Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Graded

Request for our Canadian Members11055

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Hi guys!

As some of you guys have seen, I wrote up two Newbies Guides up at the top of the board to help new members navigate the ins and outs of submitting to CBCS.

One guide that I think would be incredibly helpful, which I am unfortunately not qualified to write, is a guide explaining the ins and outs of submitting books with CBCS Canada.

I wanted to ask if any of our Canadian users would be willing to write a step-by-step guide describing the process and describing what users should expect as far as submitting using CBCS Canada?

I’m willing to provide any help in putting it together that I can but I think this is something that really requires firsthand experience to get right without perpetuating any misinformation.

Thank you guys in advance!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
If someone is able to do this, it would get pinned to the top of the forum like the Newbies Guide.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
At first I thought maybe you were looking for us to hook you up with our 3rd cousins or something to get Canadian citizenship!!

Seriously though - I guarantee and promise nothing. I have the remainder of the week off and will be very busy for the next 2 months? (year end then following that the audit!! and I'm in the process of settling my uncles estate and emptying and prepping the house for sale - part of why I'm off is to donate household items over the next few days...if lucky I'll make it through all this with no breakdowns - already losing sleep through this whole process... sucks to be only child, only grandchild and only nephew of guys with no wives! i know, i know, i know...over share!!)

I can start to work on something though but need my work computer with it's tools i.e. snagit, so I can do screen shots and add boxes and arrows etc. etc.

I would say that almost everything is the same just we have no on-line form. You need to download and print a paper copy to send in with your order and then once in the system everything else flows the same. Slightly different pricing (not sure how often that is looked at to adjust for FX changes) and TATs are apparently slightly longer to allow for bulk shipping (I always get pressing so TATs are not really applicable in my experience)

1 benefit is that return shipping is cheaper than a direct return from the US. Might take a week or two longer as they ship to Oakville to resend to your home but from there you can choose FedEx or CanPar shipping (with pricing on the printed form). CanPar is maybe a day or two longer but it is also slightly cheaper. I have not had any experience with arranging drop off or pick up at the Oakville location.

Another benefit, at least for me, has been not having to explain to FedEx that no duty is required to be paid and having to go in to sign their paperwork so they are covered - their default is to try and charge you for brokerage fees etc.

FYI, - no duty is required!! These are your books you are getting back after an appraisal service has been done (appraisal services are not taxable) - pressing/cleaning does not physically change the books so you're good with those. Comic restoration if done is another matter...technically I think you would pay taxes on the new total assessed FMV (not just the difference in original value and new restored value). Would be interesting to try and argue that a restored comic might actually be worth less? i.e. is 3.0 blue worth more or less than restored 5 or 6??

I'm by no means a customs expert but so help me I like reading regulations (accountant!!) and so far whenever I say it was appraisal services I've never had to pay.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Seriously though - I guarantee and promise nothing. I have the remainder of the week off and will be very busy for the next 2 months? (year end then following that the audit!! and I'm in the process of settling my uncles estate and emptying and prepping the house for sale - part of why I'm off is to donate household items over the next few days...if lucky I'll make it through all this with no breakdowns - already losing sleep through this whole process... sucks to be only child, only grandchild and only nephew of guys with no wives! i know, i know, i know...over share!!)

Oy Vey! Maybe buddy should just sit this one out, eh?
Post 4 IP   flag post
So ah....I lied and decided to work on this instead of do work...I'll pay for that later!!

@dielinfinite how were you able to format everything? I tried saving my screen shots to excel and then created a PDF and then a Jpeg but everything is too small!!.
Should I maybe save each screen shot as JPEG then upload as I create in the reply box?

Post 5 IP   flag post
@KatKomics Thanks so much for stepping up!

As for the images, I do believe uploading to CBCS shrinks and compresses them so I uploaded the full resolution images to imgur.com, an image sharing site, and then used the “Image From Web” option (imgur can also auto-generate the image links in bbcode format en masse)

If it’s easier you can email me the images and I can host them on my imgur account and send you all the image links for you to insert in your guide.

