Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgeWant to Buy

WTB TOS 39 3.0-4.011005

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like negotiations fell through. I literally paid and was refunded. He missed my request for Goods & Services in our chat.

I’m pretty bummed. I thought I’d finally made a deal.
Post 51 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
@00slim yeah I got burned for 3k doing the f&f so I learned the hard way. Let us know the outcome
Post 52 IP   flag post
He said he’ll pass. He’s not comfortable dealing with me cuz I’m new to their boards.

I said he gets more protection with Goods & Services, not less. That seems to be the end of it.

I told him I’ll keep looking. I’m legit sad, man.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
He said he’ll pass. He’s not comfortable dealing with me cuz I’m new to their boards.

I said he gets more protection with Goods & Services, not less. That seems to be the end of it.

Don't be, something about the deal is fishy if it fell through simply because he was demanding an unsecure form of payment.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim

Don't be, something about the deal is fishy if it fell through simply because he was demanding an unsecure form of payment.

True. It’s just rather disconcerting because I thought my search was finally over & it was a particularly solid 4.0.

There will be others, I know.
Post 55 IP   flag post

Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Even if you are new on their boards, your money still counts the same as anyone else's...that's bogus if you ask me
Post 56 IP   flag post
The thing I thought was strange? In my request to go Goods & Services, I said I’d pay an additional $100 to help with the PayPal fees. Leaving him to pay (roughly) $74 of the $174.

I thought I was being considerate.
Post 57 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I'm used to paying 13% seller fees between Paypal and Ebay so I'd gladly pay 3% anytime on a sale. There's something strange about the fact that he wasn't even willing to pay less than 1.5% for the transaction. I'd stay away from the guy.
Post 58 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@00slim you dodged a bullet I think. Like @EbaySeller @Darkseid_of_town and @flanders have stated, something is wrong here. That is not normal behaviour from someone legitimately wanting to sell. How on earth is a $74 fee on a $6K+ book disagreeable?

Don't be sad... be happy, this possibly could have ended disastrously for you.
Post 59 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I'll only do F&F with people I've done business with before. I know it F&F isn't supposed to be used that way, but with some people I have that rapport. Everyone else gets G&S. Don't feel upset because this sounded kind fishy from the start. I think Bob Storms mentioned he listed a TOS 39 for sale on the High Grade Comics website. Not sure if you tried there.
Post 60 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
I'll only do F&F with people I've done business with before. I know it F&F isn't supposed to be used that way, but with some people I have that rapport. Everyone else gets G&S. Don't feel upset because this sounded kind fishy from the start. I think Bob Storms mentioned he listed a TOS 39 for sale on the High Grade Comics website. Not sure if you tried there.

Just checked their site. They have a 5.5 for $11,000 and a 7.0 for $20,000. A little out of my budget.

I appreciate the lead, though. 👍🏼
Post 61 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
clickable text
Post 62 IP   flag post
@GAC Thanks, bro. I saw this one. I’m looking for O/W or better PQ.
Post 63 IP   flag post
Thoughts on this one? The spine roll kinda kills it for me. Would a press help? He doesn’t have the notes. I’d have to buy them.

clickable text
Post 64 IP   flag post
ol school slab...that in itself might help it grade higher on a resub, but I also seen worse spine rolles pressed out...staples look as if they are rusting and migrating?
Post 65 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
ol school slab...that in itself might help it grade higher on a resub, but I also seen worse spine rolles pressed out...staples look as if they are rusting and migrating?

They do look rusty. Ewwwww. Never mind.
Post 66 IP   flag post
hard to tell for sure, the staples look metallic but there seems like a stain under them, might pay to ask. Might just be they were dirty
Post 67 IP   flag post
He won’t come down enough for me to consider it anyway, as it turns out.

Appreciate the input, guys.
Post 68 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@00slim - Is the first CBCS 4.0 copy still available? I keep thinking that was a decent copy, and it had white pages.
Post 69 IP   flag post
mcs still has that 5.0 with cream to off whites for 8400...might be worth it to toss in the extra and just get a bit nicer copy
Post 70 IP   flag post

Post 71 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@00slim - Is the first CBCS 4.0 copy still available? I keep thinking that was a decent copy, and it had white pages.

The cover being detached from the bottom staple kills it for me, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
mcs still has that 5.0 with cream to off whites for 8400...might be worth it to toss in the extra and just get a bit nicer copy

I just can’t stretch that far, sadly.
Post 72 IP   flag post
I think I’ll have decent luck at a Con. Once all the Spidey books sell, I’ll pretty much be able to go all cash.
Post 73 IP   flag post
eh just max your cards, skip your rent, an you know...ramen noodles....Im sure that 8400 is doable !
Post 74 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I found this. Not sure if youve seen it from dtacollectibles.

clickable text

Its also on Ebay for $6300 obo.
Post 75 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
I found this. Not sure if youve seen it from dtacollectibles.

clickable text

Its also on Ebay for $6300 obo.

A fellow board member sent me this. As of now, it’s my most likely option.

I’ve tried calling & e-mailing them about it. I’d like to see if they’d do $5k through their site. With taxes, I’d be at roughly $5500, which I could live with.
Post 76 IP   flag post
@00slim Ha! That was the first one I PM'd you...Its clean and probably the best candidate...go for it!!!
Post 77 IP   flag post
@00slim $5K is a very solid offer on a $5250 priced book....you may even be able to offer a little less...$4900?
Post 78 IP   flag post
Yep. At the full price, after taxes, I’m in 4.0 price territory. That’s the only thing holding me back. If he’s work with me a little, I’d bite. His voicemail box is full, though.
Post 79 IP   flag post
@00slim it's a highly desirable book...the sellers have the upper hand because it will be sold at some point. From what I've seen $5250 is not a bad price...you can probably talk him down some as it's not everyday someone drops $5K on a book. I wish you luck because I know how badly you want this book. Even if you pay a little more than you wanted, know that in time the value of this book will increase and that difference wont matter to you and you'll be happy you've got the book....assuming this is for your collection for the long run and not being flipped. Good luck!!!
Post 80 IP   flag post
601460 115 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?