Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Is Pressing Just Table Stakes Now?11007

Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Is pressing now something you virtually have to do? At least for post-Silver Age books?

A couple of times recently (last year or so), I've submitted some books without pressing. Obviously, I examine books carefully before sending them in. In a few cases, I noticed a slight indentation in the back cover when the book is held at just the right angle to the light. Indentation is probably too strong a word - call it instead a trivial variation from the mean on the cover. Certainly no color breaking, invisible if it's not held just right, etc. Obviously, these could be pressed out, but I considered the imperfection too minor to worry about. In each case, I ended up with a 9.6 instead of a 9.8 book, though I will argue to the grave that such a tiny half-flaw falls well within the range of what's acceptable for 9.8.

Of course these books are CA and Modern - we all know older books are graded more forgivingly.

But it leaves me wondering, since CBCS and CGC both have in-house pressing, if they're coming down harder on pressable imperfections like this to "encourage" us to use pressing services on all submissions. Or am I just a little cranky?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Ambush_Bug private msg quote post Address this user
It's quite possible. It could be the case that pressing lifts the expectations of the grader. Not because he/she KNOWS it's been pressed, but as far as I understand the grader compares the book to similarly graded books. So if there are a whole lot of absolutely perfect books with nary an imperfection (pressed), they'll have that in mind when comparing it to a book that hasn't been pressed and has a tiny indents or two. Of course.. with all the pressing, you could expect more of those perfect books to come out as 9.9s or 10s. But I guess they're all graded on a curve.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector crystalphoto private msg quote post Address this user
It seems to me, that the difference between the value of a silver or gold (and some moderns)going from 9.6 to a 9.8 would warrant a pressing, regardless (for the most part)... I really can't see grading a book without going for absolutely the highest grade possible... but that is me, and I am a tightwad...
If you can see an imperfection, regardless how minute, you can bet your bottom dollar that the graders will see it, and grade it accordingly.
I don't think you are being cranky, but you may be asking for leniency where none is warranted... just my .02
Post 3 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Some of the moderns I've been seeing from Marvel and IDW the last few years are atrociously wavy. You almost have to get it pressed. I'm not in the pressing is restoration camp. I look at pressing as no different than me ironing my slacks. As far as in-house pressing goes, my thoughts on that are different. Not restoration, but more conflict of interest. I digress. printing, paper and inks now don't seem to be worth $3.99 per issue.
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I’m not as anal about grades since I mostly grade books for witnessed signatures so I rarely press books. It helps that I also don’t sell too many books. So far I’m satisfied with the grades my books have gotten.

I do press if it’s something special for my collection (currently have a Robocop vs Terminator signed by Miller, Simonson, and Peter Weller in pressing that I’m hoping to land Schwarzenegger on this year).
Post 5 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Disregard, I'll repost
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector NoNoNoNoNoYes private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambush_Bug
...as far as I understand the grader compares the book to similarly graded books. So if there are a whole lot of absolutely perfect books with nary an imperfection (pressed), they'll have that in mind when comparing it to a book that hasn't been pressed and has a tiny indents or two.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? I would hope CBCS is not doing this.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Following
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Some of the moderns I've been seeing from Marvel and IDW the last few years are atrociously wavy. You almost have to get it pressed. I'm not in the pressing is restoration camp. I look at pressing as no different than me ironing my slacks. As far as in-house pressing goes, my thoughts on that are different. Not restoration, but more conflict of interest. I digress. printing, paper and inks now don't seem to be worth $3.99 per issue.

It's definitely restoration, although it's the most mild form.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
I don't mean to hi-jack your thread here but, any thoughts on getting a book... I'm not even sure what to call it, restored I guess by having "color touch" removed/scraped off? I just got a book with color touch on the cover. I just don't know if it would be better to leave it alone or get it worked on. Any advice?

Nothing new. CCS offers this service for CGC. I can't say I would recommend it unless you have an Action #1 that needs color touch removed...
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
The damned glossy paper used for modern books can be seriously wrinkled if not dried properly after printing. You pretty much have to press anything you want graded because of that. But EVERY page has to be separated by paper so they don’t stick together.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
@the420bandito Thanks
Post 12 IP   flag post
Johnny, where are your buccaneers?
Johnny: Under my buccan hat.
Gotlift private msg quote post Address this user
I had herd. (Caution herd is key word)
That CGC wouldn’t issue a 10 on the Batman Damned books unless you had it pressed by them.
This is hear say so take it as that please
But
I paid for the press and got 10’s back.

So go did it help. ?? 🤷🏼 🖖
Post 13 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Pressing is restoration in my opinion. The rules were changed once the "Powers that be" figured out a way profit from it. I liken it to the same way States legalize "bad things" for profit.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Since the hobby itself does not subscribe to the silliness of pressing as restoration , and most of the major authorities I have spoken to regarding the matter agree with the current consensus, I would say its pretty much a closed matter, and unlikely to change anytime soon.
Nevermind that much of the pressing that happens is done by third party pressing , that are not aligned with the grading services....and the very definition of things done during pressing in no means matches the definition of restoration.
People would obviously remove a crease before bagging a book, or wipe dust off a comic before bagging it, and even the process of using a stiff board and bag to remove acids, and straighten the book could just as easily be argued as restoration if that were the case. Would you remove soiling or pencil marks from an expensive book if you have the means and it does no damage to the comic? If you aren't adding to the original printed condition, and are not altering the paper or the inks why would it be an issue?

