Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Too Much Pressure.. A Top Loader Question10946

Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
For close to a year now I have been storing my favorite books in a 2 mil Mylar with one fullback. I then place that in a silver age BCW top loader. Recently, when I took a look at some of the books, they seem to have more spine ticks and color breaks than I remember. All the books placed in the Silver age top loaders have been bronze age and copper age. When using a top loader, is it better to use a poly bag and normal backing board as it's not as thick? Has anyone else experienced this? Maybe I'm just becoming more aware with conditioning? Thanks you
Post 1 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
I’ve never used top loaders but I’d just like to ask if it’s more pressure than a press? If not I can’t see how this would hurt them. I could be wrong though.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector NoNoNoNoNoYes private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattness
For close to a year now I have been storing my favorite books in a 2 mil Mylar with one fullback. I then place that in a silver age BCW top loader. Recently, when I took a look at some of the books, they seem to have more spine ticks and color breaks than I remember. All the books placed in the Silver age top loaders have been bronze age and copper age. When using a top loader, is it better to use a poly bag and normal backing board as it's not as thick? Has anyone else experienced this? Maybe I'm just becoming more aware with conditioning? Thanks you

Are you putting Top Loaders in a comic box or are these displayed on the wall?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
I’ve never used top loaders but I’d just like to ask if it’s more pressure than a press? If not I can’t see how this would hurt them. I could be wrong though.

You could stack your comics to the moon and the bottom one still wouldn't receive as much pressure as a press can give it.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@mattness
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattness

I would say you’re just becoming more aware of condition.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
The problem is in using a fullback. If your toploaders aren't for “thick” comics, then the fullback will be too thick and can cause problems for the comics.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano0521
The problem is in using a fullback. If your toploaders aren't for “thick” comics, then the fullback will be too thick and can cause problems for the comics.

We're talking about about these aren't we?

I don't see how a Fullback could be too thick???
Post 7 IP   flag post
I’d say if you can get them in there to begin with, the top loaders aren’t the case. I’m going with @CaptainCanuck on this one. Mostly because I’ve noticed this with myself and my collection.
Post 8 IP   flag post
to much “press”ure, would flatten the ticks not make more..
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@mattness I think that you are becoming more aware of the minor details from being part of this great forum. I can definitely look at a comic book and see it's flaws much better than I could about 5 years ago.
One thing that I learned about toploaders is to never put a book in there with just a backing board. The cover side of the book will get all scratched up. This happened to a couple of my books when I did not know any better.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
@NoNoNoNoNoYes - The top loaders are stored in a plastic corrugated comic book box. Those are the correct BCW top loaders. (image you provided)

@cyrano0521 - I took out the full back and that helped a lot. However, removing the full back, the top loader and book have become quite pliable. Are there different thicknesses of Top Loaders for comics? I know there are for trading cards, ie 28 pts. 30 pts etc

@CaptainCanuck - @HeinzDad - @BrianGreensnips - I guess it’s good news that I’m learning and becoming more aware of condition. But it also kinda stinks. Now my “high” grade books have become mid-grade

Thanks again everyone, I really do appreciate it.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Just use a standard board, maybe two, or buy half-backs. Yes, there should be regular and “thick” top loaders along with the golden/silver/modern sizes. Or there should be...
Post 12 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
I think sometimes we can go overkill with books. Standard 2Mil mylar and full back boards work just fine without the need for the top loaders.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
I think sometimes we can go overkill with books. Standard 2Mil mylar and full back boards work just fine without the need for the top loaders.

This. Bags and boards are all you need. If even that, really. Recall that all the amazing pedigree collections out there spent decades stacked in foot lockers or piled up in basements.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Try Silver Age Poly Bag with 1 or 2 Silver Age backers. Then put in Golden Age 4 mil Mylar. Gives the books a great glossy look with just the right amount of rigidity.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Try Silver Age Poly Bag with 1 or 2 Silver Age backers. Then put in Golden Age 4 mil Mylar. Gives the books a great glossy look with just the right amount of rigidity.

This defeats the entire purpose of putting a comic in Mylar. If you're going to pay for Mylars you do not want a polybag touching your comic. In this scenario the price of an expensive 4 mil mylar is wasted.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNoNoNoNoYes
Quote:

This defeats the entire purpose of putting a comic in Mylar. If you're going to pay for Mylars you do not want a polybag touching your comic. In this scenario the price of an expensive 4 mil mylar is wasted.

Well, in my actual experience, comics stick to 4 mil mylars; ALWAYS bag and board comics in regular bag before using 4 mils, except for non-glossy comics.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well, in my actual experience, comics stick to 4 mil mylars; ALWAYS bag and board comics in regular bag before using 4 mils, except for non-glossy comics.

The reason you use Mylars is so a polybag never touches your comic. If you want to put it in a 1 mil or 2 mil mylar first and then in a 4mil that's fine. But the way you're describing is a complete waste of money and will damage your comics more/quicker than the way I describe.

NEVER BAG YOUR COMIC IN A POLYBAG BEFORE PUTTING IT IN A MYLAR!
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The reason you use Mylars is so a polybag never touches your comic. If you want to put it in a 1 mil or 2 mil mylar first and then in a 4mil that's fine. But the way you're describing is a complete waste of money and will damage your comics more/quicker than the way I describe.

NEVER BAG YOUR COMIC IN A POLYBAG BEFORE PUTTING IT IN A MYLAR!
I agree!
Post 19 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

You could stack your comics to the moon and the bottom one still wouldn't receive as much pressure as a press can give it.

Yeah, I’m going to have to disagree with you.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
Quote:
Quote:

I agree with you Joe.
Post 21 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I agree with you Joe.

I agree with Joey, too. All the way to the moon, that's a lot of pressure per square inch to put on a comic book.
Post 22 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I agree with you Joe.

I agree with Joey, too. All the way to the moon, that's a lot of pressure per square inch to put on a comic book.

It sounds STUpid in its reasoning.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
The stack wouldn’t make it anywhere near the moon. Most of the books would be in orbit.
Post 24 IP   flag post
They would be out of this world!
Post 25 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Less oxygen may slow the aging process down.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Gives a new meaning to shuttle grading ...floating discounts and definitely removes a lot of the gravity of the situation
Post 27 IP   flag post
Why so literal?
Post 28 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Ha!!!!
Post 29 IP   flag post
One of these days Alice- POW straight to the moon!
Post 30 IP   flag post
600703 37 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?