Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature VSPComics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeQuestionsSignatures

Help confirm Todd McFarlane signature10806

I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
I need help with this signature, I am trying to confirm it’s authenticity. So far I have not been able to find a similar signature on the web. It is on the interior of the comic so that helps me believe it is genuine because, who would forge a famous person’s signature and then hide it? I appreciate any help.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
I forgot to take a picture of my ASM 299 that had Todd's signature on the first page. It looked very similar to this and was VSP'd. My signature was done in the early 90s if I had to guess 1990.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like his style but doesn't look like his sig to me
Post 3 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
@Batman66, it doesn't look like his current signature for sure but I bought a Stan Lee signed book that didn't look at all like his more popular style signature, that I am convinced is his. that one was easy to confirm since I could look up archives and compare, this one not so much.

@Hcanes, That's what i'm thinking that this is his earlier style and signing on the first page is old school so it is at least a very old signature.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
@sportshort Looks very much like the sig I just had verified on an ASM 301. I say it’s legit.

Post 5 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah, maybe an early sig, I just have seen one like that. Man he's got a great signature.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@CatCovers, thanks! it sure looks like you're verified sig, I bought the book just now. I won't hold any grudges if it doesn't pass VSP, i appreciate the help.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
could you scan the back cover of the book by chance and see if there are any red webs
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
could you scan the back cover of the book by chance and see if there are any red webs
, I just bought it on ebay. Hope to have it by the first week of the new year. Once in hand I will try and remember to take a look/pic at the back of the book. When did he use these red webs, timeline? again this is an old book 1988 (and by appearance, probably and old signature)so I don't know if he was using that part of his signature at the time. I am curious to see if the red web is on the book.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
I think the red web was just for presigned copies of Spider-Man 1. Or am I wrong about that?
Post 10 IP   flag post
A conversation about it across the street someone said the Spiders web comic store in Mcfarlanes hometown did a signing for charity and if you paid x amount you were sent a pre signed wed stamped spidey 1

"Just before Spider-Man #1 came out, the Comics Buyer's Guide had an article about a fundraiser that the Spider's Web, a comic shop in Puyallup, Washington (I think that is where McFarlane lived at the time), had for the local high school. For something like $10 + shipping, they were offering autographed copies of either the regular cover or the silver cover of Spider-Man #1. As you will see in the letter below, these copies were authenticated by a red spider web stamp on the back cover. The copies pictured below are ones that I received directly from that fund raiser. You'll notice that the McFarlane signatures are strikingly familiar to the one that we all piled on and said was a fake."

So you are apparently right Catcovers
Post 11 IP   flag post
Since this book is a Hulk 340 it probably will not have one, if I am understanding the whole red web thing.
Post 12 IP   flag post
From what I was able to find no, but it couldn't hurt to at least look right…...apparently it was a thing for that one time signing
Post 13 IP   flag post
Right.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector eee91 private msg quote post Address this user
Your sig looks legit. Here're some examples of McFarlane sigs I got in 88-90, back when he would sign on the inside of the book-

Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eee91
Your sig looks legit. Here're some examples of McFarlane sigs I got in 88-90, back when he would sign on the inside of the book-

I absolutely agree with your keen eye. thanks for making me feel better about my purchase. at today's signature prices I got the book for free.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Kinsella5 private msg quote post Address this user
Late to this party but I would say the signature is legit. Todd signed my collection of his entire run on Amazing Spider-Man at the store he co-owned here locally and all of his signatures were on the front page and look very similar. Back then some creators would tend to sign on the front page. I saw him a few years ago and decide to have him sign my AS #300 again but on the cover so it's technically signed twice.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@Darkseid_of_town, I got the book and checked for the red web stamp but as we suspected it did not have it. I am looking forward to sending it in for VSP and getting it verified (fingers crossed).
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector BrashSmurf private msg quote post Address this user

received this in a lot of spawn cards i bought. Not sure if signature is real since i have never seen a card signed by Todd before

Anyone with any insight on this?
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Kinsella5 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrashSmurf
received this in a lot of spawn cards i bought. Not sure if signature is real since i have never seen a card signed by Todd before Anyone with any insight on this?

It does look like an early 90's McFarlane signature such as when he was signing the red-spider stamped issues through his store that has been discussed before. I am unsure of what those cards were, but do you know if they had randomly packed signature cards from Image creators? Is there anything on the back of the card that says "Congrats, you found a signature card" or something along those lines? It could also be something that the previous owner had Todd sign at a convention.
Post 20 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
@BrashSmurf that looks like his. He signed my Venom cards in the similar manner.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector BrashSmurf private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinsella5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrashSmurf
received this in a lot of spawn cards i bought. Not sure if signature is real since i have never seen a card signed by Todd before Anyone with any insight on this?

It does look like an early 90's McFarlane signature such as when he was signing the red-spider stamped issues through his store that has been discussed before. I am unsure of what those cards were, but do you know if they had randomly packed signature cards from Image creators? Is there anything on the back of the card that says "Congrats, you found a signature card" or something along those lines? It could also be something that the previous owner had Todd sign at a convention.

No congrats on the back.
Glad to hear it looks legit
Post 22 IP   flag post
600886 22 22
This topic is archived. Start new topic?