Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
For Sale

My First MCS Auction...Probably Gonna Take A Beating11078

Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
So I decided to test the auction waters with 3 books in this weeks MCS auction. Starting to regret it a bit. I'm thinking that people who have regular success in these auctions probably have a decent size group of buyers that they can reach out to for support in the auction. I'm going to put these links here, hopefully some of you will see a bargain that you want to take a shot at. If they go significantly below FMV, I hope they go to someone I interact with here on the forum:

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=50427429
Swamp Thing 37 CBCS 8.0 Current Bid $46. I think this is the tightest grade of the 3 books, thought it would grade better. Pretty sure it was pressed by the previous owner though, doubt it can be improved.

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=50427441
Daredevil 168 CGC 8.0 Current Bid $77. In December a CGC 7.5 went for $156 in MCS auction but in November a CGC 8.5 went for only $106. I'm really wishing I hadn't put this book into the auction, If it got close to $150 I would be relieved.

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=50427433
Marvel Spotlight #32 CBCS 7.5 Current Bid $38. Whatever, I'm not very attached to this book.

Good luck to anyone who bids.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@EbaySeller helped on 2 of the books. don‘t think the DD will go much higher as $100 is FMV these days for that book
Post 2 IP   flag post
@poka Thank you for the auction assist and thread bump! As brother @Arak would say "You are my ninja!"
Post 3 IP   flag post
Ending tomorrow night. Current Prices:

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=50427441
Daredevil 168 CGC 8.0 $92

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=50427433
Marvel Spotlight 32 CBCS 7.5 $57

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=50427429
Swamp Thing 37 CBCS 8.0 $77

Shameless post Superbowl bump. Expect one more tomorrow evening if I don't accidentally take a nap at the wrong time (like when I slept through the Prime Auction).
Post 4 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Drat, I’ve been looking for a swampy 25 and 37. I think my wife would kill me if opened another account to buy comics. Wrong place wrong time on this one I guess. I wish I could buy every book I see that I want.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Final Bump, first book ends in 5 minutes. I originally had hoped to reach $300 combined for the three books, but halfway through I lowered my expectations to $250. Looks like they went past the $250 mark at least, so I can call it a win. It pays to have lowered expectations.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Final Bump, first book ends in 5 minutes. I originally had hoped to reach $300 combined for the three books, but halfway through I lowered my expectations to $250. Looks like they went past the $250 mark at least, so I can call it a win. It pays to have lowered expectations.

Anyone else remember MadTV?

Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O

LOL, Exactly. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks of that skit when I hear "lowered expectations". I think I'm now at $289 total with 30 minutes left on Swamp Thing 37.

BTW, Since I was selling a Daredevil 168 CGC 8.0 tonight, I decided to watch an Ebay auction for a similar book that was ending today (not smart to end an auction on Monday afternoon). My book went for $135 on MCS auction. The other book, also with White Pages, went for $87 on Ebay auction. Huh?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

LOL, Exactly. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks of that skit when I hear "lowered expectations". I think I'm now at $289 total with 30 minutes left on Swamp Thing 37.

BTW, Since I was selling a Daredevil 168 CGC 8.0 tonight, I decided to watch an Ebay auction for a similar book that was ending today (not smart to end an auction on Monday afternoon). My book went for $135 on MCS auction. The other book, also with White Pages, went for $87 on Ebay auction. Huh?

the MCS buyer overpaid while the ebay buyer did ok

but congrats
Post 9 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:
Quote:

the MCS buyer overpaid while the ebay buyer did ok

but congrats

Yeah, I am still surprised by what I see going on, and I have NO idea what the buyers are up to. I've stopped trying to figure it out.

I was in the auction last night, too, with a bunch of books. (I didn't get around to making a post about them, though I should have.) Among them was a Batman #77 cover A 9.8, the death of Alfred issue. It ended up at $46.00. And, right after that auction ended, someone bought another copy from me in the fixed-price section for $109.99. AND, in the prime auction a few weeks ago, my graded 9.9 (!) copy of this issue sold at auction for just $88.00. (That was my biggest disappointment so far, I think.)

So, maybe putting one of the books in auction gave exposure to the fixed-price ones? And I wouldn't have sold one without the other? Or maybe it was just an odd coincidence, and I shouldn't have auctioned off that copy? Who knows.

Anyway, I have two more copies of this comic, both 9.8, and they are priced at $119 and $129. I'll reduce them by 5 or 10% every week or two, and we will see what happens, I guess.
Post 10 IP   flag post
600864 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?