Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern Age

Which of these Minor Firsts do you like for value increase in next 2 years?11237

Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Strange Tales #114 announces the return of Captain America, and he’s shown on the cover, but it’s really the Acrobat in disguise. That issue came out four months before Avengers #4. You know which one is worth a lot more.

Clearly and completely illustrates my point...the Red Skull we see in TOS 65 is also an impostor (Maxxon) , and the origin story is a retelling of the Skull's origin from the original series. Neither is a true first appearance of the actual red skull IN the silver age itself.IN issue 63 the groudwork was laid by also retelling the first origin of Captain America in the silver age as well.
In issue 73 more of the same...finally in issue 79 of TOS we are given a new and unique story to the red skull , the first told since the golden age...the true and first red skull in the silver age.

So for me the book is underappreciated, and will move up as people realize the older stories within the title are retellings whereas the story in issue 79 is new and fresh material.

We distinguish the latter appearance of a character like Domino vs the original appearance for impostor reasons yet try and argue somehow the same wouldnt apply in this case?

in any event I think even the confusion and debate helps create more demand for issue 79 as well
Post 26 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
These type of threads always end up devolving into the same familiar debates. I'm convinced that a couple of my fellow forum members are debate bots.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Odd you would label the paths taken by a discussion you began as devolving.….I hardly see a healthy discussion of a topic as devolving along as people retain respect and aren't insulting and degrading one another.Its the differences in opinion that insure that there are always enough copies of the books I want that I can get one too
Post 28 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Odd you would label the paths taken by a discussion you began as devolving

Yeah, I agree. I considered "evolve" but "devolve" fit better with the words "same familiar debate".
So instead of debating what constitutes a first appearance, maybe we discuss/debate forward...which I think your posts were encouraging also. What "minor" is likely to turn into a "major"? I like your contribution of Grail, even though I don't know the character. That was informative for me. Who has lost momentum but is likely to regain momentum? I've watched characters like Elektra or Cable or Gambit gain and lose momentum over the years. In the list I put up I like Echo best for longer term. A couple of responses preferred Kyle Raynor for near-term based on upcoming TV show. I also agree with that.
Post 29 IP   flag post
I guess a few more books I am watching would be the modern day series, June 2010, Brave and bold 33, starring Batgirl and Zatanna and wonder woman...as it fills in some backstory of the Crippling of Barbara Gordon, which will become more central if Birds of Prey catches a sequel or two.
I am fond of Aparao's run in Aventure comics doing the spectre…..issues around 431-440 purely for the stories and art.

I think x men 166 still has wings and will go much higher .

Watching out for the various new mutants in the upcoming movie, that New mutants 14 an some of her other key books will likely benefit.

I am also fond of Marvel Preview 7, the very first appearance of Rocket racoon....dark color cover makes it hard to find in grade.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Watching out for the various new mutants in the upcoming movie, that New mutants 14 an some of her other key books will likely benefit.

I apologize for my ignorance on this. I just know it's the first appearance of Lockheed. Or are you referring to first appearance of Golgotha from #166 of v2?
Post 31 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Quote:

I apologize for my ignorance on this. I just know it's the first appearance of Lockheed. Or are you referring to first appearance of Golgotha from #166 of v2?
I believe 166 is the first Lockheed and has room to grow yes...as far as that goes so does 164 as well.
Lockheed is a character most overlook but has become somewhat mainstream . I owned a cat for 14 years named for Lockheed....
Post 32 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
166? Do you mean 160?
Post 33 IP   flag post
Neither overstreet nor MCS states a first appearance for Lockheed the dragon, but google contends it is 166....are you referencing a previous showing of the dragon before it was taken and named Lockheed?
Post 34 IP   flag post
As an aside Dr Watson, if you have useful further information or clarification here I would be greatful. I tend to collet and keep a small box of books and so forth related to Lockheed as a tribute to my long since passed cat of the same name. BY all means fill in the gaps if I am lacking please
Post 35 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I thought he meant Magik, which is 160 as a teenager. Lockheed is 166 as Kitty finds him while battling the Brood.
Post 36 IP   flag post
601452 36 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?