Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Silver Age

Holiday Sale Mail Call10968

I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
X-Men #55 - I was hoping 9.0, but obviously missed a few things. Big swing and a miss.

Post 26 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
X-Men #58 - I wanted an 8.5 and received an 8.0, the wrong way close yet again.

Post 27 IP   flag post
I get a lot of satisfaction out of my high grade SA DC's. They are even harder to find in high grade with white page quality. I knew this issue of Adventure Comics #342 was at least a 9.0. Bingo.

Post 28 IP   flag post
Adventure #343 - another Bingo.

Post 29 IP   flag post
And just for fun, Man-Thing #1. I have a short run of the first half-dozen issues or so, and figured I would see how this one graded. I expected an 8.5 - another winner. Although I think this is an under-valued book, I still wish it were a Swamp Thing #1 instead.

Post 30 IP   flag post

Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
I get a lot of satisfaction out of my high grade SA DC's. They are even harder to find in high grade with white page quality. I knew this issue of Adventure Comics #342 was at least a 9.0. Bingo.

9 is such a satisfying starting number for silver age books. Anything after the decimal is gravy.
Post 31 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
My order was bounced back to grading so maybe they’re going to change the label on my book
Post 32 IP   flag post
Damn, it looks like they corrected the label on the Batman book and they’re on the way back BUT I just found another error. On the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Special Edition, which was released to promote the dvd release of the film, the label states the same release date of the original book, 3/1999

-_-
Post 33 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Mail call! I only submitted three books, which I’m starting to regret, to a cbcs rep on December 29. That would make tomorrow four even weeks and I should say I was on board with the 20% off and never really thought a 4 week TAT was sustainable. For once it wasn’t bad to be wrong.
I got this Peanuts book from either @Paulbg or @Flanders flash sale, sorry I don’t remember which one, it’s been a minute.
This Hulk 102 is courtesy of @GAC’s sales thread. I’m pretty sure I’m submitting my She Hulk 1 I purchased from him also.
And lastly a book I’m going to try to sell to fund my next submission. An auction is ending on flea bay tomorrow so I should get an accurate scale of what people are actually paying. I certainly don’t feel like listing it for 230 or some goofy $&!@ and letting it sit there for 30 days.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Now that I think of it I purchased this bad boy when I submitted those last 3 books, so it’s kind of grouped with them.
Post 35 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo gorgeous books congrats on the grades
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector Donnied private msg quote post Address this user
My Holiday books were just marked as "shipping". Anybody know how long it will be before the grades are on my dashboard?
Post 37 IP   flag post
I got a shipping email on Wednesday, Thursday evening I could see my grades, and on Friday afternoon I received a text fro fed ex saying a package had to be signed for today. Soooooo, three days after mine went into shipping I received them?
Post 38 IP   flag post
@Batman66 - Thanks, my second Holiday batch hit Shipping on Friday, so I should have more books to post soon (newer stuff).
Post 39 IP   flag post
@Donnied - While Labels can takes weeks (even months), Shipping should only be a day or two (usually).
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector Donnied private msg quote post Address this user
Friday I got an email, at 10:54, that my books were starting in Grading. At 2:58, they were marked as Shipping. But my question was when will the grades be shown on my dashboard, because I am dying of curiosity to see what they received. Hopefully the graders were in a good mood.
Post 41 IP   flag post
@Donnied Once the books have left the shipping department and are on their way

Newbie’s Guide to Tracking your Order
Post 42 IP   flag post
@Donnied - Once they ship, they are no longer under your Open Orders. They will be under My Comics and/or Order History, and you can see your grades.
Post 43 IP   flag post
I got my second order in today!

