Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help NeededQuestions

Grading/Pressing Question - Color-breaking Spine Ticks11068

Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
So I have had many books pressed and slabbed, but I have always been curious about the grade impact of color-breaking spine ticks and creases. Although pressing does not remove them, would a book be graded better if they are flattened by pressing rather than raised in their natural state? Thanks for any input you may have.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
Why woukd it make a difference in breaking color? Color breaking creases are the result of the book beibg creased and not as a result of the press from what I understand.
Post 2 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
It doesn't make a real difference. The rule of thumb used to be you could have two color breaking spine ticks on a 9.8 everything else being equal.
Post 3 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I have also had printer's creases pressed out. Honestly, the book looked better with the crease than it did after it was pressed. After pressing, the area that was void of ink stood out much more than it did before the press, but the crease was gone.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
Printer creases only count at super-high grades; you cannot get 10.0 and if longer, it will lower the max possible. But it’s better to keep it than to press it out and get voids.

But original question: depends on the size of the color break. If small enough, they barely affect grade. But if longer, they will affect grade, but still better to press out; you end up with only the color loss deduction and no crease damage to the paper.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderTim
Why woukd it make a difference in breaking color? Color breaking creases are the result of the book beibg creased and not as a result of the press from what I understand.

My point is that since the color is already broken, does it make a difference if the page is flat or bent at the crease?
Post 6 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
A crease is a crease. Color breaks effect grades. Creases effect grades. You cannot press out a printers crease. If you do, you will see a white inkless line left behind. Wavy bends and finger bends effect grades. So if you have a row of spine dents with creases and bends...yes the grade is impacted. By much? Hard to say, depends on the book, era, amount of defects, and other factors.

Conversely, if you have a 1.8 book with spine splits, missing pieces, and wavy bends with spine ticks....you probably aren't going to impact the grade much and is best left alone.
Post 7 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
From the standpoint of pure eye appeal it will enhance the look of the book, especially if the crease has a deep bend associated with it.

Many times it will have little no impact on the technical grade.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
From the standpoint of pure eye appeal it will enhance the look of the book, especially if the crease has a deep bend associated with it.

Many times it will have little no impact on the technical grade.

Thanks, this was the conclusion I was leaning towards. I have a certain group of books (not high value) which I care more about the technical grade than the eye appeal. In this case I'll save the money along with pressing wait time, and just submit them as-is.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
A crease is a crease. Color breaks effect grades. Creases effect grades. You cannot press out a printers crease. If you do, you will see a white inkless line left behind. Wavy bends and finger bends effect grades. So if you have a row of spine dents with creases and bends...yes the grade is impacted. By much? Hard to say, depends on the book, era, amount of defects, and other factors,

Ah, so you are saying the color break counts as one defect and the bend at the color break counts as another defect? So pressing could result in two defects becoming just one (the color break)?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Personally, if I have one with a c.b. AND a crease, I still want to get the crease out. It always looks better, IMO, if there is no longer a crease there.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
A crease is a color break most of the time. Just another form of grader notes shorthand. Not only that, but often times not all defects are listed on a graded book. If there are many other defects, they typically highlight the most obvious defects to save time and space on notes.
Post 12 IP   flag post
597911 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?