Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Jan PRIME AUCTION, MCS- ASM 129, 135, 194, 298; Batman, all high grade!10938

Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Okay! It's finally here. This Amazing Spider-Man #129 has been waiting for this auction to start for over two months now. And bidding is already up to $2025! Which hopefully bodes well. (Actually, between the time I typed that and put in the link below, it jumped again, to $2180!)

I thought the Batman #77 9.9 would be doing better, but maybe it's just a slow start. Bidding is currently $56. And the Batman #240 9.8 is a bit low, too. One of these sold at auction just in October for $420, but the bidding here is only $130 so far. Might be a steal for someone.

The first appearance of the Black Cat (ASM #194, 9.6) is currently at $182. That is a ~$600 book currently at a HUGE discount. (It will go up considerably the last few days, but probably not to GPA 12-month average of $567.)

Also, I would be remiss to not highlight the beautiful copy of Batman #428 that is signed by Mike Mignola. Love this one!

Here is the full list and current bids:
Amazing Spider-Man #129, 9.4 (1st Punisher appearance). Current bid = $2180.00
Amazing Spider-Man #135, 9.2 (2nd Punisher appearance). Current bid = $200.00
Amazing Spider-Man #194, 9.6 (1st Black Cat appearance). Current bid = $205.00
Amazing Spider-Man #298, 9.4 (1st McFarlane issue). Current bid = $51.00
Batman #240, 9.8 (!) white pages. Current bid = $160.00
Batman #357, 9.2 (1st Jason Todd and Killer Croc). Current bid = $42.00
Batman #404, 9.8 (Year One begins). Current bid = $47.00
Batman #407, 9.6 (Year One conclusion). Current bid = $6.00
Batman #427, 9.6 (A Death in the Family part 2). Current bid = $18.00
Batman #428, 9.2 Signature Series, signed by Mike Mignola (!). Current bid = $49.00
Batman #429, 9.8 (A Death in the Family part 4, Joker cover). Current bid = $42.00
Batman #77, 9.9 (!) Death of Alfred. Current bid = $56.00

Post 1 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
I'm looking at the current prices, best I can tell the truly "Prime" stuff is doing fine and the less-than prime stuff might be lagging. I'm wondering if it was wise for MCS to have so much money ending on the same night. Most people can't know how much money they can bid on one book until they win or lose another auction. I'm thinking the less-prime books would have better results if they ended after the others. They probably should have had it end over 3 nights, presumed top third first, then middle third, then final third. I may submit that suggestion for future Prime auctions.
Might be a good buying opportunity, I'm definitely going to get some bids in on the lower dollar stuff ending early.
Edit: Just noticed that they actually do have it ending over 3 nights, but used age as the criteria rather than value. That will definitely help final values in my opinion.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Edit: Just noticed that they actually do have it ending over 3 nights, but used age as the criteria rather than value. That will definitely help final values in my opinion.

Huh. I thought it ended over two days. I guess I wasn't really paying attention to that. Probably, I've never had anything modern in the quarterly auctions.

I've been working under the assumption that the big books can be a draw for more money, rather than a suck for it. Say you have 26 people bidding on an ASM #129. Only one can win it. And all the other people who DIDN'T win it might bid on their backups.

I assume a slightly lesser grade could be such a backup, but there may be a problem with that. Two #129's - say, a 9.4 and a 9.2 - start within a minute of each other, with the 9.2 following. But if the 9.4 gets more bids in the last three minutes, it could be extended past the 9.2. So that the first one out of the gate, so to speak, also stays active longer.

In other words, it would be hard for all the non-winners of the 9.4 to turn around an bid on the 9.2 if the 9.2 ends first.

My current theory is: it IS easy to transfer that burning-a-hole money to another big book, IF that second book hasn't closed yet. Say, ASM #135, or #194, after the #129's end.

So that was my plan. Cluster some books together, in both Spider-Man and Batman, and hope it's not a zero sum game. Hope, instead, that they help each other.

(Of course, I completely forgot that the modern Batman won't show up with the Bronze and Copper Age ones. But that's probably okay ... 9.9's are a category unto themselves. Hell, there are only two in the whole auction.)
Post 3 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
My current theory is: it IS easy to transfer that burning-a-hole money to another big book, IF that second book hasn't closed yet. Say, ASM #135, or #194, after the #129's end.

I think you're right in that regard. I'm thinking of the less in-demand titles, books that might have only had 4-5 bidders to begin with. If they end first they could lose bidders who have outstanding bids on other auctions.

Looks like the 3rd day is for art only, second day for post 1980 and first day pre-1980.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
well good luck to all buyers and sellers 😎
Post 5 IP   flag post
Down to the wire! There is less than an hour left on some of these. (A day left for the Copper Age ones and the Modern 9.9) Boy, that Mike Mignola #428 is a helluva deal. And Batman 240! Four 9.8's sold last year, all between $400 and $500.

Get your final bids in soon!

