Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Restoration and Conservation

CBCS Grading of Restored Comics111

Collector jedijohnson private msg quote post Address this user
I’ve only been collecting comics for a little of a year, ever since I got bored collecting football cards, and a friend recommended collecting comics to scratch my collecting itch.

Once of my first purchases was a CBCS [restored] 9.0 Amazing Spiderman #129 with slight amateur coloring to the cover.
I’ve been curious though.

Was the comic marked down to a 9.0 because of the amateur restoration, and it would’ve graded higher with no restoration effort?
OR
Was the comic marked up to a 9.0 because of the amateur restoration, and it would’ve graded lower without the restoration effort?
OR
Was the restored annotation simply for informational purposes, and the comic's 9.0 grade was based purely on condition?

Thanks for your answers and opinions. I’m so glad that CBCS stood up this forum.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector thirdgreenham private msg quote post Address this user
Good question! I'm very interested to hear the answers from CBCS as well.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector BillsComics private msg quote post Address this user
I have always wondered. Say someone uses a marker to color in all of the wording of The title on a book. Lets say The Atom , because its a short title . If some kids uses crayon or marker or ink pen. Only coloring the Title of the book on the cover . Is that considered restoration ? I dont do much on sending books to get professionally graded, otherwise id probably already have a clue.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Marc_1 private msg quote post Address this user
I'd actually be thrilled if we could discuss the grading of the recent Showcase 4 in 9.8 and Hulk 1 in 9.8.

It would be great to get the perspective from Steve or others on all the back and forth about the speculated extensive amount of restoration and the high grade attained.

For me, i'll be honest and say it makes me skeptical to have a book restored to that amount...i'd rather have a lower grade book with minimal resto just to ensure the book doesn't deteriorate.

On the other hand, some people are okay with extensive restoration.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I don't really mind slight restoration. I have three that I picked up for a much lower cost on eBay. I'm sure because of the stigma that restored comics hold.
I'm not sure if I would buy a comic that had significant restoration. It would probably depend on the price and if I thought I would ever be able to afford a nice non-restored one.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Darryl_H private msg quote post Address this user
Usually restoration is done to improve and it helps the grade, and does not hurt it (unless it is a bad amateur restoration job)

The restoration is noted on the label so we know it was done and that the book was altered to achieve the higher grade.

Many collectors do not want restored books, due to the value hit they carry with them...
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst_Comics
Usually restoration is done to improve and it helps the grade, and does not hurt it (unless it is a bad amateur restoration job)

The restoration is noted on the label so we know it was done and that the book was altered to achieve the higher grade.

Many collectors do not want restored books, due to the value hit they carry with them...

Thanks, Catalyst_Comics. Good info
Post 7 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijohnson
I’ve only been collecting comics for a little of a year, ever since I got bored collecting football cards, and a friend recommended collecting comics to scratch my collecting itch.

Once of my first purchases was a CBCS [restored] 9.0 Amazing Spiderman #129 with slight amateur coloring to the cover.
I’ve been curious though.

Was the comic marked down to a 9.0 because of the amateur restoration, and it would’ve graded higher with no restoration effort?

Restored books are graded with their "apparent" grade. 9.0 is how the book looks, taking into account the flaws. The book would not have graded higher with no restoration. Unless the restoration itself is sooooo poorly done it makes additional flaws. Like say in gluing a tear the person managed to use to much glue and stuck several pages together.

Quote:
OR
Was the comic marked up to a 9.0 because of the amateur restoration, and it would’ve graded lower without the restoration effort?

That question is basically unanswerable. There is no way to know - now - exactly what the book looked like and would have graded before the amateur color touch. Generally speaking, the point of restoration (and in case of your book, color touch) is to improve the books appearance and condition. And thus it's grade.

Quote:
OR
Was the restored annotation simply for informational purposes, and the comic's 9.0 grade was based purely on condition?

This.

Quote:
Thanks for your answers and opinions. I’m so glad that CBCS stood up this forum.
Post 8 IP   flag post
President SteveBorock private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsComics
I have always wondered. Say someone uses a marker to color in all of the wording of The title on a book. Lets say The Atom , because its a short title . If some kids uses crayon or marker or ink pen. Only coloring the Title of the book on the cover . Is that considered restoration ? I dont do much on sending books to get professionally graded, otherwise id probably already have a clue.

