Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Christmas vs. Grade Reveal Day10981

Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
A couple weeks ago NPR had a great show on Memories...what goes into memories and how they can be altered. I think the show was Radio Lab, an impressive scientific investigation show. Anyway, they discussed how early childhood memories of Christmas are so much stronger and, well more memorable, than memories of later Christmases. The premise was that as children, Christmas has a magical "anything can happen" appeal to it. Whereas adults control the Christmas experience, so it doesn't contain that mixture of anxiety, anticipation and optimism that gives the very pleasant and memorable endorphin release. I never had a childhood Christmas myself, but my kids have and I assume that Grade Reveal Day is a fairly similar experience? The anxiety and anticipation of finding out what grades your comics recieved makes for an endorphin high that I tend to want to stretch out as long as possible...which may explain why I keep finding more books to add to my submissions.
Do you all get a similar experience from revealing your slab grades? Do you wait for the books to come back to you, or do you have to know the day they are posted (I won't check by phone, but I definitely check they day they are posted. Is there anything else (appropriate for discussion) that happens in your life regularly that creates a similar feeling of excitement? I'm thinking maybe the anticipation leading up to a vacation or weekend in Vegas?
Post 1 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
Very interesting. I think it also applies when your on the hunt, when you find a book or collection, especially if you get a killer deal. As for me I find out the grade as soon as I'm able. Just found out yesterday a book I've had at cgc since September just finished getting slabbed. I knew it was a nice book. I bought a Grendel 1 to have Matt Wagner sign it. Paid 100for it. Found out it came back a 9.8. There was that euphoric experience your taking about. Wow. Only 9 other 9.8's on the census, wow, no other signature series exists on the census. Man I was (am) still riding that euphoric state. Totally see what you are talking about.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Books that I want for my personal collection - I don't get slabbed. I put them in mylites (and board).
Anything I decide to get slabbed will be sold.
It's too easy to obtain a boatload of $$$ for a number.

In summary, my jubilation of submissions comes from the exorbitant amounts of folks pay for 9.8's. aka the "9.8 Syndrome" I call it.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
When I was younger and healthier, duck, goose and deer hunting had that effect on me. It was the anticipation of the night before that really made the next morning special. Just getting up in the morning, eating, getting out to where you want to hunt and blending in before sunrise was a rush. To sit in the woods or a swamp as the sun comes up and life awakes all around you is an euphoric experience unlike any other. Just to be out in nature and the elements can be a wonderous time. For me, it didn't matter much if I shot my gun at all. I often took my camera and ended up shooting that a lot more!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
And actually, fishing is an euphoric experience also. But I'll leave that experience for others to share.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I am one of the most impatient people I know. And yet my wife and I waited until the birth of our kids to learn their sex, and I still don’t want to know the grade until I open up the box. I’m a firm believer they need to “cook” as long as possible before the reveal...and it’s definitely been more memorable the times I’ve waited verses the times I did not.

If anything, when I found out before on the website I just ended up stewing about the poor grades I got until it arrived to see what the defects they found were...so it had the opposite effect as waiting.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
I can't wait and look at grades as soon as the books ship - guilty.

As far as getting a rush out of something, sure there are still some things that work. Like Jesse said, the anticipation of going fishing, especially to a new place that you have heard good things about. Just last weekend I meet up with a few of my fishing buddies to talk about our yearly fishing trip to Maine. We looked at new lakes to fish and then looked at what houses were available to rent on those lakes. We need room for three bass boats, six guys, and three vehicles with trailers. We decided on a place on Webber Lake, and we are booked for 4 days and 3 nights at the end of May! So even though we haven't been able to get out to fish in several weeks, we have the anticipation of that trip to look forward to.

And of course comics can still make me euphoric. Finding a key issue in one of your long or short boxes you hadn't looked at in a while that you forgot you even had. Walking into your LCS and seeing the owner putting a copy of a book on your want list up on the wall and you know that if you walked in the next day, maybe even the next hour, it would have been gone. Looking at the CBCS grades and getting a bunch of 9.8's, or getting/tying the highest grade for a book from the 1960's, or having one of your books show up as a Featured Comic on the website. Trowing a low opening bid on an ebay auction, forgetting all about it, and getting notification a few days later that you won. Flipping through a dollar box and finding something good, then wondering what else might be in there. I used to also get excited when someone would tell me their - aunt, uncle, cousin, friend - has some comics they haven't looked at in decades and I should talk to them. My mind would go crazy trying to figure out how old that person was (GA, SA, BA) and what keys might be there, but at least for me, those never seem to work out.

Hey, it's all good, so enjoy it. And if it feels good, do it!
Post 7 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
I haven’t submitted an order yet where I didn’t know the grades before unboxing. I bet if the option wasn’t there I wouldn’t mind at all but knowing I can find out is to much of a temptation.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@esaravo, I saw you sent in some holiday promo orders, I sent in one. If I can do a blind box open so can you, should we give it a shot? I only submitted 3 books and two of them I’m fairly confident of so it wouldn’t be that drastic but it’s a start.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
@esaravo, I saw you sent in some holiday promo orders, I sent in one. If I can do a blind box open so can you, should we give it a shot? I only submitted 3 books and two of them I’m fairly confident of so it wouldn’t be that drastic but it’s a start.