Did you have a separate questions about formatting?
Post 6 IP   flag post
testing 1,2,3

sooooo….save as jpeg and type in reply box it is!!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Submitting to CBCS : Canadian Addendum
I have only highlighted the differences for Canadian submissions - all other info can be located in Submitting to CBCS : A Newbie's Guide

Canadian TATs are slightly longer as they gather and send/receive the books in bulk to/from the main offices rather than ship on an order by order basis

First off - we have our own portal for submissions

also available en Francaise

Our Pricing is in Canadian. Once your order is on your CBCS dashboard it will be in USD, don't worry, eventually a credit will be reflected on your amount due to bring you back to the CAD equivalent

A major departure is that we cannot create an on-line submission. We instead have a PDF download submission form to print and send in with your order.
I always make sure to keep a scan or photo copy for my own records.

The form is fairly straight forward. Keep in mind when mailing in your books that it is 1273 North Service Road East Unit F4 and it is L6H not I

Also take note of the pricing differences between FedEx and Canpar for your respective province - it can be significant!

Post 8 IP   flag post
Okay @KatKomics and @Jesse_O. I've done some editing to @KatKomics' original post. Including adding some direct links where I could and most significantly, I've created an editable PDF version of the submission form to make things a little easier. I also added a few details about what options are NOT described or available via CBCS Canada.

Take a look and let me know if there is something else that should be added or changed.

==START==
Here's a short guide highlighting the specifics of submitting your comics for grading using CBCS Canada and is meant to complement the Newbie's Guide to Submitting and the Newbie's Guide to Tracking Your Order. If you have a question that is not answered here, it might be addressed in one of those two guides.

One thing to get out of the way right off the bat is that Canadian TATs are slightly longer as CBCS gathers and sends/receives books in bulk to/from the main offices rather than ship on an order by order basis.

Now that that is understood, let's move on!

First off - CBCS Canada has its own portal for submissions

Click Here to access the CBCS Canada portal

Pricing is given in CAD. Current prices can be found here. Once your order appears on your CBCS dashboard it will be shown in USD but don't worry, eventually a credit will be reflected on your Amount Due to bring you back to the CAD equivalent

A major departure for submitting via CBCS Canada is that there is no online submission form available. Instead there is a downloadable PDF submission form to print and send in with your order. (There is also an editable PDF Form available here. It is a work in progress so please provide feedback for improvements)

It's always a good idea to keep a scan or photo copy for my own records.

The form is fairly straight forward. Unfortunately, the form provided is not nearly as fully-featured as the online submission form and lacks dedicated fields for signatures and other options so some improvisation is called for.

There is currently no information for options such as "Slab-Only" or "Raw Grade." If you are interested in these services, please contact Customer Service via email (customerservice@cbcscomics.com) or by phone (844-384-4777) for additional information and please share it in this thread so it can be added to the guide for other users. Also, likely due to the increased turn-around times for CBCS Canada orders, expedited options like 2-Day Modern, Quickstream, etc, do not seem to be offered.

Keep in mind when mailing in your books that it is 1273 North Service Road East Unit F4 and it is L6H not I

Also take note of the pricing differences between FedEx and Canpar for your respective province - it can be significant!

==END==
Post 9 IP   flag post
I just sent Customer Service a message to ask about availability and pricing for Slab-Only, RAW Grade, and expedited services so we can get concrete information added to the guide before posting
Post 10 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
(deleted, redundant post)
Post 11 IP   flag post
@GAC I’m not sure I understand what you’re trying to communicate. The prices for Modern and Vintage are on the order form and website so those aren’t really in question
Post 12 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite crap!! sorry man...I didnt see that up there....I'm doing this on my phone...small screen and no glasses....sorry man.🍻
Post 13 IP   flag post
@GAC No problem! If you’ve done CBCS Canada orders in the past please let me know if you have any feedback on the guide and if you have any info to add, thinking especially about questions we see asked repeatedly and all the small details that are easy to overlook
Post 14 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite thanks for the review and edits and the links and other interweb magic!!
Post 15 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite I've submitted four times to CBCS Canada. Excellent guide above you guys created! Thorough and accurate.

- Address process change (if any) if customer is Pressing or using VSP service.

- Using CBCS Canada avoids Customs concerns (might be worth mentioning).

- One can make a physical drop off of books (and pick up I believe) at the office with a scheduled appointment.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Sorry, It’s been kind of a busy weekend.

Thanks, @GAC! I will add that, unlike with standard CBCS orders, where you should ship pressing and grading orders to different locations, all CBCS Canada orders go to the same office.

Additionally, I’m gonna go through the CBCS Canada FAQ and glean what I can from that, as well as include a direct link within the guide
Post 17 IP   flag post
Okay, I think we're just about at a final draft. Any other questions, additions or feedback?

