Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

You gotta meet Steranko11041

Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Finally met Jim Steranko today, got 13 books signed. The experience kind of defies explanation, I will never forget it.
3.5 hours in line, not because it was 300 people deep but because he spends a good 10 minutes or so with each person. 3.5 fascinating hours watching a fascinating 81 year old man hold court and make life-long fans of every person he met.
The only guy I saw him spend less than 10 minutes with was actually deaf.
Jim looks like he should be in Vegas hanging out with Frank Sinatra and the Rat Pack.
On Saturday he did a signing in San Diego. Was supposed to head our way at 4:00 but was still signing in San Diego at 7:00.
He missed our 6:00-10:00 cocktail reception but I'm told that when he arrived at 10:00 he set up and went to work signing and talking to those who stayed that late. His assistant said he ate his one meal of the day at 1 AM.
I finally got to front of the line close to show closing on Sunday and there were several people behind me hoping to get books to CGC booth before they closed up. After 15 minutes with me he looked at his watch and said "I probably don't have time to tell you this story but I want to tell it". Then proceeded to tell me a 10 minute story that included Jack Kirby, 4 women at an art show and a deep dive into art theory. The net of the story was that one of the women told him "You make the grotesque look beautiful", and that was very influential to his work.
He then clasped my hand with both hands and said he will be back in town soon and I must come see him again...the man has massive charisma.

One suggestion, team up with the 2 guys next to you in line. That way at any time 2 of you can be attending the show while 1 of you holds the place in line.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
Well, this is actually well known in comic fans circles, he is making his own place in the hearts of very many people. I have had the immense good fortune to have met him several times including off-comics situations. As a comics novice he took me to his favourite deli in NYC, wherein he regaled me--and others--with stories of his New York neighbourhood, pugilism, black & white movie trivia and his breaks in the art field. Since then each time I meet him it is still the highlight of that particular day. There really is no one quite like Jim Steranko, the last time I met him I learned much about placement in panel art; more than I ever knew beforehand. For anyone who has not interacted with the man I would strongly suggest that you take whatever opportunity comes your way.
Post 2 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I will never ask him about his Italian designed suit again in fear of getting beat by the angry mob behind me.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRO
As a comics novice he took me to his favourite deli in NYC, wherein he regaled me--and others--with stories of his New York neighbourhood, pugilism, black

I read a quote years ago and I wish I could remember the exact wording because it was so perfect. It was something like this:
"Charisma is the special quality in someone else that makes you believe that you are the one with the special quality"

Using that definition, Mr. Steranko has definitely perfected the art of Charisma.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Dalkiel private msg quote post Address this user
@EbaySeller I was at that show Sunday also but I got there when the show opened and was 3rd in line to meet the Master. He's the Coolest of Cool.Everything said about him on this forum is spot on.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I was lucky enough a few years back to buy a ticket to have dinner with him (only 30 of us total)...was just awesome and if I got the chance to do it again I will jump at it!!

Like you say - very charismatic and the stories are great!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
And while they're nothing alike, it's fun watching him and Mike Royer together (maybe not in this photo LOL).
JS is a treasure.
And he makes Mike look tall

Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector gmellos private msg quote post Address this user
Damn! I live by SoCalComics. I feel dumb now. Jamie the owner is COOL AF too
Post 8 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Jim is a great guy! Also, I am lucky to say, a very good friend as well.
If you have not met him, do so as he loves to talk to his fans.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
And while they're nothing alike, it's fun watching him and Mike Royer together

They both looooooooooooooooooooooove to chat! In that way they are most definitely alike
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock

I feel like dumbass now. Jamie was hinting that I should go that last time I was at that shop. I regret not going now but I dont have a book done by him so that was main reason I didn't go to the Saturday event. Im sure Jamie has a Captain America 110 or some Nick Fury books. ergg. I hope he goes to SDCC or Wondercon now.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I can vouch for this. I got lucky and got his autograph last year, and I waited maybe 5 minutes.

There was one person in front of me, and he talked to him for a bit. Then when it was my turn, he was great. Chatted a bit, super friendly. You'd never guess the guy was a comics legend.