Here is the full list and current bids:
Ends Soon! Amazing Spider-Man #129, 9.4 (1st Punisher appearance). Current bid = $2601
Ends Soon! Amazing Spider-Man #135, 9.2 (2nd Punisher appearance). Current bid = $230
Ends Soon! Amazing Spider-Man #194, 9.6 (1st Black Cat appearance). Current bid = $375
- Amazing Spider-Man #298, 9.4 (1st McFarlane issue). Current bid = $67
Ends Soon! Batman #240, 9.8 (!) white pages. Current bid = $265
- Batman #357, 9.2 (1st Jason Todd and Killer Croc). Current bid = $76
- Batman #404, 9.8 (Year One begins). Current bid = $72
- Batman #407, 9.6 (Year One conclusion). Current bid = $23
- Batman #427, 9.6 (A Death in the Family part 2). Current bid = $49
- Batman #428, 9.2 Signature Series, signed by Mike Mignola (!). Current bid = $60
- Batman #429, 9.8 (A Death in the Family part 4, Joker cover). Current bid = $61
- Batman #77, 9.9 (!) Death of Alfred. Current bid = $76

Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
And Batman 240! Four 9.8's sold last year, all between $400 and $500.

Correction: one was just under, sold for $384. The other three sales were: $404, $433, and $499. Still a great book though.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Admit I am sitting here watching the bids climb as the clock winds on that Jack Kirby signed FF 1 and that hulk 1 @ 5.0 and thinking..manI should just buy em both right? I mean it should be easy to just come up with 20 k in a few weeks …..
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Admit I am sitting here watching the bids climb as the clock winds on that Jack Kirby signed FF 1 and that hulk 1 @ 5.0 and thinking..manI should just buy em both right? I mean it should be easy to just come up with 20 k in a few weeks …..

Sure! Just sell a dinosaur egg, right? You could replace it with a big, round rock and just tell everyone it's the egg.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Sure! Just sell a dinosaur egg, right? You could replace it with a big, round rock and just tell everyone it's the egg.

By the way, did you see that FF #2? It's advertised as a 3.5, but I think it's better than that. Maybe even a 5.0 or 5.5? I wonder what made them grade it so low. Must be a tear I can't see or something.

The FF #3 ain't bad, either.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Whoops ... both FF #2 and FF #3 just jumped up a bunch. $300 or so for #2, and $400 more for #3. I guess someone agreed with my assessment.

Current bids
FF #2 - $1625
FF #3 - $1236
Post 11 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkseid_of_town and @Tedsaid -

Looking at the scans for that Hulk #1, I don't see any way it's a 5.0. It looks more like a 3.5, maybe a 4.0, but no way, any day, does it look like a 5.0.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo

Looking at the scans for that Hulk #1, I don't see any way it's a 5.0. It looks more like a 3.5, maybe a 4.0, but no way, any day, does it look like a 5.0.
I could get to 4.0 or 4.5 with it gicing it a lucky bounce but I agree it is hard to understand the book drawing a 5.0
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo

The graded one? I don't know ... the mid grades are so hard. With that one, I could see it as a 4.0 or a 5.0. It just depends on what it feels like, how tight or loose the cover is, how fragile it feels.
Post 14 IP   flag post
and I fired my first bid for tonight....lets see how I do
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:

Was it for Hawkman #4?
Post 16 IP   flag post
hard to believe we live in a time where a hulk 1 in 5.0 supposed grade draws around 15k
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Was it for Hawkman #4?
no, I have a slabbed copy at 5.5 and the one selling tonight was too low grade for my wants...think rocket ! love the rocket
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Was it for Hawkman #4?
no, I have a slabbed copy at 5.5 and the one selling tonight was too low grade for my wants...think rocket ! love the rocket

I'm thinking now, I should have bid on that Hawkman #4. I didn't see it in time. But that is definitely better than the advertised 3.0.
Post 19 IP   flag post
anyone think that hulk will hit 17.5 K?
Post 20 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Tedsaid - I threw a couple bids on that Hawkman #4, but didn't get it. Definitely presents much better than 3.0 - they took way to much off for the loose center wraps and the crease down the back cover.

@Darkseid_of_town - It's over $16K right now.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Was it for Hawkman #4?

I'm thinking now, I should have bid on that Hawkman #4. I didn't see it in time. But that is definitely better than the advertised 3.0.
Look at the back scan Ted..Super deep sub crease in that one...breaks color top to bottom...that's what hurt it so bad in grades..if three center wraps are falling off staples, likely from that crease, its falling apart already
Post 22 IP   flag post
my first bid coming down to the three minute mark, cross your fingers
Post 23 IP   flag post
and its a go for me...love me some rocket
tough book to find especially in grade of any kind

Post 24 IP   flag post
@Darkseid_of_town - Did you win the Jetsons?
Post 25 IP   flag post
anyone got bets what book is my 2nd bid for tonight?
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
although got a few books incl one of @tedsaid - this auction is a disappointment
Post 27 IP   flag post
aww poka that JIM 150 still has legs at the bid its at , and a superb silver age book to have...first Hela cover no less, Kirby art etc
Post 28 IP   flag post
was also tossing around that JIM 102 CBCS ….its a stunning book for the bid as well, and first Sif and first Hela, but I want one I can read and see the art..not a slab....books going cheap tonight so far
Post 29 IP   flag post
Because...everyone should have two slabbed and three lose copies of Mister Miracles squeeze, Big Barda's first appearance
Post 30 IP   flag post
598060 35 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?