Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
So, I occasionally look at the auctions over at Heritage Auctions, and I saw Atari Force #1-4 and #8 in a lot. I had just been talking about that comic with a friend of mine a week before, and was curious, so I bid a dollar. My intention was to look at it later, when I had time, and I 'bid' to sort of bookmark the auction.

Well, I forgot all about it until ... yep. I won. For $1.

Since it's Heritage, the buyer's premium brought the total up to $20. Okay, alright, it's my own fault for not paying close attention. And $20 isn't terrible for five comics. I've certainly wasted more for less in the past.

But here's the other thing I missed. It wasn't ONE copy of each issue, but MULTIPLE copies of #1-4 ... 54 comics total. Heh. What the hell am I going to do with a dozen copies each of Atari Force #1-4?

So, if anyone wants a set, just pm me. I'll send 'em to you if you just cover shipping. No guarantee on grade, but Heritage said the average was NM-, so they aren't bad.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
@Tedsaid I'll gladly take a set off your hands! I loved the Atari growing up.
I'll send the shipping money through PayPal.
BTW, after you get your best mint copies, I'd like the next best set!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanaSoth
@Tedsaid I'll gladly take a set off your hands! I loved the Atari growing up.
I'll send the shipping money through PayPal.
BTW, after you get your best mint copies, I'd like the next best set!

Sure! I'll go pick out a couple sets now, as I think I have another taker via pm.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Just FYI, I've only got 6 copies of #2, but 21 copies of #3. So #2 gives a hard limit on the total number of 1-4 sets.

But on the upside, I don't think any of them are less than 9.2. And a lot are 9.6/9.8 candidates, especially with a press.

I wonder how closely related this series is to the "mini" Atari Force comics from a couple years prior? I remember liking those, though I don't think I had all of them. (There were five mini comics that were promotional giveaways with certain Atari games.) It certainly looks different ... the original, they were all human, but this group has a few aliens with them.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Pmed
Post 5 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Just FYI, I've only got 6 copies of #2, but 21 copies of #3. So #2 gives a hard limit on the total number of 1-4 sets.

#2 is scarce in high grade.

I just made that up.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Quote:

#2 is scarce in high grade.

I just made that up.

Hahaha ... dude, you totally got me on that one. I was like, WOW ... that's some esoteric comic book knowledge right there.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Tedsaid - I used to have a mini or two, but no more.

Post 8 IP   flag post
@esaravo I had that issue! And a few others.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Interesting auction to win for a dollar, how did Heritage calculate shipping on a lot of 54 books.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer
Interesting auction to win for a dollar, how did Heritage calculate shipping on a lot of 54 books.

Average weight of comic books = 2.7 ounces

2.7 X 54 / the relative mass of Vibranium = > Deadpools love for tacos - the rate of professor Xaviers hair loss / the square root of the weight of what is stuck Beasts teeth
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector PixelPanda144 private msg quote post Address this user
PM sent
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer

Well, I'm not sure. I won another lot with three silver age comics, and all together the shipping was $26.27.

On the plus side, they ship VERY well.

I guess all-in I ended up paying $0.80 or $0.90 per comic for the Atari Force. No wonder no one else bid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
Average weight of comic books = 2.7 ounces

2.7 X 54 / the relative mass of Vibranium = > Deadpools love for tacos - the rate of professor Xaviers hair loss / the square root of the weight of what is stuck Beasts teeth

Hahaha. Mmmm ... tacos.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Okay! Well, that was a lot of fun. I've packed up four sets for the post office tomorrow, and thanks to four fellow board members, my Atari Force over-abundance problem has been nearly halved!

Also, I have a LOT of random comics that are extras just sitting around. These are ones I bought to eventually sell, but - for one reason or another - I won't be selling for years and years. So I just grabbed a few and put some surprises in each box. I figured, since I'm already mailing something, I might as well, right? Also, it was fun! Like Christmas all over again.

For Gana and one other I had a pretty good idea what they like (horror; and high-grade bronze/copper), so I picked accordingly. For HulkSmash, I went with, well, Hulk, and a wild guess; and for Pixel I had NO idea. So I just picked some very random cover art or stories I like.

Most of the Atari are very high-grade. A few will need a press ... when I had to pick a slightly dinged-up one, I tried to pick one with pressable defects. Also, I threw in some extra readers, because - and I think we covered this - I have too many of this comic. The readers are the ones on the outside of the pile, in regular plastic and not mylites.

But besides those readers, I think the average of all of them - after pressing - will be 9.6. In case any of you people are into having comics graded? That's a thing, right?

Now, let's just hope I don't get the generic-looking brown boxes mixed up!

