Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden AgeComics Silver Age

Received Free Vintage Comics & Immediate Sad Face11138

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I sold some Sports Cards today on letgo & the buyer saw on my profile I collected comics. He brought a stack of 1950 books hoping to do a trade + cash.

He handed me the stack of comics, and as I went through them, I heard the unmistakable sound of tearing. My heart sank. He said “oh, that one stuck to the bag”. Yep. Most of them were bagged (no boards). A couple were not bagged at all. And one unbagged book’s cover clung to the bag in front of it. Turns out, of course, that it was the single most valuable book in the lot!

Fortunately, his cash offer was what I actually wanted for the cards, so, the books were a free bonus. Still tragic, for sure.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
You guys and just "happening across" old comics.

I'm totally jealous. I never run into this.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie

It never happens to me either, but when it rains it pours.

Someone I just met a couple weeks ago said they have a “whole box of old comics” they said I could have. They said they got them from someone older than them & they were in their 50’s minimum.

I am not holding my breath since they said they had to get them from storage. And how often do people follow through on offers like that? Still, I’ve got my fingers crossed. I offered to sell some stuff for them on e-bay as trade. Hopefully that will sweeten the pot enough for it to happen.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
I would be interested in the Zane grey book if you decide to let them go....Zane grey wrote three novels using the same characters, Spirit of the Border, the Last Trail, and Betty Zane, called the Ohio River valley Trilogy. Betty Zane was his first novel, and the three books tell the story of Fort Henry, in Ohio, and his ancestors, the Zanes.
I read them over and over as a kid, and loved the Character Wetzel, the iconic indian hunter, the Indians nicknamed...la vent de la morte…..or Deathwynde
Post 4 IP   flag post
@Darkseid_of_town

PM incoming.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
Quote:

Someone I just met a couple weeks ago said they have a “whole box of old comics” they said I could have. They said they got them from someone older than them & they were in their 50’s minimum.

I am not holding my breath since they said they had to get them from storage. And how often do people follow through on offers like that? Still, I’ve got my fingers crossed. I offered to sell some stuff for them on e-bay as trade. Hopefully that will sweeten the pot enough for it to happen.

Good luck!

I need to start putting myself out there as comic guy or something...
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Good luck!

I need to start putting myself out there as comic guy or something...

Seriously, that makes all the difference. If you’re known as a “comics guy” in your circle of friends and family, you’ll be the first one they think of if they see comics for sale, or hear of anyone looking to unload some.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
I find it difficult to believe the Alan Ladd 7 was the most valuable; but it’s still heart-wrenching
Post 8 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
@00slim
"Seriously, that makes all the difference. If you’re known as a “comics guy” in your circle of friends and family, you’ll be the first one they think of if they see comics for sale, or hear of anyone looking to unload some."

True, that has been happening to me for many, many years.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Seriously, that makes all the difference. If you’re known as a “comics guy” in your circle of friends and family, you’ll be the first one they think of if they see comics for sale, or hear of anyone looking to unload some.

This is true, but it's not without its downside. You'll have to shuck a lot of oysters to find a pearl.

About six or seven years ago, our neighbors a couple doors down (wonderful couple in their 80s) were moving into a retirement home. They'd heard me mention comics a few times, so the husband asked me if I wanted to look through an old box of comics he'd had forever.

Since he was in his 80s, images of Golden Age goodness started dancing in my head. Turns out it was a box full of Classics Illustrated he'd bought for his kids. I knew exactly jack and crap about CI; my only firsthand experience with them was picking up a few copies new in the '80s (was it Eclipse that resurrected that title?). Nonetheless, I dug into the thing and educated myself on the Byzantine ways to determine which CI was which. Ultimately, there wasn't a single issue in the box worth more than a buck or two, given their condition. I think he ended up tossing them in the recycling.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCovers
You'll have to shuck a lot of oysters to find a pearl.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Put the word out there. I casually mention it to my college students and have good success. The best score was an entire plastic tub filled with comic books from 1951 to 1955. It was an awesome find. It had a few pre-code horror books, a few superhero books like Batman #90,Uncle Scrooge #1, lots of war,westerns,romance and misc. Books.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano0521
I find it difficult to believe the Alan Ladd 7 was the most valuable; but it’s still heart-wrenching

Only because none of the books are particularly key or in all that good of shape.
Post 13 IP   flag post
598062 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?