Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
This was shared on Facebook. The guy who submitted it knew the pages were missing and wanted just a regular blue label with the .5 grade. Instead, CGC gave it a qualified, or green, 7.0 label. They did this automatically without contacting him. I just don't get it. Why would they assume someone wants their make believe grade?

Post 1 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user

Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O Yeah CBCS goes with a Green label by default. You have to opt-in for a blue label. Maybe the person that submitted thought it was the other way around?
Post 3 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry.... what’s the green label mean?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector bige31 private msg quote post Address this user
@HeinzDad means something is missing from the book, or a staple is loose, or a signature written in the book. It gives it a qualified grade. Since there’s an imperfection.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Copy that, thanks.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I Have no words for this that can be stated on here
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@HeinzDad A green label means there is some major flaw on the book but the rest of the book is all roughly of the same grade so the major flaw is ignored and the book is given the higher grade it would’ve received had that flaw not been present.

This is used a lot of time when there is an unwitnessed signature or sketch. If the signing/sketch was witnessed they would not detract from the grade but by blue label grading standards they would count as writing/drawing on a book and decrease the grade. A green label lets the grader not lower the grade for the signature/sketch while not giving the signature authenticity as a witnessed signature/sketch.

However, green labels can be problematic because the issue that is ignored can be so significant that the assigned grade bears little meaning. In the example above the book is missing pages so it is incomplete and would likely have gotten a 0.5 or even an NG (No Grade) but because CGC is ignoring the missing pages it receives a 7, which serves little purpose other than giving a book a higher grade, which I guess is supposed to make collectors happy.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
too bad the front and back covers weren't immaculate, the book might have gotten a meaningless 9.6

this nonsense is a disservice to the hobby
Post 9 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

I specifically asked for a blue label and look what I got
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector obiwan1971 private msg quote post Address this user
What I find so amazing about this, is that they apparently will ignore any defect no matter how big. So I’ll submit a book that is a cover and like 2 or 3 pages. Maybe I can get a green 9.0 if they look nice enough lmao
Post 11 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
IMO, green labels are like imagery stories, they don't count and allow you to lie. I think they were designed by CGC at the request of dealers who wanted to be able to get fake high grades for big money books - like Hulk 181's missing the Marvel Value Stamp. Sure, it's graded 9.0, so what if it's missing a coupon or a page or two? We'll give you a discount and only charge you the 7.0 price for a 0.5 book. What a deal!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy49
too bad the front and back covers weren't immaculate, the book might have gotten a meaningless 9.6

this nonsense is a disservice to the hobby

My thoughts exactly!!

@kaptainmyke But you asked for the blue label. In my mind, since they are doing this anyways, it should be the other way around. You should have to request a green label. I'm sure they do it this way to help people accept it more. The more people see green labels, the more they become used to them, the more they accept them.

I call it a "make believe label" because they are basically saying, "let's make believe this defect doesn't exist."
Post 13 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
IMO, green labels are like imagery stories, they don't count and allow you to lie. I think they were designed by CGC at the request of dealers who wanted to be able to get fake high grades for big money books - like Hulk 181's missing the Marvel Value Stamp. Sure, it's graded 9.0, so what if it's missing a coupon or a page or two? We'll give you a discount and only charge you the 7.0 price for a 0.5 book. What a deal!

You sooooooooooooooooooooo hit the nail on the head. Wow. Perfecto! Exactly what I feel
Post 14 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by obiwan1971
What I find so amazing about this, is that they apparently will ignore any defect no matter how big. So I’ll submit a book that is a cover and like 2 or 3 pages. Maybe I can get a green 9.0 if they look nice enough lmao

You might, but if the words "Most Pages Missing" are put on the label, I think you might get more laughs than CGC would, because you'd have paid them to do it.

It's all perspective. A person who HATES signatures on comics will mock Green Labels because they feel signatures are defects. People who sell comics probably hate the Green Label the most because some feel "Green" AUTOMATICALLY means "bad", so they pass without more than a color check. Imagine how many sweet books have been turned down because some can't be bothered to read the label.

If a collector who does not sell had a NM+ Silver Age book he had signed on the Splash by someone before 3rd Party Grading, and if he were the type of collector that freaks out at a 9.4 or lower grade, the Green Label would be the way to go if they choose to go with CGC, or are unaware of CBCS's VSP program.

There are 'good' reasons for the Green Label, but for things like missing pages/coupons or outright damage inside, it should poopoo brown lol
Post 15 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah people buying the 181 with no stamp green label. I pick up copies on the cheap with missing stamp grade them and resale. If somebody wants it I’m. It gonna argue with them
Post 16 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I'm going to ask CGC to ignore all the flaws on my books so I get back 10s.
Post 17 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
@kaptainmyke But you asked for the blue label.

