Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden AgeQuestions

do some people prefer low-grade GA books because they have a vintage look?11191

Collector Beney117 private msg quote post Address this user
Strangely, old comics (especially golden age) in good condition seem less authentic or historical to me. I have the impression that a low-grade comic looks older, and has a more vintage look. Do other collectors buy low-grade comics for these reasons?
Post 1 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
It's usually a matter of price.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
I think a low grade GA comic that is complete with cover fully intact (no tape) is desirable. I wouldn't say I prefer them over a higher grade, but like DrWatson said "It's usually a matter of price".
Post 3 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Nope
Post 4 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beney117
Strangely, old comics (especially golden age) in good condition seem less authentic or historical to me. I have the impression that a low-grade comic looks older, and has a more vintage look. Do other collectors buy low-grade comics for these reasons?

The short answer regarding preference is no.
The longer answer is that many books have made it through the years in rough shape. A very small fraction of that number have survived the years in great shape. That makes those books exponentially more rare and often exponentially more desirable/valuable to collectors.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
It’s definitely the affordability factor. I think collectors will always want the nicest copy they can afford. Scarcity can also play a role. If that is the only copy you are likely to find, condition becomes less of a factor.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector cougartrace private msg quote post Address this user
I love low grade copies and I can afford what I want. It shows history.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Pretty broad question. Yes, I would assume "Some people" would prefer something a little beat-up as it might speak to the item's history.

I'm speculate, though, that is not the majority of collectors.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
If there is a particular book that I want because of it’s cover or a story, I try to find the best-looking copy that I can afford at that time.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
IN golden age books specifically I tend to get a copy that comes my way if I can afford it and it is above a certain level of damage...if its too bad I wont bother.

With silver age books I buy multiples of same book, F- is about my floor to begin, as I start upgrading...I dont do detached covers, missing pages, or trimming, or lots of tape
Post 10 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
No.

However, with precode EC Comics it does not matter if you ask me
Post 11 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Have always hated what a little moisture can do to the
appearance of an otherwise good book.

OO

mm
Post 12 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

I know what you mean, Marty.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beney117

Had to read your post several times before understanding the context of what you meant about old comics and condition. Also, I may be taking the word “good” too literally. From a grading perspective 2.5 is classified “good” by third party grading standards (2.0 using the scale provided in the Overstreet Price Guide), but on a 10 point scale that IS a lower grade.

IMO, all books look best when newsstand fresh, but collector preferences are entirely subjective. The art, page count, story content and size is what defines a book's vintage, not the graded condition. The wear only determines how much handling a book has experienced.

My GA collection is predominantly high grade because I've always preferred high grade books, the vintage never entered into it, but I love all comics regardless of condition.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
If I’m going to read it, low grade is my preference. I feel I’m taking less of a risk in handling the book. I typically prefer Trades and reprints for reading purposes, though.

When it comes to collecting, however, condition is king. I’m always looking for the highest grade I can afford. I lean towards Silver Age books because I can afford more presentable grades in that era.

Golden Age books are particularly tough to find in high grade and hunting key Golden Age books often requires deeper pockets than I possess.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
In some cases low grade is the only option available on ultra rare books...so yeah I buy beaters some times but not because they look more vintage.
Post 16 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I can't imagine most people prefer low grade GA books but sometimes that's the only option due to affordability or availability. If those two options were removed then I'd assume higher grade books would be the choice 99 out of 100 times.
Post 17 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
I guess I am just an old school comic collector. I started collecting when I was a kid waaaay before grading was even a thing. So I am not grade obsessed and am happy to just have a comic in my collection. I have quite a few that are not in great condition but I still have them and that is cool for me. If I get a chance to pick up a better condition book that is awesome as well but if not no big deal.
Post 18 IP   flag post
597868 18 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?