Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
No coincidences.

clickable text

If proven to be shot down does anyone think this will lead to war?

I don't believe there were any Americans on the plane.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I don't know what it will lead to...other than NOT war...

I wonder how Iran feels about it's response...not only was their retaliation trivial, but now the related collateral is a tragedy for many innocent victims, nearly half of them from their own country.
Post 52 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Drogio a tragedy any way you slice it...so sad.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
If there were no American casualties, @poka ‘s scenario makes a lot of sense.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Actually the world seems ready to accept the idea of an accidental shoot-down and would likely even put part of the blame on the U.S. But Iran is making the mistake of continual denial in the face of mounting evidence. This will backfire on them and what could have been a forgiven tragedy will become an unforgivable denial and cover up. I suspect Iran will wise up shortly and accept responsibility.
Post 55 IP   flag post

This is very telling

Post 56 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
After the Soviet Union shot down Korean Airlines flight 007, the Soviet leadership denied it for days until finally admitting that they did it. There was an American congressman aboard who was killed. If that didn't lead to war, this won't. Tensions will remain high, however.
Post 57 IP   flag post
@Studley_Dudley probably right...but that was during Reagan's administration...different time now may have different outcome....but you're probably right.
Post 58 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
This administration is a little less... predictable. I don't want to get into the politics, so I'll leave that part alone, but the reports you see on the legitimate news sites are probably close to what happened. My take is that due to heightened tensions, some SAM operator somewhere could have mistaken it for a different aircraft. I don't know what their combat readiness status was in Iran or anything like that, but we know Iran can't hang with the US from a military standpoint, so their best course of action would be to use influence with regional powers to rouse anti-US sentiment, which isn't very difficult in that part of the world. Their rocket attack was a face-saving measure after Soleimani's death. That should be the end of it for this round, but I have no idea how both sides want to play this game.
Post 59 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Iran has just acknowledged that they shot down the plane by accident through human error mistaken the plane for an enemy target
Post 60 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Iran has just acknowledged that they shot down the plane by accident through human error mistaken the plane for an enemy target

Good to hear. Hostilities between Iran and the US have been a backdrop for most of my life. I think I was 8 when the Embassy was stormed and hostages were taken. Sometimes it's words, sometimes it's sanctions and sometimes it's a full punch thrown. I don't get to worked up over any of it, I've been living with it for a long time. Don't get me wrong, I'm not equivocating the two governments by any means, I just don't fear things getting out of hand.
Post 61 IP   flag post
Disagree. I don’t think that shooting down a passenger plane with 176 civilian casualties is good to hear.

Hardly a “mistake”.
Post 62 IP   flag post
@CaptainCanuck I think he meant that Iran acknowledged what they did was good to hear....in that they're not denying they did it.
Post 63 IP   flag post
If there were 63 Americans killed on that flight, it would be a whole different outcome and response.
Post 64 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
If there were 63 Americans killed on that flight, it would be a whole different outcome and response.

Totally agree with u. Of course it would be a different response. Terrible what happened to you country and others that are having to go through this
Post 65 IP   flag post
Quote:

Sure, because the motivations would have been far more suspect. But I think the outcome might have gone a different way than most would expect. I think Iran would have immediately admitted responsibility, opened their doors to a full international investigation and put up a couple of scape-goat military officers to face charges.
Post 66 IP   flag post
The timing makes it hardly a mistake. Can’t kill Americans, so kill Canadians instead because it’s the next best thing and can still save face.
Post 67 IP   flag post
Quote:
The timing makes it hardly a mistake. Can’t kill Americans, so kill Canadians instead because it’s the next best thing and can still save face.

A vaild concern for sure. What is the response like in Canada? Is there a lot of skepticism towards Iran? Or is it maybe more that this is all Trumps fault no matter who launched the missile?
Post 68 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

may wish to get yourself familiar with the details. pretty much everyone onboard except the crew were Iranian - even the canadian (canadian/iranian)

in the 1988 incident it was precise opposite - US denied shooting down the plane before US finally admitted that they did - by accident -

so accidents do happen - even to the US
Post 69 IP   flag post
I haven’t watched too much television coverage, but the nightly news reports that I’ve seen have been brief biographies, memorials and interviews with the families of individual victims.