==START==
Here's a short guide highlighting the specifics of submitting your comics for grading using CBCS Canada and is meant to complement the Newbie's Guide to Submitting and the Newbie's Guide to Tracking Your Order. If you have a question that is not answered here, it might be addressed in one of those two guides or from CBCS Canada's FAQ, from which a lot of this guide is derived.

What is CBCS Canada?

Quote:
Originally Posted by
CBCS offers a new approach to grading comics in Canada. The process is easier, faster, and designed specifically for our Canadian customers. CBCS has teamed up with Universal Distributions to strengthen our services, for Canadian submissions. This collaboration offers a single location for sales support, submissions, and distribution of graded comics for the Canadian collecting community.

Basically, CBCS Canada is a local portal for Canadian collectors to submit comics to CBCS. CBCS Canada receives your books and ships them en masse to CBCS' main facilities in the United States. Once Graded, the US Offices ships books en masse to the CBCS Canada office, that will then distribute the books to collectors in Canada. When using CBCS Canada your order will be shipped back to you and cannot be picked up at the office directly.

If I am in Canada do I have to use CBCS Canada?

No you do not. CBCS Canada is an option available to users in Canada but you can still ship directly to CBCS' offices in the United States, keeping in mind that international shipping could be quite expensive and there could be issues with customs that you will have to handle should they come up.

One thing to get out of the way right off the bat is that Canadian TATs are slightly longer as CBCS gathers and sends/receives books in bulk to/from the main offices rather than ship on an order by order basis. Currently CBCS Canada estimates an 8-week, not guaranteed, turnaround.

CBCS Canada does not offer the Fast Pass option and it does not seem to offer other expedited services (Quickstream, 2-Day Modern, etc). If you need your books quicker than the estimated 8-week turnaround CBCS recommends submitting your books directly to the Dallas office instead of the CBCS Canada service.

Now that that is understood, let's move on!

First off - CBCS Canada has its own portal for submissions

Click Here to access the CBCS Canada portal

Pricing is given in CAD. Current prices can be found here. Once your order appears on your CBCS dashboard it will be shown in USD but don't worry, eventually a credit will be reflected on your Amount Due to bring you back to the CAD equivalent

A major departure for submitting via CBCS Canada is that there is no online submission form available. Instead there is a downloadable PDF submission form to print and send in with your order. (There is also an editable PDF Form available here. It is a work in progress so please provide feedback for improvements)

It's always a good idea to keep a scan or photo copy for my own records.

The form is fairly straight forward. Unfortunately, the form provided is not nearly as fully-featured as the online submission form and lacks dedicated fields for signatures and other options so some improvisation is called for.

There is currently no information for options such as "Slab-Only" or "Raw Grade." If you are interested in these services, please contact Customer Service via email (customerservice@cbcscomics.com) or by phone (844-384-4777) for additional information and please share it in this thread so it can be added to the guide for other users. Also, likely due to the increased turn-around times for CBCS Canada orders, expedited options like 2-Day Modern, Quickstream, etc, do not seem to be offered.

Submitting to CBCS Canada

With your submission form filled out, there are four options to submit your books to CBCS Canada.

1 - Submit books through a local comic book store that is set up as a CBCS Dealer. A full list of Dealers is not currently available.

2 - Submit books at the CBCS booth at any convention that CBCS is attending. A list of events CBCS is attending is available here.

3 - Drop off submissions at the Oakville facility. Only available Fridays from 10am-4pm. Appointments aren't required but are recommended because of the narrow window of availability which can be affected by staff attending conventions.

4 - Mail submissions directly to CBCS Canada's Oakville facility at
CBCS Canada
#F4-1273 North Service Road East
Oakville, ON L6H 1A7

Keep in mind when looking at the submission form below that the postal code is L6H not I. Also, unlike regular orders where Grading orders get shipped to one office and pressing orders to another, ALL CBCS Canada orders should be shipped to the Oakville office location.

Who can I contact about my CBCS Canada Order?
You can reach CBCS by phone at by phone (844-384-4777). You can also contact Customer Service via email at customerservice@cbcscomics.com or Steve Paulus with CBCS Business Development at spaulus@CBCScomics.com

==END==
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector mediaslave private msg quote post Address this user
Very irresponsible of you not to even briefly mention the moose.
Post 19 IP   flag post

Post 20 IP   flag post
600902 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?