CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Weekly Cover Contest Discussion Thread10782

If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
I answered your question. I am not a moderator.

No, Dr Watson just plays a moderator on TV.

And quite well, actually.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
@martymann nice one 👍
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

That's a direct answer.

For clarification, is this the thread we now state that we have some sort of objection to the weekly cover contest? I ask as I am unclear if that is allowed. All the vanished posts from the Christmas contest were about what was brought up. So, is it OK or not OK?

(Nope, I wasn't involved in any of the posts that got vanished).
Post 28 IP   flag post
After discussing it with Jesse, there was nothing inherently wrong with the what was posted in the Cover Contest thread. He felt that it was extraneous banter that was taking away from the spirit of contest and the idea of the thread in general. The thread had become increasingly muddled with conversation that had nothing really to do with the objective of the thread. There were a couple of other complaints about the direction the thread was taking as well.

The Discussion thread can be used for anything that anyone wants to discuss. That's what it's for. We had a similar thread in the Selling Forum on the cgc boards. Instead of banter disrupting a sales thread, it was conducted in the Sales Threads Discussion thread. I'm not in any position of authority. I had an idea, ran it by Jesse, and here we are. If anyone has a better idea, PM your Moderator of choice.
Post 29 IP   flag post
The reason I posted what I posted was....

"Do not question moderators or a moderator's actions in the open forum."

"Do not question a forum moderator’s decision in public. This includes a user changing your avatar in retaliation for an action taken by a moderator."

Hard to question things when one isn't sure why moderation took place. Post got vanished and were not moved to this thread. Generally, that means that the posts in question were in violation of some rule. If tthey weren't bad then why not migrate them here and continue whatever discussion was taking place? Thanks for the clarification that it wasn't due to moderation for "rules" being broken.

I find it interesting that this thread gets started for what Jesse_O stated was OK not too long ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Off topic banter" only becomes a problem when people start to take things personally and get worked up. As long as everything is discussed civilly, off topic banter is allowed to an extent. When it gets past the "beating a dead horse" level and goes into the "making glue" stage, we might step in to lock it as nothing useful can come from it.

As Hulk might say, "Me confused".
Post 30 IP   flag post

Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
The reason I posted what I posted was....

"Do not question moderators or a moderator's actions in the open forum."

"Do not question a forum moderator’s decision in public. This includes a user changing your avatar in retaliation for an action taken by a moderator."

Post got vanished and were not moved to this thread. Generally, that means that the posts in question were in violation of some rule. I find it interesting that this thread gets started for what Jesse_O stated was OK not too long ago...

Quote:
Off topic banter" only becomes a problem when people start to take things personally and get worked up. As long as everything is discussed civilly, off topic banter is allowed to an extent. When it gets past the "beating a dead horse" level and goes into the "making glue" stage, we might step in to lock it as nothing useful can come from it.

There was no questioning of my actions. DrWatson just started a thread where all the cross talk could happen for the contest. Had I known it would become an issue, I would have started it.
Post 31 IP   flag post
@Towmater you are really splitting hairs. If you can't discern the difference, I'm not sure what to say.
Post 32 IP   flag post
I'm not questioning your actions nor is it an issue. I am confused. I guess, off topic banter isn't "OK" in the contest thread, but OK per your post in other thread or am I missing something?
Post 33 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O I have never seen the Moderators move posts from one thread to another. Can you all do that?
Post 34 IP   flag post
If nothing else you can copy a quote and move it.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Quote:
I'm not questioning your actions nor is it an issue. I am confused. I guess, off topic banter isn't "OK" in the contest thread, but OK per your post in other thread or am I missing something?

I'm not going to be drawn into this game. I go by the spirit of the rules, not the letter of the law.

If what you said works for you, then just go with it and you'll be fine.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Jesse_O I have never seen the Moderators move posts from one thread to another. Can you all do that?

Quote:
If nothing else you can copy a quote and move it.

In theory, yes. In reality, don't hold your breath.
Post 37 IP   flag post
You can always PM me to discuss. Its an open door.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector NoNoNoNoNoYes private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not going to be drawn into this game. I go by the spirit of the rules, not the letter of the law.

Shouldn't moderators go by the letter of the law?
Post 39 IP   flag post
@NoNoNoNoNoYes that's how you get power hungry moderators. If everything is black and white, you miss all the pretty colors! LOL But seriously, a good moderator should be able to use discernment in all issues. Some rules are of greater importance than others. If I viewed all the rules with equal value, the moderation and suspension thread would be more active. Moderation is a good thing in a moderator.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@NoNoNoNoNoYes that's how you get power hungry moderators. If everything is black and white, you miss all the pretty colors! LOL But seriously, a good moderator should be able to use discernment in all issues. Some rules are of greater importance than others. If I viewed all the rules with equal value, the moderation and suspension thread would be more active. Moderation is a good thing in a moderator.