I think the part many miss is when you have a book pressed the cover is also cleaned which is to me at least more important than the pressing...removing fingerprints, soiling and dust that would otherwise be sealed with the book within its case. If I have a book slabbed it gets pressed and cleaned...but more to me because of the cleaning itself.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Since the hobby itself does not subscribe to the silliness of pressing as restoration , and most of the major authorities I have spoken to regarding the matter agree with the current consensus, I would say its pretty much a closed matter, and unlikely to change anytime soon.
Nevermind that much of the pressing that happens is done by third party pressing , that are not aligned with the grading services....and the very definition of things done during pressing in no means matches the definition of restoration.
People would obviously remove a crease before bagging a book, or wipe dust off a comic before bagging it, and even the process of using a stiff board and bag to remove acids, and straighten the book could just as easily be argued as restoration if that were the case. Would you remove soiling or pencil marks from an expensive book if you have the means and it does no damage to the comic? If you aren't adding to the original printed condition, and are not altering the paper or the inks why would it be an issue?

I think the part many miss is when you have a book pressed the cover is also cleaned which is to me at least more important than the pressing...removing fingerprints, soiling and dust that would otherwise be sealed with the book within its case. If I have a book slabbed it gets pressed and cleaned...but more to me because of the cleaning itself.

Why get a book pressed? To improve its condition. Is a machine used? Yes. Is heat and moisture added? Yes. Is the only reason it doesn't get a Purple label because it's very hard to detect? Pretty sure that's a yes.

It's restoration. Not sure why some guys get so defensive about it, the slab companies are not going to change their stances.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
This is akin to discussing politics or religion. We're not going to change each other's minds.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Probably right Dudley...Ive seen many a person argue this battle and they dont even understand how cleaning nor pressing are done ….let alone the literal definitions of what is and is not restoration accepted by the general hobby
Post 18 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Pressing is not restoration.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
...let alone the literal definitions of what is and is not restoration accepted by the general hobby

Are these the rules/definitions before or after CGC had Overstreet change their definitions in 2006?
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Pressing is not restoration.

So if you press out a spine roll you can't tell the difference?
Post 21 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNoNoNoNoYes
Why get a book pressed? To improve its condition. Is a machine used? Yes. Is heat and moisture added? Yes. Is the only reason it doesn't get a Purple label because it's very hard to detect? Pretty sure that's a yes.

It's restoration. Not sure why some guys get so defensive about it, the slab companies are not going to change their stances.

Wouldn't restoration have to be something tangible and undeniable? Something that leaves evidence on a book or removes a part of it? If pressing were considered restoration it have to be a presumption on the part of the grader, we would need a "Presumed Pressed" label. With true restoration no assuming is required.
Post 22 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@NoNoNoNoNoYes whether one can tell or not is not the definition of restoration.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
if you get your car detailed it looks much better than before.

if you remove a rusted panel and replace with new or vintage parts, if you grind out rust and put a piece of sheet metal etc. etc. ...it is restoration.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
if you get your car detailed it looks much better than before.

if you remove a rusted panel and replace with new or vintage parts, if you grind out rust and put a piece of sheet metal etc. etc. ...it is restoration.

brilliant analogy. And detailers sometimes use machines, heat and moisture.
Post 25 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Buy Raw High Grade in person, Get it pressed, get an artist to scrawl thick black sharpie across the cover, and put the whole kaboodle in a piece of plastic with a number and a yellow label.
sell and make 10 - 15x the amount the comic should be worth.

I love hobby trends and capitalism.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
@Nuffsaid111 say nothing of the prices differences between 9.6 and 9.8...is often multiples higher...crazy
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
@Nuffsaid111 say nothing of the prices differences between 9.6 and 9.8...is often multiples higher...crazy

My theory is that this will change. As I posted in another thread, I believe the market hasn't yet adjusted to the reality that 9.8 moderns are not rare. We are still operating on the mental conditioning we recieved in the pre-pressing days. I personally don't buy above 9.6 anymore unless the price difference makes sense.
Post 28 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
There will always be people that are fascinated and fixated with numbers. 9.8 vs 9.6. 4.5 stars movie rating vs. 4.6 stars.
Restaurant ratings that differ by 0.1.

Folks take subjective numbers that someone else tells them the number based on their opinion - and then attach such a ridiculous value more just because "it's the best number". It's not just comics.

We're not even talking measured values like 405 horsepower vs 400 horsepower. These are silly too but it's all about being the highest; the best; etc... Everyone wants the highest numbers for anything. Doesn't matter if they're statistically insignificant or someone's opinion. They want the highest!

I personally find it sad, but I hope it continues. And continue I believe it shall. People just can't get past "the highest/best number" syndrome in their heads. It's like a psychological block that prevents even the smartest from thinking clearly what they're really doing.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
I think pressing is restoration.
I couldn't care less because it is a very mild form of it. Like a cold.
Just like Hulk 180 vs 181-Admitting 180 is the 1st app, I don't fret over pressing having the designation of restoration because I don't think there's a reason to.
*great big shrug*
Post 30 IP   flag post
601461 55 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?