Maybe another Canadian can chime in as well.

@GAC What is the sentiment in your area?
Post 70 IP   flag post
@poka

Quote:

may wish to get yourself familiar with the details. pretty much everyone onboard except the crew were Iranian - even the canadian (canadian/iranian)

Ukrainian officials and British and Canadian media are claiming that 63 of the victims were Canadian citizens, but if you say otherwise, I will trust your reporting instead.

Post 71 IP   flag post
Quote:
@poka

Quote:

may wish to get yourself familiar with the details. pretty much everyone onboard except the crew were Iranian - even the canadian (canadian/iranian

The Canadian media is claiming that 63 of the victims were Canadian citizens, but if you say otherwise, I will trust your reporting instead.

Both of these things are probably true, Iranian decent or citizen with citizenship in Canada. Also should not assume that the Iranian government loves all Iranians, including those who have taken citizenship in Canada. I can assure you that many American-Iranians are absolute adversaries of the religious zealotry of the Iranian government.
Post 72 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I haven’t watched too much television coverage, but the nightly news reports that I’ve seen have been brief biographies, memorials and interviews with the families of individual victims.

Maybe another Canadian can chime in as well.

@GAC What is the sentiment in your area?

for us...at work we were kind of shocked, not just 63 Canadian or Can/Iran whatever but that something like 130+ had Canada as their end destination (students, or people not yet citizens etc.)

I don't know...my industry is full of people from other places who are now Canadian citizens (Italy, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, France, etc. etc. - these people could and have lived anywhere and everywhere in the world where they make wine) Everyone comes from somewhere, it it not an easy process to get your citizen ship and it is not required. If people have chosen to do it then I am proud to call them Canadian.

As far as news goes....I have taken to listening to books on CD for my commute so I don't have to listen out for what 45 has done or said or tweeted.
Post 73 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
It will not lead to war. It was an accidental firing on the plane, Iran admitted it about 8 hours ago.

Just for some perspective, these sort of "accidents" happen - and have happened to the US. In that same part of the world. On July 3, 1988 the US missile cruiser USS Vincent shot down Iran commercial flight 655, killing all 290 people aboard.

This was during the Iran/Iraq war and the US had ships in the Persian Gulf to prevent either side from trying to "expand" the war by attacking international shipping. The USS Vincent incorrectly identified the commercial flight as an Iranian fighter jet. Flight 655 was shot down while still in Iranian airspace.

What everyone should REALLY take away from this is that in war - or in this case open hostilities that fall short of declared war - it is civilians that usually suffer the greatest number of casualties.

Which is why diplomacy is nearly always the best choice.
Post 74 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverogers11
Quote:

Totally agree with u. Of course it would be a different response. Terrible what happened to you country and others that are having to go through this

I have serious doubts that it was an "Accident", but... let's just give them another pass. after all it was only 63 Canadians(this Time).... So that's ok? Seriously? Is that what we're saying here?

What about the thousands of service men and women they've already killed and maimed? They don't count either?

Let's just stick our heads in the sand and hope it goes away again.

Unfortunately, they will continue to take advantage of how naive we are and continue with their terrorist activities which will result in more killing.

Their proxies are no doubt plotting their next targets at this very moment.

Unfortunately it's not going to go away until it is confronted. At least we didn't appease them with another airdrop of $150 Billion in cash.

Does anybody actually believe that if these radicals had access to a nuclear device that they wouldn't use it?

OK back to comics. Maybe Sgt Rock can make some sense of it all.
Post 75 IP   flag post
A commercial jet leaving a commercial airport. Nearly every passenger headed to North America. In the air for 3 minutes, then shot down.

But...

It was an accident.

Iran says so.

They wouldn’t lie.

Case closed.

Phew! Glad that’s resolved.
Post 76 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverogers11
Quote:

I have serious doubts that it was an "Accident", but... let's just give them another pass. after all it was only 63 Canadians(this Time).... So that's ok? Seriously? Is that what we're saying here?

