Pastoral scene of the gallant South
The bulging eyes and the twisted mouth
Scent of magnolia sweet and fresh
Then the sudden smell of burning flesh.

Here is a fruit for the crow to pluck
For the rain to wither, for the wind to suck
For the sun to rot, for the trees to drop
Here is a strange and bitter crop.

– Originally published as a poem in 1937 by Abel Meerpool, aka Lewis Allen, a Jewish schoolteacher from the Bronx, depicts Southern trees bearing “strange fruit.”

I love her voice and music. CC
Post 476 IP   flag post
Collector ComicConnoisseur private msg quote post Address this user
Totally love this song.
Post 477 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Post 478 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Flashback to 1969.

Post 479 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user

Started my workday off with a three mile walk. Listened to the first Demons & Wizards album. It's really good. If it sounds like a cross between Iced Earth and Blind Guardian, it's because it literally is.
Post 480 IP   flag post

Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user
Blast from the past. Lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gtffv9bpB-U
Post 481 IP   flag post
Collector RexMuff private msg quote post Address this user
@Frontier2Xterra, that led me here, thanks for the trip sir🍻
Post 482 IP   flag post
Just heard this on the radio, 93.3 WMMR in Philly, for the first time, ever. Pretty badass, RIP Mr. Daniels
Post 483 IP   flag post
“Maxwells Silver Hammer” deserves a decent cover. Godsmack, Five Finger, or Perfect Circle could pull it off
Post 484 IP   flag post
Collector ComicConnoisseur private msg quote post Address this user

Love this music.
CC
Post 485 IP   flag post
Post 486 IP   flag post

If you're blocked from watching the first video (except by clicking on YouTube), then feel free to check this out first...

Post 487 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
The Eurovision Song Contest movie on Netflix is Only okay, but I loved some of the songs

Post 488 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@CatmanAmerica - How have I not heard of Fanny before? In 1972 I would listen to my transistor pocket radio with my monophonic earpiece everyday! It is a crying shame that they are not as well known as the girl bands that came after them. They are great musicians, song writers, and performers. Thank you for bringing them to my attention!
Post 489 IP   flag post
Collector monjoody private msg quote post Address this user
The last ones that have gone through my playlist...

Cro-Mags - In The Beginning (pre-release)
Black Friars Social Club - self-titled
Sarah Longfield - Dusk
ORAX - Film
Michael Manring - Small Moments
Doyle - Abominator
Nathaniel Rateliff - And It's Still Alright
Post 490 IP   flag post
Collector Puckster private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
The Eurovision Song Contest movie on Netflix is Only okay, but I loved some of the songs

I was scrolling too fast and thought that was GWAR for a second.
Post 491 IP   flag post
Just in that kind of mood tonight.

Post 492 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Jello!!!!

Post 493 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
more Jello!!

Post 494 IP   flag post
still room for more Jello.

Post 495 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Post 496 IP   flag post
Post 497 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Back in the mid 1980's, Slave Raider was a regular at a dive bar a few towns away from where I lived. As soon as I got my license and car at 16, I was there every time they played. After a while the bouncer at the door got to know me and would stamp my hand so that I could buy beer if I wanted to. It was a "setup" bar, all they served was beer and pop ("setup" came from serving pop meant to mixed with hard liquor). If you wanted anything harder, you brought it with you. Had a ton of fun at that bar!! Anyways, you might remember them from MTV. They had this one and I think one other video that got a fair amount of air time in the late 80's.

Post 498 IP   flag post
Love Tom Lehrer's songs. His tunes are as funny and timeless as they are brilliant...

Post 499 IP   flag post
A toast to the memory of one of the most tragic bands in the history of rock...

Post 500 IP   flag post
@CatmanAmerica Had to look up the tragedy...just awful! Badfinger

Another tragic band...Lynyrd Skynyrd
Post 501 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@CatmanAmerica Had to look up the tragedy...just awful! Badfinger

Another tragic band...Lynyrd Skynyrd

The loss of their leader, mentor and driving force Ronnie Van Zant along with energetic newcomers Steve and Cassie Gaines put the brakes on the group’s career. After that, the surviving members had little creatively left ...much less the Alpha leadership... to inspire new music or hold them together beyond tribute tours.

The sadist aspect of Lynyrd Skynyrd from a listening perspective is their image was so overtly antebellum south that it makes me cringe today. Unquestionably they produced awesome music (who doesn’t love Free-bird?), but some of their tunes were so reverential of the old south that I have difficulty listening to them anymore (Sweet Home Alabama, being a prime example).

I have a similar adverse reaction to Black Oak Arkansas, another quintessential southern rock band of the era that symbolically embraced the confederacy (although BOA only had a couple of novelty tunes that could loosely be described as hits). Their one saving grace is that they were so over-the-top redneck (especially Jim “Dandy” Mangrum) that they come across as a caricature of the culture ...or rather the lack thereof.

Curiously, not all southern rock was cut from stars and bars cloth. The Allman Brothers Band was one of the first true southern rock bands, ...and a lot more hippy than Mississippi. Not only was the ABB integrated, but broke ground as one of the first southern jam bands.

38 Special is another interesting group with regional and family ties to Lynyrd Skynyrd. They started out as a fairly straight forward Southern rock band in the footsteps of Skynyrd, but evolved into a very urban pop group in the 80’s with a bunch of MTV friendly hit singles.
Post 502 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Anti Theft Device.... Brought to you by Mix Master Mike.
Post 503 IP   flag post
After mentioning 38 Special this old classic kept bouncing around my head...

Carlisi's "fretter" perfect soloing on his custom Gibson Explorer couldn't be tighter.
Post 504 IP   flag post
This new wave group, believe it or not, had a big influence on Jeff Carlisi and Don Barnes in 38 Special's development as a hit producing pop group...

Post 505 IP   flag post
601464 1000 30