Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze Age

Does cut of comic affect grade?11146

Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Apparently not. I bought this cheap from my brother, hot book but look at the cut. 9.6?
8.5 to me, just for the cut

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector KCBatmanFan private msg quote post Address this user
From a couple of other threads I found searching around, looks like CGC is very forgiving of mis-wraps.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
This guy works at CGC and says it looks perfectly centered to him.

Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS’ grading guidelines only mention centering at the 9.6 grade so a book worse than “generally well-centered” probably wouldn’t/shouldn’t get above a 9.4

As for CGC, their grading guidelines are bow so vague as to be useless so ¯_(ツ)_/¯
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
Mis-wraps keep it from being 9.9 or better depending on severity could take it further; mis CUTS do affect grade significantly because part of comic is actually missing.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
I hate miswraps as much as many collectors here, but the cut on this particular book isn't going to affect the grade till it hits the 9.9 - 10 range.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks, Pre Coder would not have thought that. Someday, way in the future I will sell “What If #10 Thor-ess”
I would expect it to go at a discount. Bothers me way more than my detached graded books.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
When they are slightly twisted like that, do you think it could be due to the book being poorly pressed?
Post 8 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
When they are slightly twisted like that, do you think it could be due to the book being poorly pressed?

In this particular case I would attribute it to manufacturing.
Post 9 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster

In this particular case I would attribute it to manufacturing.

100% manufacturing.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector classicaaron private msg quote post Address this user
I cant understand why manufacturing defects don't affect grade. the fact is theres much nicer looking copies of this book out there so theres no way it should be a 9.6. just because its from the factory doesn't mean its not a flaw and it should be detracted from grade. even if every copy has the same flaw, like a lot of the dc foil covers. why not just make the highest copy a 9.0 instead of saying well we need a 9.8 so we wont detract for manufacturing defects. its really makes zero sense. if its not basically flawless its not 9.8. collectors should just have commone sense enough to know hey a 9.0 in that book is as good as it gets and it would still demand a premium.

its like saying some PCH book that doesn't have a grade of over 7.0 gets bumped to a 9.8 just because its the best condition to exist. we think that logic is super flawed, but if its a brand new book from the manufacturer we throw that logic out? makes zero sense.

id much rather buy a 9.4 with an extra spine tick than this miswrap at a 9.6. its why grading is just absurd in a lot of cases. I grade only if restoration is a concern or to preserve a truly rare book. otherwise its a waste of money because books of this example exist and just make the grading companies completely unreliable.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
Manufacturing defects DO affect grade; just to a lesser degree than non-manufacturing. You’re mistaking your own prejudice against them versus a standardized deduction which is much less depending on degree of problem. Minor miswraps shouldn’t be strong deductions and the worse it is, the more deduction it is. The miswrap shown isn’t really all that bad. Same thing with Card offcuts. The worse the centering the more the grade is lowered, but that’s only one part of overall grade.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector classicaaron private msg quote post Address this user
I mean its pretty proven those dc foils have far more spine ticks than any other book in the same grade. why should a spine tick if I did it be any different than if dc did it directly? either way the book has the same damage. so to grade differently makes no sense. and isn't grade also about eye appeal. no one in their right mind would say the above book looks as good as a normal 9.6. so why grade it a 9.6. a 9.6 miswrap vs a 9.6 normal wrap should not be the same thing and therefore should not grade the same. and this isn't my preference. put both together at a show for the same price and see which sells first every single time.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
The problem is that argument assumes there were NO other factors that led to that grade, except mis-wrap vs non mis wrap.....the Mis wrap might have had cleaner cut pages, no ink smearing or a dozen other things the perfectly wrapped copy might suffer from...so where the one book takes a hit for other flaws, the mis wrap has only the one perhaps....to frame the argument properly would require two nearly identical copies, with no flaws, one mis wrapped the other not, both grading 9.6, but the problem is evident then...why would the correctly wrapped book score only 9.6....
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
This entire discussion is basically a tempest in a teapot however...since the mis wrap issue prevents the book from scoring above a 9.6 or should in many cases. People sit and whine and dig holes in the floor with their feet about mis wraps, when the book itself might not even score better than a 9.0 from go....just way too many other things to consider when evaluating a book.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah miswraps do t affect grade that much. It’s just that way. Not all grades look the same. Which is why the same grade can sell for diff prices or if one looks well centered with white pages can sell for quite a bit more
Post 16 IP   flag post
601196 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?