Got my first Holiday Promo order of 10 SA/BA books back today - will post scans in a bit. I have another order of 15 BA/CA/Modern dreck that's currently in labels. I have submitted over 20 orders to CBCS for grading since 2015 and couldn't once wait for them to arrive to see the grades!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
As my life has achieved terminal velocity, the memories and moment fly by. Wife and I are planning a trip to extremely remote Kodiak, where we met at a salmon cannery far off the beaten track. It is now a sort of resort, so we will take a trip to where it’s not fishing, it’s catching, it’s not hunting, it’s harvesting, and the bears are to die for.
Grades are still a rush. Been day trading stocks the last month, that’s the latest blood thinner
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Quote:

Got my first Holiday Promo order of 10 SA/BA books back today - will post scans in a bit. I have another order of 15 BA/CA/Modern dreck that's currently in labels. I have submitted over 20 orders to CBCS for grading since 2015 and couldn't once wait for them to arrive to see the grades!
so you’re saying no go on the call out? Hahah, I’ll do it without you. This would only be my 6th submission, I’m gonna break the cycle before you it appears.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@HeinzDad - I can’t promise, the mind is willing but the flesh is weak. But I will see if I can get through next week without looking every day, and then peeking as soon as possible. How hard can that be?
Post 13 IP   flag post
I’m going to do it because it’ll be like the last time I had xmas before my brother and I discovered Santa’s hiding place. FYI, my parents hid presents in the bed of my dads truck that rarely left the garage.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman66
I bought a Grendel 1 to have Matt Wagner sign it. Paid 100for it. Found out it came back a 9.8. There was that euphoric experience your taking about

You know what man, you're not welcome in Long Beach anymore. You keep coming into my city and snaking those deals right out from under me. I cannot believe you found a 9.8 Primer...oh wait, you said Grendel 1. Ok, I can live with that. Nice find though, that 9.8 makes all the difference doesn't it?

Quote:
I haven’t submitted an order yet where I didn’t know the grades before unboxing. I bet if the option wasn’t there I wouldn’t mind at all but knowing I can find out is to much of a temptation.

I need to check my grades as soon as they are posted because the anticipation keeps me drinking coffee all night.
Post 15 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
@EbaySeller I have a 9.6 primer 2 that I was going to have Matt sign but chickened out if it lost the grade. Wanted to get a Grendel 1 anyway so it just worked out. I will be posting pictures of them once I get it back, by the way, still super stoked 😁
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
@EbaySeller I have a 9.6 primer 2 that I was going to have Matt sign but chickened out if it lost the grade. Wanted to get a Grendel 1 anyway so it just worked out. I will be posting pictures of them once I get it back, by the way, still super stoked 😁

I have a 9.4 Primer that I can't part with because it's one of the few books I own that is in very limited supply. The covers of the 3 Black and White Grendels have a special panache to them that's hard to explain. Same with the Magazine size Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. They are worthy representatives and Icons of the 80's Indie movement.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I have 7 books coming back from CGC. So that anticipating a Christmas gift feeling when I was a kid is present. I am holding out to see the grades when I open the box. While attempting to look into the tracking I accidently got on the part where they give you the grade results. Luckily I only looked at the first one listed before I covered the view with my hand. Happily it was a 9.8 book. So I teased myself a little bit. I love the surprise effect.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Paint_Monk private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Quote:

I have a 9.4 Primer that I can't part with because it's one of the few books I own that is in very limited supply. The covers of the 3 Black and White Grendels have a special panache to them that's hard to explain. Same with the Magazine size Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. They are worthy representatives and Icons of the 80's Indie movement.

Totally agree. Wagner's original Grendel issues are grails of mine - and you're absolutely right, there's something "about" the look of those issues, even though I enjoyed the later release of Grendel while reading.
Post 19 IP   flag post
@HeinzDad - My order made it to Shipping status today.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@esaravo do you know what day those books were received by cbcs
Post 21 IP   flag post
I lied @esaravo, I looked at my grades for my holiday submission I receive tomorrow.
Post 22 IP   flag post
You might want to stay alert. Mine made it to shipping Wednesday and last night I could view my grades but I never got a shipped email or tracking number. Today I got a text from fed ex saying it will arrive tomorrow. This was going to be my only complaint about this order, which is minimal but usually I have to change shipping to my local drop zone on account of work.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
@esaravo do you know what day those books were received by cbcs

I mailed them on January 6th, so they were received on the 8th. Unfortunately I don’t think they were shipped today, so they won’t leave CBCS until Monday. Once they are shipped, they no longer show as an Open Order and you can see your grades and any notes.

Like @HeinzDad said, you don’t always get the Shipped email with the Tracking info. But if you can see your grades, they were shipped. FedEx sends me a text the day before requesting someone be home to sign for the package, so I know when it is arriving.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
I lied @esaravo, I looked at my grades for my holiday submission I receive tomorrow.

Should I look on Monday, or wait until the package arrives on Wednesday or Thursday?
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Quote:

Should I look on Monday, or wait until the package arrives on Wednesday or Thursday?
I dunno man. I feel kind of bad because I called you out and me about blind boxing. I ended up caving because it was the first time I submitted books I pressed. One is for my daughter and I asked her if we should wait or look, and she said wait. Haha. I replied ok. Not even 5 minutes later I told an 8 year old, well, I’m looking I won’t tell you the grade of your book.
Post 26 IP   flag post
@HeinzDad - I was hoping we could wait it out together and prop each other up. Now I know I will cave in and peak on Monday or Tuesday.
Post 27 IP   flag post
I’ll post my books tomorrow on the holiday thread, maybe that’ll hold you over. One of them might be the only silver age book I own. Courtesy of @GAC.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
I’ll post my books tomorrow on the holiday thread, maybe that’ll hold you over. One of them might be the only silver age book I own. Courtesy of @GAC.

Post them now dammmit, I need to see some slabs! My books haven't budged from "processing" in two weeks. The sad thing is that one of my CBCS notifications went to my junk mail a while back...so now when I have books in I've become conditioned to check my junk mail box about 5 times a day!
Post 29 IP   flag post
600879 29 29
This topic is archived. Start new topic?