In that exact case, it would most likely not be considered restoration, but would lower the grade.
Post 9 IP   flag post
President SteveBorock private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_1
I'd actually be thrilled if we could discuss the grading of the recent Showcase 4 in 9.8 and Hulk 1 in 9.8.

It would be great to get the perspective from Steve or others on all the back and forth about the speculated extensive amount of restoration and the high grade attained.

For me, i'll be honest and say it makes me skeptical to have a book restored to that amount...i'd rather have a lower grade book with minimal resto just to ensure the book doesn't deteriorate.

A restored comic must be given a grade on how it looks.

The important thing is that the label, and the free graders notes, in the case you are talking about, is that we list all the work done and that it states "extensive".

The market will decide what the value is. All a certification company can do is give you the exact work that was done to a comic and how it looks.

Every collector must decide for themselves what they will except and what they will pay for a certain restored or conserved comic.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector RebellionComics private msg quote post Address this user
Do you all as collectors look at conserved books the same as restoration (pieces/other things added) or would you separate the two terms as two different things
Post 11 IP   flag post
Moderator The_Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
To me they're the same. I'm more interested in HOW MUCH work was done, as opposed to whether the work is considered restored or conserved
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Iago19 private msg quote post Address this user
@RebellionComics I think determining amount of work is what most ppl look for. Resto and conservation can be blurred at times that's why grading and certification companies came along in the first place. To identify, assess and label a book. The rest is on the market.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Marc_1 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBorock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_1

A restored comic must be given a grade on how it looks.

The important thing is that the label, and the free graders notes, in the case you are talking about, is that we list all the work done and that it states "extensive".

The market will decide what the value is. All a certification company can do is give you the exact work that was done to a comic and how it looks.

Every collector must decide for themselves what they will except and what they will pay for a certain restored or conserved comic.

Thanks Steve. In cases where the amount of resto is so extensive, it's hard to even know what the book looked like before (was it a 1.0 made into a 9.8 or a 6.0 made into a 9.8?)....what are your thoughts on providing info to allow the person to know what it was before resto? If you would even know....
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector zosocane private msg quote post Address this user
So the slab tells the market what the restored book apparently grades at because of the plastic surgery the book received. But for the surgery, the book grades lower than the apparent grade (what that grade is, we don't know precisely). And then the label notes tell the market how minor, moderate or heavy the resto is. That's the key, I consider, in whether a restored book I'm thinking of purchasing is easy to sell or not if I ever decide to part with it. I rarely buy restored, but when I do, I want to see "slight" restoration on the label and I won't touch any book that has been trimmed. One more thing on restored books: I won't buy CGC PLODs because that purple label has such a negative market stigma ("PLOD" is telling) and, frankly, kills the eye appeal of the slab. Which is why I'm open-minded to CBCS restored slabs. Easy on the eyes.
Post 15 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebellionComics
Do you all as collectors look at conserved books the same as restoration (pieces/other things added) or would you separate the two terms as two different things

To me, their both the same. I can handle just about anything as long as the book has not been trimmed and doesn't have tape on it.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zosocane
I rarely buy restored, but when I do, I want to see "slight" restoration on the label

The more I think on it, I agree. Only slight restoration is acceptable to me.
Quote:
I won't touch any book that has been trimmed

I'm okay with the slab stating that trimming was done, as long as the trimming is not obvious. On the ones I own, I can't tell.

Quote:
I won't buy CGC PLODs because that purple label has such a negative market stigma ("PLOD" is telling) and, frankly, kills the eye appeal of the slab. Which is why I'm open-minded to CBCS restored slabs. Easy on the eyes.

Again, I agree. And if I did buy one, I'd send it in to CBCS for reslab.

Great segue to a related curiosity that I wanted to ask Steve [Borock]. Did CBCS consider color-coding their restored grading labels? Thanks!
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector zosocane private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Watcher
To me they're the same. I'm more interested in HOW MUCH work was done, as opposed to whether the work is considered restored or conserved

Agreed.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector KenWorthing private msg quote post Address this user
I'm soooo looking forward to sending in this one. Lovingly coloured in by some kid in Indonesia, God knows how long ago!

I've only ever seen a pic of another one .. no colouring, but .. chewed by rodents, methinks.

This is mine ..

I've thought (briefly) about getting the colour removed, but I'm more concerned with having the book documented now.
Post 19 IP   flag post
596785 19 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?