Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Worth a resub or keep knowing11006

Collector oakcitycomics private msg quote post Address this user
On the fince about one of the books i submitted in my recent order. Very minor imperfection that can be pressed and should make the book a 9.8 from 9.6.

But my concern is it really worth the cost to resub, book is more a long term hold then a flipper. But also with the imperfection is it possible it could eventually lead to a color break over time.

Here are the notes
Notes:
light bend right edge front cover
Post 1 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
A pic would help to guide you on this. What book is it? From the little information you have supplied, a press would help, but can’t advise on resubmission without knowing the book.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
A bend cannot become a color break on its own. If it’s not still folded over, it will just stay a bend.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
pressing isn't a 100% assured process either. Even if it's pressable, there is risk in the pressing process and it doesn't always fix what it theoretically can. Likely, it comes down to if you're making a monetary decision and weighting the pros/cons.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@etapi65 @CaptainCanuck
I thought the photo attached. Here it is. Its very hard to see, the light has to hit it just right. I circled the small bend

Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@oakcitycomics I think people are curious about the specific book because the price difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 factors into the decision. If the book’s only going to gain $30 in value as a 9.8, is it worth sinking in the pressing fees, grading fees, and shipping both ways?
Post 6 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite Right now the value isn't there to justify the cost really as the difference is about $20-30 from a 9.6. Its more a long term hold then a flipper. Book is TMNT 95 Eastman cover
Post 7 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
I would buy a 9.8 instead of gambling on a press but that's just me...
Post 8 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
With value not being a factor, it seems difficult to tell someone else if it's worth slabbing.
I'd say don't bother and just look for a 9.8 slab, but I don't have interest in the book or characters.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@the420bandito @Siggy I already have a 9.8. I submitted 3 books. So that's where the toss up comes from do I keep this 9.6 asis or pay $16 to regrade on my next order.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcitycomics
@dielinfinite Right now the value isn't there to justify the cost really as the difference is about $20-30 from a 9.6. Its more a long term hold then a flipper. Book is TMNT 95 Eastman cover

I think the answer is in your statement. If the value is not there, wait until the value is there...which I suspect will be never. Pressing has changed the game, and the public hasn't caught up yet to the fact that 9.8 moderns are not the rare gem that they once were. I would be very surprised if we don't see the value distance between 9.8 and 9.6 actually shrinking over the next few years.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@the420bandito @Siggy I already have a 9.8. I submitted 3 books. So that's where the toss up comes from do I keep this 9.6 asis or pay $16 to regrade on my next order.

I'm not really sure I follow. You already have a TMNT 95 Eastman cover 9.8, and you're hoping maybe this 9.6 can get there too?
Post 12 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
You can always choose to press and regrade several years from now, but at the current market value it's not worth the investment..looks like this was already stated by @ebayseller.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@oakcitycomics
Quote:

If it’s just $16, then sure, why not? But, you’ll also need to pay and wait for the press (unless you press books yourself).
Post 14 IP   flag post
@Siggy Yes, part of me is like this small fixable defect is all that held the book back so is it worth the $16 to regrade. Then the other part of me is like leave it be and revisit in a few years
Post 15 IP   flag post
@CaptainCanuck I press my own books, had a bad experience on a GSX with CGC in house that made me learn to just do it my self
Post 16 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Siggy Yes, part of me is like this small fixable defect is all that held the book back so is it worth the $16 to regrade. Then the other part of me is like leave it be and revisit in a few years

I get that. People above are right, the reslab maybe doesn't make financial since. But demand for this book is strong. I just sold two copies of cover A (9.8) recently ... $91 at auction, and $120 with fixed price. Recent bids on cover B were: $60 (late Sept, 9.6) and $89 (Oct, 9.8). And cover B seems harder to get than cover A.

Anyway, you said this is a long term hold for you. So yeah, I'd go ahead and send it in with your next batch. You want to do it eventually, you might as well go ahead and knock it out. Especially since you press your own books.
Post 17 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@CaptainCanuck I press my own books, had a bad experience on a GSX with CGC in house that made me learn to just do it my self
I press my books also but keep in mind if you have a yellow label and you crack it to press, you can’t get another yellow label it would be red. I’m sure some other forum members could elaborate but I’m pretty certain you would retain a yellow label if cbcs presses it.
Post 18 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Ha! My fault! You never said you had it signed. It looks like I could have read the thread more closely.
Post 19 IP   flag post
601461 19 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?