Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgeGrading Help Needed

Incomplete, FINE Fantastic Four #49: Qualified Green, Blue Label?10788

Collector RLR private msg quote post Address this user
In the process of having my Fantastic Four collection evaluated, a CGC-affiliated comic book buyer found that there are two rectangles missing from the Letters Column, one per page. The comic would otherwise be graded as Fine (potentially 7.0). Since the comic is incomplete in a way that does not affect the story, would it possibly warrant a Qualified CGC Green Label with a fine rating or would it be rated a .5 no matter what? The CGC label description brings up this very issue, so I am confused as to why it would be a .5 as opposed to a Qualified 7.0.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@RLR Welcome to the forum. In regards to your question, CBCS doesn't do "qualified" grades. If you go to the CBCS main website and look at the grading guide, the MAX a book can get with panels cut out of interior pages is 1.5. For CBCS, it would be a blue label.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Sorry, I find the differences between CBCS and CBC rather confusing. I am worse than a newbie since I collected these as a gift never given and knew very little about comics when I collected them 10 years ago (though I have experience with old first edition books).

After research, I felt that it would be rated between .5 and 1.5. Painful since it is otherwise a gorgeous copy. Thanks for the input.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@RLR no worries. A lot of things in grading comics aren't cut and dried. Out of curiosity, what first edition books do you collect? I have a small collection of first editions of my favorite writers. Stephen King, Tom Clancy and David Morrell are my top three.
Post 4 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
I'd hunt around for a cover-less #49 and swap the letters page. Then resell the cover-less comic, now also with a corrupted letters page, for probably close to what I paid for it, so not a big investment. How big a difference can the bad letters page make? It's already missing the cover.

Then take my chances with the hybrid #49. The worst that could happen is I get knocked a bit for the page swap, but certainly less severe than the knock for an incomplete comic.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chester15
I'd hunt around for a cover-less #49 and swap the letters page. Then resell the cover-less comic, now also with a corrupted letters page, for probably close to what I paid for it, so not a big investment. How big a difference can the bad letters page make? It's already missing the cover.

Then take my chances with the hybrid #49. The worst that could happen is I get knocked a bit for the page swap, but certainly less severe than the knock for an incomplete comic.

I have 2 x #49’s, but wouldn’t feel right about doing that! Is that something done often? Collectors knowingly buy “hybrids”?
Post 6 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O I have many signed & unsigned first edition contemporary books like Sterling’s Diamond Age, but I really love the old ones. I have a first of Orwell’s Animal Farm, an early signed edition of Bradbury’s Illustrated Man, a signed Longfellow, a signed Anne Rice.... It is an eccentric collection, like me!
Post 7 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
Regarding the page swap, I'm so new at this forum that I shouldn't have put that out there. I probably have the veterans gasping, violating some sacred rule about page swapping that I am too naive to appreciate. I'm sure there are multiple threads in the past covering the subject.

I don't know much about how it is viewed, but it must be eligible as some type of restoration. Certainly less visually obtrusive than a color touch or tear seal. It's the actual page printed at the time, just moved to a new home. The comic is now not "original" as printed, but if you do ANYTHING to it, the same could be said. Even pressing has its critics. I'm sure someone with more experience will jump in and set all that straight. Probably before I finish typing this.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
That would not be a “hybrid” that would be a purple label “married” copy. Hybrid is a facsimile/modern reprint piece added to an otherwise original book. Usually refers to replacement covers. Purple label kills the deal for most collectors...
Post 9 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O I got the Anne Rice @ San Diego ComiCon. I also got to meet Ray Bradbury on that trip. It was a blast! I don’t collect comics for myself, but I am a (bad) artist and loved hanging out with those guys. I love comic art and have the first comics with cover art by Jake Murray, the grandson of one of my father’s HS classmates. If you don’t know his work, I recommend you check him out. Incredible, realist oils. He is also a really nice guy! http://jakemurraystudio.com/
Post 10 IP   flag post
600734 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?