Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics MagazinesMemorabiliaPop CultureQuestions

Spot the Difference10852

Collector ONLINE_209 private msg quote post Address this user

Can somebody tell me the difference between the one that says CC and the one that says UK another words does that mean one is from the US and one is from the UK . and hey sorry the pictures are not the greatest PS I'm talking about in the upper left corner where the green drawn rectangles are
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector manfred_spain private msg quote post Address this user
Newsstand versus direct edition. Newsstand has the lines in the barcode area and direct has the spidey head.
Post 2 IP   flag post
@manfred_spain I know the bottom I'm talking about the upper left corner with the green rectangles
Post 3 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@ONLINE_209 - Like @manfred_spain said. They go together (the upper and lower boxes) like peanut butter and jelly. Check out copies on ebay and you will see both versions.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector KCBatmanFan private msg quote post Address this user
The CC is for Curtis Circulation, who distributed to newsstands. Since they are US only, they only have US pricing. Direct has both US and UK.
Post 5 IP   flag post
The upper corner frame accompanies the different versions accordingly. Newstand has the cc version you mentioned and just the US price. Can't recall what cc stands for though. The direct version has the diamond price layout with US and UK prices..
Post 6 IP   flag post
@esaravo so then the initials UK are irrelevant
Post 7 IP   flag post
Thanks for the feedback from everybody I appreciate the info I tried to look it up on the internet and couldn't find the answer
Post 8 IP   flag post
@esaravo @KCBatmanFan @manfred_spain thank you for your responses you learn something new everyday I did not know the two went together top and bottom I appreciate your help
Post 9 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@ONLINE_209 - Hey, no problem, glad to help. A UK Edition looks like this:

Post 10 IP   flag post
@manfred_spain by the way I want to apologize to you I didn't mean to sound like an idiot or was I trying to be rude to you in any shape or form
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONLINE_209
@manfred_spain by the way I want to apologize to you I didn't mean to sound like an idiot or was I trying to be rude to you in any shape or form

No worries. I didn't take it that way at all. Glad to help.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
I have a couple of questions then.

I understand NEWSSTAND and DIRECT EDITION but I don't know if one is more valuable then the other and was NEWSSTAND copies sold in comic book stores and DIRECT EDITION sold in 7-11's and drug stores?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Newsstand issues were sold in grocery stores and 7-11 type stores, and Direct edition books were only available initially in comic type shops.

Up until 2000 there isn't really a difference in value between newsstand and direct editions, but after 2000 the newsstand editions have a lower print run each year that goes by until they were no longer being sold. That creates some perceived extra value for those. The higher value, though, is to a smaller sub-set of collectors who collect newsstand editions.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfred_spain
Newsstand issues were sold in grocery stores and 7-11 type stores, and Direct edition books were only available initially in comic type shops.

Up until 2000 there isn't really a difference in value between newsstand and direct editions, but after 2000 the newsstand editions have a lower print run each year that goes by until they were no longer being sold. That creates some perceived extra value for those. The higher value, though, is to a smaller sub-set of collectors who collect newsstand editions.

Thank you for this. It's very helpful.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
Manfred_Spain has certainly taken us to school and much appreciated, however I would disagree with the up until 2000 statement. Having owned a LCS, I would put the drastic difference of printed copies between newsstand and direct started in the early nineties. A good example is Spiderman #1 gold. Just my 2 cents...nuff said.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@ONLINE_209 - Hey, no problem, glad to help. A UK Edition looks like this:

That's a good looking book right there. So glad you guys are beating yourselves up for newsstands, so that it leaves the pence stuff cheaper for me
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector NoNoNoNoNoYes private msg quote post Address this user
Informative read:

http://www.bipcomics.com/showcase/Direct/index.php
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Cop
Manfred_Spain has certainly taken us to school and much appreciated, however I would disagree with the up until 2000 statement. Having owned a LCS, I would put the drastic difference of printed copies between newsstand and direct started in the early nineties. A good example is Spiderman #1 gold. Just my 2 cents...nuff said.

I was under the impression that the Spidey 1 Gold newsstand edition was a Wal-Mart Exclusive. I’d heard that somewhere, anyway.
Post 19 IP   flag post
600839 19 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?