Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

CBCS: Comics You Just Got Back11148

Collector oakcitycomics private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC Thanks man. The Hawk and Bats presents nicely. Spin splits will kill a grade but don't usually effect the appearance of the book.
Post 576 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Just picked these up today. All but one are books belonging to an older guy I know who isn't comfortable dealing with things like "slabbing" and "online selling," so I do it for him. The unfortunate part of that is I just took his "these are all in near-perfect shape" statement at face value and didn't inspect the books myself before sending them in. He'd managed to put a massive crease in the back cover of one of them when he bagged it. See if you can figure out which one.

These will all be for sale, btw.

Post 577 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
The grader notes on that Detective 880 are painful. "light spine stress barely breaks color"

Granted I'm looking at it through the slab, but I don't see it (I'm sure it's there, but damn it must be tiny). Any other day that could have gotten a 9.8 and no one would have blinked.
Post 578 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user

OO

OO

OO

mm
Post 579 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymann

mm

Those are some AWESOME comics Marty!!! I noticed there is no "OO" on the bottom. Did you get these secondhand?
Post 580 IP   flag post

You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
@martymann That ABC #10 is great! Love that cover!
Post 581 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Quote:

mm

Those are some AWESOME comics Marty!!! I noticed there is no "OO" on the bottom. Did you get these secondhand?

I forgot to add OO...everything GA I post was purchased by me
new off the newsstand or new from W.T. GRANTS.
With these three, I just realized my total of Graded Comics is

Marty
Post 582 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user

so I got part of my last submission to cbcs. There are 9 more that are in grading now. The showcase I knew had restoration, was told color touch only and after I took it home could tell there was more work done. I knew it going in so really didn't care but the page missing was a oh crap moment. I got a hold of the store I bought it from and I'll be seeing him this week to see what we can work out, a full refund or a partial refund. He wasn't happy but neither was I. The other 2 books was in a set I bought from a dealer before the pandemic all three raw for 1300. The Grendel is the only 9.8 signature on either census
Post 583 IP   flag post
Collector Puckster private msg quote post Address this user
@Batman66 Sucks on that Showcase. Nice finds otherwise. I had that TTA 13 once upon a time. It was part of a big collection of Silvers that I had purchased. Ended up selling some of the lower valued ones to make some of my money back. At the time it was only about $10.
Post 584 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 585 IP   flag post

got these back today grades were pretty much what I was expecting/hoping for, the ff5 was shooting for a 2.0 but happy to have it. The ginger 1 is the only Canadian edition on cbcs and cgc census.
Post 586 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Batman66 your collection is insane!!!!! love it!!!
Post 587 IP   flag post
Collector Triplecdad private msg quote post Address this user

This was originally graded by Cbcs in 2018 as 5.5 before I knew the value of press and clean. After a good scrub and beating on a rock … voila!
Post 588 IP   flag post

OO

OO

OO

mm
Post 589 IP   flag post
Thank you for your votes...as I've said before, never did I
ever believe that some 70+ years after I picked these books off
the newsstand that I would be sending pictures of them through
the air to be viewed by collectors of comic books.

Marty
Post 590 IP   flag post
Collector Dalkiel private msg quote post Address this user
Hello All,
Got these back today.
Sent them in late Dec. 2020.
All were Pressed.
Thanks to both Steve B. and Steve R. for running such a great company.

I bouhgt all for cover price except for Fightin' 5 which I got on ebay for about $5.
Post 591 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
never did I
ever believe that some 70 years after I picked these books off
the air to be viewed by collectors of comic books

@martymann As someone who is passionate about historical perspective, it just sends my head spinning every time you say that. How different the world is today from when you were buying those books off the rack is almost impossible to wrap my head around. One could argue that the evolution from that day to today is equivalent to all the human progress of the thousands of years before it.
Post 592 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:
never did I
ever believe that some 70 years after I picked these books off
the air to be viewed by collectors of comic books

@martymann As someone who is passionate about historical perspective, it just sends my head spinning every time you say that. How different the world is today from when you were buying those books off the rack is almost impossible to wrap my head around. One could argue that the evolution from that day to today is equivalent to all the human progress of the thousands of years before it.

Thank God the changes were gradual.

Marty
Post 593 IP   flag post
Collector lawguy1977 private msg quote post Address this user
Just got these back. Pretty happy all in all. Would have loved a 9.8 on any of them, but hey, who wouldn't? They're all going up for sale, so if interested, feel free to shoot me a message.

Post 594 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@lawguy1977 - Very nice! But unfortunately for both of us, I do not need any of those books.
Post 595 IP   flag post
@esaravo LOL, no worries, and thanks!

FYI, I'm pretty sure I've said it before, but I really love the new cases. I've got some re-holders that just came back (on the same day, no less) that I'll post later with the new case and yellow labels, and I love them.
Post 596 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user

Received in 12/31/20. Back in my hand 8/14/21.

All were pressed except DV3, ASM55 and UltFF22. No fast passes.

Overall very happy as I though the Kansans and AF1 would not grade 9.8.

UFF22 i think picked up a few spine ticks between when they left my house and grading. Very obvious defects and I didn’t opt for a press because i was thinking it had a shot at 9.8.

Thundercats I had pressed (paid for it anyway) but it still has defects that should have pressed out, or look a lot better than they do. Many light bends still showing 🤷‍♂️.
Post 597 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
"Light Bends" is by far, by far; the most common defect that I receive on my high grade books that I have no idea what they're talking about.
It is my Achilles heal for sure.
Most disappointing is when I receive "light bends" on a professionally pressed book. It just aggravates me and honestly - I don't believe it. But what can ya do
Post 598 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Doorbell just rings. Mr. FEDEX man - thank you!
This is from the Dell'Otto exclusive CBCS signing announced late last year.
Not a common book to come across, but I absolutely love this cover by him.

Post 599 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Doorbell just rings. Mr. FEDEX man - thank you!
This is from the Dell'Otto exclusive CBCS signing announced late last year.
Not a common book to come across, but I absolutely love this cover by him.

I love that CBCS uses the actual title of the book instead of the American equivalent like CGC does now. To me, it is insulting the country it was published in to do that.
Post 600 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Just got these back.

The Strange Tales is my sons.

The Batman I got from Lawguy on these boards.

Post 601 IP   flag post
@Jabberwookie Awesome books and I love that Batman #163, but just an FYI, I'm not the one who sold it.
Post 602 IP   flag post
Also, here are the re-holders I got back with the new cases and updated yellow labels. Very glad I did the upgrade. I've posted the "before" and "after" of each, and sorry for the glare!

Post 603 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawguy1977
@Jabberwookie Awesome books and I love that Batman #163, but just an FYI, I'm not the one who sold it.

Well, shoot!

I need to research and remember where the Batman came from. It was somebody on the boards, but I sent them back in February so now I can’t remember who it was.

Beautiful books, by the way!
Post 604 IP   flag post
@Jabberwookie Thanks!
Post 605 IP   flag post
597936 999 30