This might be blasphemy, but his autograph might be my favorite over Stan's.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmellos
Quote:

I feel like dumbass now. Jamie was hinting that I should go that last time I was at that shop. I regret not going now but I dont have a book done by him so that was main reason I didn't go to the Saturday event. Im sure Jamie has a Captain America 110 or some Nick Fury books. ergg. I hope he goes to SDCC or Wondercon now.

Something to consider if meeting Jim at a convention etc. is that he typically brings lots of lovely Steranko items that he is quite willing to sign and give you the history of. Yeah!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie

I think towards the end Stan was essentially a victim of elder abuse by his handlers. I bet if he had a manager who had Stan's best interest at heart there would have been less signatures out there but there would be more people happy that they had the chance to interact with Stan.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
Quote:

I can vouch for this. I got lucky and got his autograph last year, and I waited maybe 5 minutes.

There was one person in front of me, and he talked to him for a bit. Then when it was my turn, he was great. Chatted a bit, super friendly. You'd never guess the guy was a comics legend.

Another aspect of Jim's signings/chats is the signature itself. Anyone can sign a book or similar, Jim REALLY signs them. Watching him put pen to paper you can witness the care and respect of the item and person receiving the signature. I mentioned to him once that I wanted a poster of his signed to my friend as I was going to be gifting it to him, he spent so long in annotating and incorporating into the signature; my buddy was ecstatic. Yes, Jim is something special.
Post 15 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
I had the pleasure of having Jim sign about 10 books. It was hilarious to listen to him talk about everything. @RRO Your right about the care he takes, it's the only time when he stops talking. It's like he has to clear his mind to get the signature right. Never met him before, Jim being bigger than life as a comic legend, was such a tiny guy. He loved to compliment everyone and talk about the books the books he was signing. Definitely was one of the best experiences I've had having my books signed.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman66
I had the pleasure of having Jim sign about 10 books. It was hilarious to listen to him talk about everything. @RRO Your right about the care he takes, it's the only time when he stops talking. It's like he has to clear his mind to get the signature right. Never met him before, Jim being bigger than life as a comic legend, was such a tiny guy. He loved to compliment everyone and talk about the books the books he was signing. Definitely was one of the best experiences I've had having my books signed.

Where did you go? SoCal?
Post 17 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
@gmellos yes
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman66
@RRO Your right about the care he takes, it's the only time when he stops talking. It's like he has to clear his mind to get the signature right.

Now that you mention it, you're totally right, not only does he stop talking when he signs but I noticed he didn't hear anything I said while he was signing. He told me that Kirby was an "intuitive" artist and would start drawing as soon as his butt touched the chair. But he (Steranko) is a "rational" artist trained in Graphic Design and has to put a lot of thought and preparation into anything he draws. We discussed how his X-men logo starting on #50 symbolized a "rational" artist vs. an "intuitive" artist.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Few years back this one came up for sale at MCS auction....I told myself I woul stop at 100... well maybe 20 more....well lets say 150.....umm yeah auction ended north of 250 an I won the book and never regretted it.
His signature itself is done similar to artwork...and adding the green was just the ultimate for me. The right book, the right placement , the color and the signature just make for a killer piece

Paid more for this than two of my Kirbys an either of my Stan Lee's and at the time it was far more than the GPA showed it worth...nowdays the book alone in 8.5 hits that price...yikes
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Few years back this one came up for sale at MCS auction....I told myself I woul stop at 100... well maybe 20 more....well lets say 150.....umm yeah auction ended north of 250 an I won the book and never regretted it.
His signature itself is done similar to artwork...and adding the green was just the ultimate for me. The right book, the right placement , the color and the signature just make for a killer piece

Paid more for this than two of my Kirbys an either of my Stan Lee's and at the time it was far more than the GPA showed it worth...nowdays the book alone in 8.5 hits that price...yikes

A splendid item indeed, amongst the better of all covers methinks.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town

A splendid item indeed, amongst the better of all covers methinks.
soon it will be triplets. Batman66 had him sign two more for me this past weekend although they won't grade as high
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRO
Batman66 had him sign two more for me this past weekend

That was no small favor he did for you. After shepherding my books safely through the Steranko signing and then through the CGC line, I was completely exhausted.
Post 23 IP   flag post
I've not met Steranko myself nor submitted books after witnessing but it sounds like an insane amount of work
Post 24 IP   flag post
601630 24 24
This topic is archived. Start new topic?