Oh I agree I'm not arguing with your topic. I was just sharing the other side of the argument that often people request a special circumstance to override a green label to compare the grade hit. I estimate the book is probably a 4.0 but got hit an entire point for the writing on cover that I witnessed him sign personally. This book is especially sentimental for me as it's the first time I ever met Stan Lee.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
I generally agree with all this, but just to play a little devil’s advocate...

The hobby standards for most flaws stay the same, but not all of them. MVSs are a bigger deal now than they used to be (or so it seems to me). Even more so with things like the Tatooz insert in ASM 238 (and others). Look at a price guide from six or seven years ago and it will specifically say the absence of the Tatooz has no impact on price. Today? It’s a huge thing. I can see the argument for green labels in circumstances like these.

Still wouldn’t want a green label, though.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
You should have to request a green label. I'm sure they do it this way to help people accept it more. The more people see green labels, the more they become used to them, the more they accept them.

I call it a "make believe label" because they are basically saying, "let's make believe this defect doesn't exist."

But what about this special circumstance, Jesse? You can't get a Peter Laird signature anymore now as he retired from signing books and toys at Mirage Studios in 2019. This was the only way I could get both of these men to sign this book for me.

Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Quote:
You should have to request a green label. I'm sure they do it this way to help people accept it more. The more people see green labels, the more they become used to them, the more they accept them.

But what about this special circumstance, Jesse? You can't get a Peter Laird signature anymore now as he retired from signing books and toys at Mirage Studios in 2019. This was the only way I could get both of these men to sign this book for me.

The problem with special circumstances is that everything becomes a special circumstance. The green label started out for this exact thing, and look what it has become. This may seem harsh, but I say the book should be graded as having writing on the cover.

The problem then, is that collectors would actually have to stop and examine the book. It would also cause problem with the high grade collectors. Personally, I say tough luck to those people. Fortunately for them, my opinion means zilch to CGC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Quote:
@kaptainmyke But you asked for the blue label.

Oh I agree I'm not arguing with your topic. I was just sharing the other side of the argument that often people request a special circumstance to override a green label to compare the grade hit. I estimate the book is probably a 4.0 but got hit an entire point for the writing on cover that I witnessed him sign personally. This book is especially sentimental for me as it's the first time I ever met Stan Lee.

That's very cool! I never had the chance to meet him. I'm just wondering, was the comic CGC graded a 4.0 before he signed it? It just seems to me that anything 6.0 or lower really wouldn't be that much effected by writing on the cover. I may be way off on that, but that's what is stuck in my head.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
That's very cool! I never had the chance to meet him. I'm just wondering, was the comic CGC graded a 4.0 before he signed it? It just seems to me that anything 6.0 or lower really wouldn't be that much effected by writing on the cover. I may be way off on that, but that's what is stuck in my head.

eh that's complicated but you are right in low grade writing doesn't matter too terribly much on the grade I would imagine
Post 22 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
The only labels I purchase are Universal and Red...I would consider Yellow if I was into sigs....but Green and Purple are out. So I will take a low grade Universal over a Green every time.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Ok.... my next question, wtf are purple labels? I’m aware of them but what it’s for I dunno.
Post 24 IP   flag post
@HeinzDad Restored books....CGC colors those labels Purple, CBCS keeps them Blue but stated Restored.
Post 25 IP   flag post
It seems my opinion on this does bother some people. Since this person left this comment on my blog page, I can only assume it came from someone who is blocked from the forum. I painted over the name and I didn't approve the comment, so it is not visible on my blog if you go there.

However, I want to make clear a couple things. First off, I am not an employee of CBCS. Therefore, Steve Borock is not my boss. Secondly, Steve Borock is my friend. And believe it or not, we don't agree on everything yet we still manage to get along because we are both adults. And finally, I don't know Steve's opinion on the green label, but I've often heard him say, "The grade is the grade." You can interpret that however you please.

Post 26 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
As a general rule, I tend to avoid green and purple label CGC slabs. I avoid restored books from CBCS as well. Signed books are one thing, but books with pages missing that are magically 9.2 are glorified toilet paper. Tell your blog commenter to hit me up. I'd love to get educated.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
It seems my opinion on this does bother some people. Since this person left this comment on my blog page, I can only assume it came from someone who is blocked from the forum. I painted over the name and I didn't approve the comment, so it is not visible on my blog if you go there.

However, I want to make clear a couple things. First off, I am not an employee of CBCS. Therefore, Steve Borock is not my boss. Secondly, Steve Borock is my friend. And believe it or not, we don't agree on everything yet we still manage to get along because we are both adults. And finally, I don't know Steve's opinion on the green label, but I've often heard him say, "The grade is the grade." You can interpret that however you please.

Nonononoyes
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:

I'd file that comment exactly where it belongs, in the Trash.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
Had to stop reading...the ONLY acceptable Green Label is for a non-witnessed Signature that could have been yellow label. I would buy and send to CBCS for the red label of about the same grade.
Post 30 IP   flag post
598060 57 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?