Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

What are you listening to? 2.011211

It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@CatmanAmerica Had to look up the tragedy...just awful! Badfinger

Another tragic band...Lynyrd Skynyrd
Post 501 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@CatmanAmerica Had to look up the tragedy...just awful! Badfinger

Another tragic band...Lynyrd Skynyrd

The loss of their leader, mentor and driving force Ronnie Van Zant along with energetic newcomers Steve and Cassie Gaines put the brakes on the group’s career. After that, the surviving members had little creatively left ...much less the Alpha leadership... to inspire new music or hold them together beyond tribute tours.

The sadist aspect of Lynyrd Skynyrd from a listening perspective is their image was so overtly antebellum south that it makes me cringe today. Unquestionably they produced awesome music (who doesn’t love Free-bird?), but some of their tunes were so reverential of the old south that I have difficulty listening to them anymore (Sweet Home Alabama, being a prime example).

I have a similar adverse reaction to Black Oak Arkansas, another quintessential southern rock band of the era that symbolically embraced the confederacy (although BOA only had a couple of novelty tunes that could loosely be described as hits). Their one saving grace is that they were so over-the-top redneck (especially Jim “Dandy” Mangrum) that they come across as a caricature of the culture ...or rather the lack thereof.

Curiously, not all southern rock was cut from stars and bars cloth. The Allman Brothers Band was one of the first true southern rock bands, ...and a lot more hippy than Mississippi. Not only was the ABB integrated, but broke ground as one of the first southern jam bands.

38 Special is another interesting group with regional and family ties to Lynyrd Skynyrd. They started out as a fairly straight forward Southern rock band in the footsteps of Skynyrd, but evolved into a very urban pop group in the 80’s with a bunch of MTV friendly hit singles.
Post 502 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Anti Theft Device.... Brought to you by Mix Master Mike.
Post 503 IP   flag post
After mentioning 38 Special this old classic kept bouncing around my head...

Carlisi's "fretter" perfect soloing on his custom Gibson Explorer couldn't be tighter.
Post 504 IP   flag post
This new wave group, believe it or not, had a big influence on Jeff Carlisi and Don Barnes in 38 Special's development as a hit producing pop group...

Post 505 IP   flag post

Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Post 506 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Post 507 IP   flag post
Post 508 IP   flag post
Post 509 IP   flag post
Junior Wells performing Messin' With the Kid in '74 (his 1960 lyrics) with Buddy Guy...

If this sounds vaguely familiar, the tune was borrowed and recorded by John Kay and The Sparrow (Steppenwolf) with different lyrics in '66 as Tighten Up Your Wig.
Post 510 IP   flag post
Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user

Post 511 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Good stuff

Shane Blay
Nick Hipa
Josh Gilbert
Jordan Mancino

Post 512 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Post 513 IP   flag post
Alan Price (original keyboard player in The Animals)...

Post 514 IP   flag post
Post 515 IP   flag post
Post 516 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Look at the shoes you're filling
Look at the blood we're spilling
Look at the world we're killing
The way we've always done before
Look in the doubt we've wallowed
Look at the leaders we've followed
Look at the lies we've swallowed
And I don't want to hear no more

My hands are tied
For all I've seen has changed my mind
But still the wars go on as the years go by
With no love of God or human rights
'Cause all these dreams are swept aside
By bloody hands of the hypnotized
Who carry the cross of homicide
And history bears the scars of our civil wars

Post 517 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Spent over 3 hours this morning cleaning up leaves and branches that covered my yard from yesterday's storm - with this pop song from the 1960's stuck in my head.

Post 518 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Post 519 IP   flag post
Awesome variety of music!

Here's another clip of Chicago blues harp legend Jr. Wells performing a Ray Charles tune at the American Folk Blues Festival. This dates back to around '66. His style and delivery are reminiscent of classic James Brown...

Post 520 IP   flag post
Collector drbreaux private msg quote post Address this user
I've been really digging on Tomar and the FCs out of Austin recently:

Post 521 IP   flag post
Collector comixcited private msg quote post Address this user
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA0dExRdsaQ
Post 522 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Post 523 IP   flag post
Sister Rosetta Tharpe (Note: I'm not usually a fan of gospel, but any live performing musician who can play electric guitar enthusiastically with her guitar cord in a puddle of water, has real faith)...

Post 524 IP   flag post
Amazing footage of the creation of a classic song with the actual subject (Bernie Taupin's first wife, Maxine) in the room hearing it being developed...

Post 525 IP   flag post
While looking for some early Traffic this rare performance footage with Steve Winwood and Dave Mason popped up from 1971. Traffic reformed after Winwood's departure from Blind Faith, but Mason left after a short tour to continue his blossoming solo career. Here they're performing Gimme Some Lovin' which was a hit for the first group Winwood was in with Spencer Davis...

Crazy times!
Post 526 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Yesterday I purchased a new 5.1 theater system. Nothing going on this morning so I'm kicked back and chillin'

Post 527 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Post 528 IP   flag post
Killer performance, back when this guy actually cared about music and had the superb vocals & second guitar riffing of Derek St. Holmes in his band...

Post 529 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Post 530 IP   flag post
601338 1000 30