Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

CBCS slabs side scratches10796

Collector WalkinWillie private msg quote post Address this user
Hopefully the pic is OK but what I have noticed on a large number of my CBCS slabs (and I had these graded by CBCS) are a lot of scratches on one side of CBCS slabs like someone was trying to open it. A customer of mine on eBay alerted me to it and sure enough a bunch of my slabs have these scratches. These are located on one side and can be either the spine side or the opposite side - and you can slip your fingernail in the crack and it is open almost the length of the book. I have it opened about an 1/8" in the pic but that part is hard to see - but the scratches are not hard to see. The spine side of the slab is sealed. Again, no one but myself has owned these books.

Has anybody else experienced this? Is this normal or should CBCS weigh in on this?

Post 1 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
I believe that's where the slabs are separated from each other after they're made. Nothing to worry about.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Robert86m private msg quote post Address this user
Just where the plastic is broken out of the mold when it's made
Post 3 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
yup...they all have that.
Post 4 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
What are these marks on the sides of my slab?

(photo courtesy of forum member b00ch)

Those are the result of the manufacturing process of the cases. They are a normal part of the case and are quite common. They are not a defect and they do not harm the integrity of the case.

https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/4005/page/1/cbcs-faq/#1
Post 5 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
CGC slabs do not have this defect and you would think with todays technology that CBCS would be able to address this manufacturing problem. The marks on those slabs in the photo are just plain ugly and unprofessional looking and quite frankly unacceptable. Most of my more recent CBCS slabs have not been as extreme as some of those shown in that photo.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
I read somewhere those areas on the sides there, are for miswrap removal !
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS should have a buffer.That would fix that.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by comicsforme
CBCS should have a buffer.That would fix that.
I agree, I would definitely order the buffet!!
Post 9 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
CGC slabs do not have this defect and you would think with todays technology that CBCS would be able to address this manufacturing problem. The marks on those slabs in the photo are just plain ugly and unprofessional looking and quite frankly unacceptable. Most of my more recent CBCS slabs have not been as extreme as some of those shown in that photo.

Some of the cgc slabs have the same problem. Here are just a few that are readily available. I didn't dig through 500 slabs to find the worst ones, but I have had some that were pretty rough looking. Some were so bad that I had customers asking if the slab had been opened and then glued back together.

Post 10 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@DrWatson - Damn! Number 10 in 9.4!
Post 11 IP   flag post
@esaravo That was a hard fought book with a very interesting back story. I actually bought it once. Sold it like an idiot. Fought like hell and finally got it back. I might even have it buried with me.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@DrWatson - Love a good story. Is it a Northland and does it have white pages too? My #10 is “only” an 8.5, but it has nice white pages at least.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@WalkinWillie it's normal for CBCS slabs. I happened to buy one from you a couple weeks ago. Thanks for the fast shipping and well packaged slab! Not sure how long you've been on the forums but welcome and just a bit of advice, you'll have better luck getting more money for your CBCS slabs at fixed price since auctions typically don't do as well.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I bought this one from Willie raw and had it graded.

Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@DrWatson - Love a good story. Is it a Northland and does it have white pages too? My #10 is “only” an 8.5, but it has nice white pages at least.

It is a Northland, but it has Off-White pages according to the label.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector WalkinWillie private msg quote post Address this user
@DrWatson - Thanks for the biz and glad it graded well for you. That must have been a while back. Can't remember the last time I sold raw moderns unless they were in fairly big lots.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@WalkinWillie Late 2011 or early 2012 as it was graded 2/13/12. I didn't hold it long before I had it graded.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
...I'll take that over newton rings.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:

I bought the book from Pedigree Comics years ago when I was actively building an X-Men to Current set. I ran afoul of the IRS, owing more than I had anticipated, so I had to sell off most of the books to pay the debt. I ran a sales thread on the cgc boards and a specific board member bought it. I remember who, but it's not important. The only one I kept was #41 as it was also a Northland. That book became the seed book to my current collection. I regretted selling the #10 almost immediately and once I had righted the ship, I began asking the new owner if he would sell it back to me. He didn't have any interest in doing so.

I would periodically ask (hound) him if he would sell it back to me and I think even offered him double what he paid for it. It's been a while, so my memory is a little fuzzy. He turned me down.

Fast forward a few years and a good friend of mine, also a cgc board member, passed away from a stroke at an early age leaving behind a wife, an older daughter, a son, and a younger daughter. In one of the brightest moments ever for the cgc boards, everyone came together and raised an incredible amount of money for his wife and kids through monetary donations and items offered up for auction.

One of the more prominent auctions was held during Wizard Word Chicago, I think at Gibson's steak house, with our very own Steve Borock as the auctioneer. The owner of the X-Men donated it to the auction. Me and another good friend at the time bid on the book. My friend ended up winning the book and then gave it to me. I ended up reimbursing him an amount I don't remember with him also paying a portion of the winning bid. In the end, I got the book and I was able to help my friend's family at the same time. I still get a Christmas card from the wife with photos of the kids each year.

It isn't going anywhere again, if I can help it.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@DrWatson - That is a great story, thanks for sharing. I think my next X-Men purchase might have to be a Northland so I can join the Pedigree club.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@DrWatson that's a great story, especially the ending! Thanks for sharing that!
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
@DrWatson - That is a great story, thanks for sharing. I think my next X-Men purchase might have to be a Northland so I can join the Pedigree club.

Um...
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
@DrWatson that's a great story, especially the ending! Thanks for sharing that!

Over the years, shit happens. I fell out with my auction buddy for reasons I don't really remember at this point. I might surprise myself and apologize to him.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
I like the Northland pedigree. I have just one book and still have the original certificate for that book. Motor City comics if memory serves
Post 25 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944

Some of the cgc slabs have the same problem. Here are just a few that are readily available. I didn't dig through 500 slabs to find the worst ones, but I have had some that were pretty rough looking. Some were so bad that I had customers asking if the slab had been opened and then glued back together.

at least the cgc mold marks are smooth and fairly uniform
Post 26 IP   flag post
601333 26 26
This topic is archived. Start new topic?