Well said.

There is always a rule that governs all other rules: Always remember that the members are (generally) customers of CBCS and the forum exists to keep them engaged by educating and entertaining. It would be counter-productive to create a forum that pisses off your customers or bores them so much that they don't return.

If I were a moderator I would consider this thought also: the threads that survive the first day of existence tend to become the most interesting and engaging. Controvery and differences of opinion also tend to be engaging. A bump is a bump, regardless how off-topic. I would only delete if absolutely necessary.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I was warned before coming here that the Moderators were strict and to beware, but...I have never had any issues, everyone seems pretty laid back & cool. But I agree when you say "Moderation is a good thing in a moderator". I swear that on another site (to remain nameless) it seemed everything I posted one of the Mods would step in and warn me stating that I was being offensive, abusive, etc. I liked to joke around, but humor didn't seem to cut it when some Mods were anal retentive and just on a power trip! I personally have yet to witness any Mod abuse here (fingers crossed).
Post 42 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brysb

I was warned before coming here that the Moderators were strict and to beware, but...I have never had any issues, everyone seems pretty laid back & cool. But I agree when you say "Moderation is a good thing in a moderator". I swear that on another site (to remain nameless) it seemed everything I posted one of the Mods would step in and warn me stating that I was being offensive, abusive, etc. I liked to joke around, but humor didn't seem to cut it when some Mods were anal retentive and just on a power trip! I personally have yet to witness any Mod abuse here (fingers crossed).

I started posting on the other main board. Never had an issue. I think that a posters issues start when a moderator takes a dislike to that poster. From that point on, the moderation becomes very tilted. You can see when a poster is being treated unfairly by moderation.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

I started posting on the other main board. Never had an issue. I think that a posters issues start when a moderator takes a dislike to that poster. From that point on, the moderation becomes very tilted. You can see when a poster is being treated unfairly by moderation.

In my experience, there are some people who like to be "controversial," when in reality they are just trolling or being rude.

My general rule of thumb is that if you wouldn't say it to another person in person, then don't say it.

I've found the rules here to be pretty strict, but I also see why. Too many other boards devolve in arguments and fights over the slightest thing. Trolls are in abundance.

That doesn't happen here, and I for one, am in favor of it.

We are all comic collectors, so relating to one another shouldn't be that difficult.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Quote:
I liked to joke around, but humor didn't seem to cut it when some Mods were anal retentive and just on a power trip! I personally have yet to witness any Mod abuse here (fingers crossed).

I am a smart ass who delivers many a post with a healthy dose of sarcasm and a dry sense of humor. I stay in trouble.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I answered your question. I am not a moderator.

And quite well, actually.

There's another fella on this forum wants desperately to play Dr. Who on TV. Maybe you could give give him some tips.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Everyone has to hone their own craft.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

Post 48 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymann
In looking back I'm surprised that I won 4 times.

Marty

Cause you have the forum monopoly on "old and cool"
Post 49 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymann
In looking back I'm surprised that I won 4 times.

Marty

Cause you have the forum monopoly on "old and cool"

Thank you!...and Merry Christmas.

Marty
Post 50 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
I need to remember to make these comments here.

But I think for this thread to work, it needs to be stickied to page 1, or pinned, or whatever. It was on page 2.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
I think this thread is needed again this week ….it was made last week apparently to lower the amount of clutter and distraction within the thread itself, and the very next week, the thread is again cluttered with reposts, that will make voting confusing if you are not super careful
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
That and the cartoons are creating a lot of memories.

Fun stuff. I'll have to locate my cover. One of them was taken, already.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Johnny, where are your buccaneers?
Johnny: Under my buccan hat.
Gotlift private msg quote post Address this user
Back when I was I kid. (Grandkids say I knew
🎼Ally ooop🎼) now that dates me. We had a lot of so called serial shows. Lone Ranger, whip lash la’rue, Wild Bill Hickock, Flash Gordon, Jim Bowie, Rocketman, Superman & on & on. For 5 cents on a Saturday afternoon at the movie house or even better for 10 cents at the local grade school and you got a bag of popcorn and a couple pieces of penny candy.
🎼Those were the days🎼
Post 54 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
I think this forum needs a 'Sales Discussion' thread too (capable of having one? Different matter). That locked thread (I never looked in it until it was locked) was an eye opener and very informative, but as useful as that info is, it wasn't the place for the keyword discussion.

Q: How is a person here creating a thread hoping to find specific information, but instead getting responses completely unrelated to his question (in other words; thread crapping, derailing- something apparently frowned upon here) ANY DIFFERENT than a person hoping to find specific comics, but instead getting results completely unrelated to his search inquiry?

A: Money.

Happy New Year, Collectors Be careful when surfing
Post 55 IP   flag post
601283 999 30