Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature ASPCBCS Signature VSPMemorabiliaSignaturesSigning Opportunities

Label Idea!11173

Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@Sborock - Just saw what I thought was a great idea by a Shawn Englehart in the Facebook CBCS Collectors group. That being an incorporation of a photo of page autograph on the label of a CBCS VSP & ASP comic. I would immediately send you back my Marvel Fanfare #1 that @SteveRicketts saved and your office VSP'd. It sounds like Shawn has a large amount of comics he would send you also as others no doubt would.

Personally, I don't particularly like my comics having a signature on the cover, and would only have page signatures if I were to start collecting personal autographs, which is why I don't. This would change if CBCS had this type of service.

Just saying, though you guys have probably already entertained the idea.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector BrashSmurf private msg quote post Address this user
Placed on the back of label would be nice
Post 2 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
This SOUNDS like a great idea.

Let's look at what that would entail.

To start with, it would have to be an extra charge. This would be an add-on service just like the image option that is already available.

Scanning would mean laying the comic flat, while it is open to the correct interior page. This would not be advisable for many older comics. So, photography is the best option.

With photography you would have to have a setup that would hold the page propped open enough to see the signature without the possibility of damaging the comic. Then, you would have to get correct lighting involved because the open pges will cast a shadow.

Once all that is set up, the labels would probably have to be reformatted to have a spot available specifically for signatures. Since signatures will be of different heights and lengths, some signatures would have to have parts chopped off or shrunk to such a minuscule size as to be unreadable.

Now, let's say that all works out and everything gets set up correctly. Now an Avengers #4 comes in with a Kiby signature on the first splash page. If the book is brittle or maybe just worn, there could exist the possibility of damaging it further by propping it open. This, of course, would be on CBCS, to make right. Granted, that is what insurance is for, but we all know that the insurance company will just turn around and charge CBCS more when they renew. Then CBCS would have to raise prices all across the board.

And those small or cut off signatures, that's just setting yourself up for customer complaints.

All in all, I think the idea is great and I hope they can someday do it, but if they never do, I can see why. And actually, I believe CBCS offers a slideshow of every page of your book for $300. If you are really wanting the signature on file to look at, that is an option.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O understood and agreed on all, but the $300 for an every page slide show which wouldn’t accomplish the idea. That said, if an every page slide show is available, me thinks a single page would also be available, then it comes down to the feasibility of a front or back label photo placement and the cost.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Why not just include an image of the signed page with the free grader's notes? If you image your cover, you can see it when you go to the notes, so this would be very similar. Charge an extra $3 to $5 for this service and it's a no-brainer.

PS - These and many other ideas about signatures were posted on the forums several years ago. Some of the concerns back then about putting a picture of signatures on the back of the label were that it wouldn't work with multiple signatures that are spread out over the cover.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@Scifinator good points and I agree. I think a single page photo of the signature in the grader's notes is probably the most realistic option. However, I doubt that would satisfy what the people want.

I can't help but think that Borock has already given this idea some consideration. I think the slideshow option was designed so that there is an option out there if someone is willing to pay for it. It's an intriguing topic to discuss.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Cool_Fool private msg quote post Address this user
How about after you get the comic graded and slabbed, you have the creator sign the slab!?! Then bag it for your own personal collection. Or send it in to have the slab, slabbed with its own label? Keeps the book in the same graded condition and the slab is now truly part of the collection.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool_Fool
How about after you get the comic graded and slabbed, you have the creator sign the slab!?! Then bag it for your own personal collection. Or send it in to have the slab, slabbed with its own label? Keeps the book in the same graded condition and the slab is now truly part of the collection.

I've actually seen people doing this at conventions. Not bad for a free sig but for a pricey one??? better hope the slab never gets damaged!
Post 8 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:

I've actually seen people doing this at conventions. Not bad for a free sig but for a pricey one??? better hope the slab never gets damaged!

You mean like this?

clickable text

Post 9 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
I know pgx puts the image of the signature on the back of the label. Let me know if this will get flagged, the book is at cbcs now, both signatures did get verified.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:

You mean like this?

clickable text

Better on the slab than on that gorgeous copy of an FF1. Perhaps we could push for slabs to be slabbed.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman66
I know pgx puts the image of the signature on the back of the label. Let me know if this will get flagged, the book is at cbcs now, both signatures did get verified.

A good idea is a good idea. Doesn't matter who first did it.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@Scifinator I'm wondering if signature collectors would find a simpler but less individualized solution to be acceptable:
What if CBCS kept on file a single generic image of the most common signatures and added that generic image to the label whenever they authenticated an internal signature? So it wouldn't be the specific signature inside the book, but at least it would be the artists actual signature externally, on the label of the slab.

Not sure about the legalities or if they would need permission from the artist or artists estate, but it would certainly cut down on the logistical difficulties.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Cool_Fool private msg quote post Address this user
Alright, a thread where i can share an idea I've had (so sorry meant to send this in to the Prez) here is another option - for issues that are signed on the inside or wrap-around covers, how about a double size slab? For issues signed on inside then one side of slab shows cover front and back and other side of slab shows inside front cover and first page with that so important signature.

For wrap around covers or blank covers that you got some kik azz artwork on from a creator, have one side of slab showing full front and back cover and other side showing the center of issue.

Sure, you could say it is not how the issue lays flat anymore, but at one time those pages were flat, got printed on and then folded and stapled. Thoughts? Would you double slab your issues if option was available? -J ^_~ HavaTaco
Post 14 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
The simplest, which I am doing is to take a picture of the page signed, print it and put it in the slab bag. You could put the picture in a bag and board inside the slab bag so it can be removed and protects the picture. This way you can look at the signature and if you sell the book, the buyer can see it as well. Problem solved
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Alright, a thread where i can share an idea I've had (so sorry meant to send this in to the Prez) here is another option - for issues that are signed on the inside or wrap-around covers, how about a double size slab? For issues signed on inside then one side of slab shows cover front and back and other side of slab shows inside front cover and first page with that so important signature.

For wrap around covers or blank covers that you got some kik azz artwork on from a creator, have one side of slab showing full front and back cover and other side showing the center of issue.

Sure, you could say it is not how the issue lays flat anymore, but at one time those pages were flat, got printed on and then folded and stapled. Thoughts? Would you double slab your issues if option was available? -J ^_~ HavaTaco
This won't happen. Slabbing a book open like that could potentially cause damage. It would be cool to see for OA books with wraparound covers but for anything being graded it's definitely a no go.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 17 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBildhauser
Quote:

This won't happen. Slabbing a book open like that could potentially cause damage. It would be cool to see for OA books with wraparound covers but for anything being graded it's definitely a no go.

Yep!
Post 18 IP   flag post
601463 18 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?