they may.

i agree, its the first appearance of rick. should get the absolute vertigo treatment. Rick grimes appearance. pre-dates TWD#1
Post 92 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

I don't know about changing it's mind, but definitely sometimes accept new information. I remember when the emphasis on Rocket Raccoon 1st shifted from the Hulk comic to the Marvel Preview magazine.
Post 93 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

I don't know about changing it's mind, but definitely sometimes accept new information. I remember when the emphasis on Rocket Raccoon 1st shifted from the Hulk comic to the Marvel Preview magazine.

The Market (us) shouldn't have anything to do with how TPGs label this IMO
Post 94 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Going to be even more confusing in the future with all these commissioned variants that sometimes have first appearances on covers before the character has a cameo or appearance in the book.
Post 95 IP   flag post
600694 95 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?