Post 14 IP   flag post
@Tedsaid wow! Thanks! That's way awesome of you to do for us fellow forum guys! I can't wait to get it! Just shoot me a PM I'll send you payment. Thanks for doing this for all of us here in the forums. For sharing.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
This is funny. I once bid on a binder with Nolan Ryan cards (couple years back). bid like...$30.00? just in case it went cheap. I won. What I thought was about 60 Nolan Ryans dating to the late 60s Topps was actually 252 Nolan Ryans. You couldn't flip through it, but they flipped through to show you the cards. There were cards shoved behind other cards. I think I ended up with something like 27 Donruss 1987 Nolan Ryans, Dozens of 80s Topps duplicates 3-4 of most of his 1970s cards and 7...I think it was 1969 all star? Cards. I pulled out the nicest one of each and shipped most of the rest to my nephew (For those who don't follow baseball cards the bottom dropped out of that collectors market relatively recently).
Post 16 IP   flag post
@Tedsaid Thank you so much for doing this! Super cool and pm me when your ready for $.
BTW what is grading? đŸ€Ș
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Johnnylray private msg quote post Address this user
Great score! I'd like to buy a set! Thanks!>Pm.sending now. Ray
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnylray
Great score! I'd like to buy a set! Thanks!>Pm.sending now. Ray

Sure thing, Ray! But this is the last one, since I only had six copies of #2. Happy to send them though ... will pack them up tonight.

If anyone else wants #1, #3, and #4, that is fine, but no more #2.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Johnnylray private msg quote post Address this user
@Tedsaid Thank you! Please let me know costs so I can PPal you! Thanks so much!
Ray
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Cool pickup, Ted! I was into Atari Force back in the day. I seem to remember my much younger self getting a letter printed in the letters page of one of the later issues. I still have a full set and I can tell you guys that after reading the first four issues you will definitely be wanting to get the rest! Very cool story! Thanks for bringing back a lot of great memories for me!
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I loved Atari. I would spend hours playing it. I also loved the Activision cartridges for it too like Grand Prix and Pitfall. Those were the days.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector PixelPanda144 private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks!

PM sent re: payment for shipping
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelekrupp
Cool pickup, Ted! I was into Atari Force back in the day. I seem to remember my much younger self getting a letter printed in the letters page of one of the later issues. I still have a full set and I can tell you guys that after reading the first four issues you will definitely be wanting to get the rest! Very cool story! Thanks for bringing back a lot of great memories for me!

Good to know! I haven't had a chance to read mine yet, but I LOVE José Luis García-López. (Who doesn't, amirite?)

I really liked the mini comics, too, but only had two of them ... the one Ed posted above, and #1 also, pic below. They are something like half the size of a regular comic. God only knows if I will be able to find mine. Maybe they're at my parents house in my old room somewhere.

Or maybe I'll start scrounging eBay for them! Ebay has everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
I loved Atari. I would spend hours playing it. I also loved the Activision cartridges for it too like Grand Prix and Pitfall. Those were the days.

Oh, hell yeah. Pitfall I played incessantly. And Megamania. And Adventure! The lead programmer on Adventure invented the Easter egg.

Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Most of the Atari are very high-grade. A few will need a press ... when I had to pick a slightly dinged-up one, I tried to pick one with pressable defects.

It was awfully nice for you to put in a nights work picking and packing these books for no monetary gain.
Since 54 books netted the seller $1, that's approximately 2 cents per book. I'm chuckling at the thought of a presser receiving the 2 cent book with the $12-$15 pressing fee. The question mark look on his face would be priceless.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Since 54 books netted the seller $1, that's approximately 2 cents per book. I'm chuckling at the thought of a presser receiving the 2 cent book with the $12-$15 pressing fee. The question mark look on his face would be priceless.

Oh, wow ... I completely forgot! HA gets everything but the one dollar! Man ... that's $0.80 - $0.90 per comic cost to me, but only $0.02 of that goes to the seller. Not a lot of upside there.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Theo. Thanks so much for the extra cool comics! I was actually going to purchase a ”Basket full of Heads #1."
I greatly appreciate what ya did for us. Thanks again.
Post 27 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I have a mini #2 myself as well

Post 28 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I'm chuckling at the thought of a presser receiving the 2 cent book with the $12-$15 pressing fee. The question mark look on his face would be priceless.

You wouldn't believe how common this is...
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Quote:
I'm chuckling at the thought of a presser receiving the 2 cent book with the $12-$15 pressing fee. The question mark look on his face would be priceless.

You wouldn't believe how common this is...

I have noticed on the forum that we typically refer to pressing very casually, as if the cost is irrelevant. It costs more than the CBCS Raw Grade service and almost as much as modern slabbing.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601524 34 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?