What about the thousands of service men and women they've already killed and maimed? They don't count either?

Let's just stick our heads in the sand and hope it goes away again.

Unfortunately, they will continue to take advantage of how naive we are and continue with their terrorist activities which will result in more killing.

Their proxies are no doubt plotting their next targets at this very moment.

Unfortunately it's not going to go away until it is confronted. At least we didn't appease them with another airdrop of $150 Billion in cash.

Does anybody actually believe that if these radicals had access to a nuclear device that they wouldn't use it?

OK back to comics. Maybe Sgt Rock can make some sense of it all.

The main issue that happens when bombs and missiles start flying is people start rationalizing that everything they believe and think is true and the other guy has to be of course entirely at fault. You dont get to the bottom of problems and resolve them until or unless you manage to accept that both sides have valid concerns and there is a history here, that we had a lot to do with causing.
If you look at the situation from the flip side, and go back to when the United states installed the Shah of iran, (and propped up his regime for years) whose murderous regime slaughtered thousands, with impunity, until finally fleeing the country to reside in France you might well understand some of the hate and anger directed towards America.
Does that justify blowing up buses and killing chilren or shooting down airliners...no. We did the same ourselves to an airliner a few years back in Iranian Territory no less.

Iran was caught up in the moment tossing missiles at their hated enemy, the united states, who represents so many of the very causes they most detest, including the forced apartheid status created in Israel. In the heat of the moment they saw an airplane coming in, thought it was a US response and took it out...bad snap decisions, and worse decision making, but likely all in the heat of a moment.
It isn't up to the United states to "give anyone a pass" or not...it wasn't our plane and not our people. That is the decision Canada and the others need to make for themselves and respond accordingly.

What about the thousands of service men and women they have killed or maimed already....fair enough...what about the millions we have killed with bombing, invasions, failed coups, CIA backed shadow leaders, insurgencies, and failed operations, and misguided drone strikes.. Nooone gets a pass here and everyones hands are dirty...if we weren't in invading a foreign country on false pretenses against international opinion...we wouldnt be losing our beloved troops and soldiers, but someone cried WMD and sent in the troops.

Unfortunately they will take advantage of how forgiving we are , and continue with their drone strikes in sovereign countries, their blacklist CIA assinations, their crippling sanctions over a pact we were following, that was endorsed and agreed to by the entire international community?

oh and this 150 billion dollar airdrop idiocy, which never happened. The truth is the international community unfroze that amount of Iranian assets, money that was theirs, due to their following the terms of the proposed nuclear treaty , that we then VIOLATED. There was no airdrop of cash, and that entire argument is based on innuendo at the most poor level of thinking.

https://www.factcheck.org/2019/03/obama-didnt-give-iran-150-billion-in-cash/

Does anyone believe if these radicals had access to a nuclear device they wouldnt use it? and we haven't? I seem to remember the united states bombing two large civilian centers to end another war at massive cost in life to the Japanese....so it isn't like we get a pass as somehow being more moral or less radical ourselves.

We either break the pattern of hate and bombing and killing and wars we have used as our go to method of negotiation while paying the expense in American lives or we continue with business as usual...but no, we dont get a pass either...both sides are bloody, and have hated and killed equally.

That being said, the loss of life in the plane shoot down is saddening, sickening, and does call for an international community to work together to get reparations, and every effort made to help those affected. Truly saddening, and My only hope is someday we break the cycle of evil and hate and idiocy we have invested in and all men learn to work together as one to make our world better.
Post 77 IP   flag post
Forum Prediction Poll; Does this thread get locked Before or After Towmater returns from suspension?

Vote B for Before

Vote A for After

B
Post 78 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Just the basic math for a 150 billion cash drop. Suppose it were in 100 dollar bills right..so 1 billion 500 million bills. If each weighed a quarter an ounce that would add up this way. Three hundred seventy five million ounces..or 11 thousand five hundred TONS of 100 dollar bills. Roughly 1-8 of all hundred dollar bills in circulation. Enough hundreds to fill a football stadium to the box seats but sure it happened !
Post 79 IP   flag post
📌
Post 80 IP   flag post
600461 104 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.