Unfortunately, I'm planning on sending that last book back for some label fixes. The label gives it a release date of 3/1999, matching the initial release of the original issue. However, the "Special Edition" was released years later and even has a back cover ad for the dvd release of the film, which didn't come out until 2013!
Post 44 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite Sorry about the mistakes on the label. Please PM me and I will help ya out.
Post 45 IP   flag post
@sborock Thank you, Steve! PM sent
Post 46 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
OK, got to see my first look at a batch of grades today! I had said that if I could pull one 9.8 it would be a successful submission. I pulled two 9.8's and two 9.6's. Of course the 9.8's were on the least significant books I submitted, but they were also the ones with the best chance of 9.8:

Booster Gold 1: 9.8 pressed by my California presser
Booster Gold 1: 8.5 my presser declined it and I stupidly submitted.
Eternals 2 9.0 whatever
Green Lantern V2 48 9.8 bought at mcs as 9.4 not pressed by me
Green Lantern V2 48 9.6 bought at mcs as 9.2 not pressed by me
Green Lantern V2 48 8.5 bought on Ebay as 9.8ish lol.
Joker 1 7.0 not pressed from teenage purchases in 80's
Marvel Spotlight 29 8.5 not pressed from my purchases in 80's
Marvel Teamup #65 8.5,8.5, 7.5 most bought from MCS years ago, my presser declined to try to improve them.

Moon Knight 1 9.2 Whatever, dumb submission
Rom 1 8.5 either dumb submission or bad packaging for shipping.
She-Hulk 1 9.2 my presser told me it would only get a 9.2
X-men 109 5.5 expected 5.5 to 6.5
X-men 107 8.5 expected 5.0, turns out the light color is a production issue, not fading.
Strange Tales #126 4.5 expected 3.5-4.0

Overall this was a big win, I will be able to pay for the slabbing with a couple of sales from this group. The only disappointments were Moon Knight and Rom which I thought both had possibilities for 9.8. Strange Tales 126 and X-men 107 were both pleasant surprises. The Spider-man 162 9.6 was purely due to pressing of a comic that had been stored improperly.
Post 47 IP   flag post
FedEx dropped off my 202020 Promo order that was received by CBCS on January 8th today. I had already submitted some interesting SA books a few weeks before that for the HOLIDAYS20 Promo, so I just grabbed 15 books of what @Studely_Dudley likes to call Drek to submit for this order. I had purchased the 13 BA books new back in the 1970's and 1980's, and the 2 Moderns I bought "used" - one from ebay and one from my LCS. I had doubles of some of the books, so I submitted 2 copies of 4 of the books. I thought that all the books would be in the 9.4 to 9.6 range, with a few potential 9.8's. None of the books were pressed. I will probably sell off a few of these to fund my next order and a future purchase or two. So if you see something that you must have, send me a PM and maybe we can work out a deal. Scans to follow in a minute or two.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Going in alphabetical order, here are my two copies of 2001: A Space Odyssey that feature the first appearance of Machine Man (but he was called Mister Machine then). Pretty nice and bright yellow cover by Kirby and Royer and both received the expected (hoped for?) grade.

Post 49 IP   flag post
Another double header with a bright yellow cover. I was very pleased that both copies pulled 9.8's.

Post 50 IP   flag post
This was an ebay purchase from about 3 or 4 years ago. I picked up a 9.6 from a fellow CBCS forum member a few months ago, so that one would be available. Again I was very pleased with the 9.8 grade.

Post 51 IP   flag post
I picked this one up at my LCS last year when I got caught up in the Immortal Hulk hype. I hoped for a 9.8, but knew a 9.6 was more likely. Plus it goes nicely with the 9.6 #2 that I got from @Enelson a while back.

Post 52 IP   flag post
I thought this one had a shot at a 9.8, but I guess I sold my best copy to @Polka last year. And does a non-Blue Galactus Variant exist?

Post 53 IP   flag post
My very own copy of AF #15 in 9.8! Well at least it's a reprint of AF #15, and it's a Newsstand to boot! Again I was very pleased to get a 9.8 on this comic. My question is why doesn't the label say that it's a reprint of AF #15? Shouldn't that be on the label?

Post 54 IP   flag post
Two Moon Knights for the price of one! This book seems to be on the move up, especially in high grade, so I was ecstatic to get a 9.8 and 9.6 on these two books.

Post 55 IP   flag post
601527 59 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?