Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Weekly Cover Contest Discussion Thread10782

If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Instead of cluttering up the actual contest thread with cross talk, witty banter, or drama, let's post the discussion in a separate thread.

This way all the cover images will be easy to locate and easier to compare to one another when deciding which one to vote for and how many points to give. Also, perhaps it will help curtail the early voting which seems to be occurring with more regularity.

Let's do our best to keep the Cover Contest thread on track and enjoyable instead of a chore and a pain the ass that requires Moderator intervention.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
I guess I missed some exciting back and forth interactions that disappeared.
Post 2 IP   flag post
More extraneous than exciting.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Johnny, where are your buccaneers?
Johnny: Under my buccan hat.
Gotlift private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks
Post 4 IP   flag post
@DrWatson Noting your post, does it mean that you are a mod? If so, how come your profile pic doesn't say moderator? Your post just makes it seem that you are and "vanished" whatever posts needed to "vanish".
Post 5 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Towmater I think he's trying to organize the threads. The contest thread is for entries and votes and this thread can be for discussions about the contest. Its tidier this way don't you think?
Post 6 IP   flag post
@GAC I've no idea. If the posts that got vanished should be in another thread then why didn't they get moved there to start the new thread? Also, why would DrWatson be starting a thread if the mods (or him if he is one) wanted the "vanished" posts to disappear? Kind of confusing. Thus, my post.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I spoke with Jesse via PM. He did the moderating and I started the discussion thread. I am not the moderator you are looking for.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@Towmater I think he's trying to organize the threads. The contest thread is for entries and votes and this thread can be for discussions about the contest. Its tidier this way don't you think?

This.

I have missed covers I would have voted for in the past as I overlooked them amongst all the other posts.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
I spoke with Jesse via PM. He did the moderating and I started the discussion thread. I am not the moderator you are looking for.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

This.

I have missed covers I would have voted for in the past as I overlooked them amongst all the other posts.

Not looking for a mod. I asked if you were one. In your 2 posts you still didn't answer my question. You either are a mod or you aren't one.

Oh, and thanks for sharing that Jesse is back doing moderation duties.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Chips ahoy!!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user

Post 12 IP   flag post
I answered your question. I am not a moderator.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:

I appreciate the answer to the question.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
So.....what does Christmas mean to you?

When I was a kid my family, probably one of the most devoutly Protestant Christian families in the community, did not celebrate Christmas. The other kids, who I assumed were not the least bit religious,for them Christmas was a huge deal. As a kid it was awkward and uncomfortable, now I realize how rich and comical the irony was in the situation.
Post 15 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Dr Watson does have a point. I could be wrong but it seems easier to get votes if you post one of the first few covers. Ending up posting on page two or three in the thread sometimes gets you lost in the shuffle.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Dr Watson does have a point. I could be wrong but it seems easier to get votes if you post one of the first few covers. Ending up posting on page two or three in the thread sometimes gets you lost in the shuffle.

The last contest was won by a cover on the second page. Also, I always thought you should try to be the post at the end of a page. That way you see it on that page and when it is highlighted in blue on the next page. It gets posted on 2 different pages for double the viewing pleasure. The other thing that stands out is that most of the voting goes for older covers. Newer comic covers generally don't get many votes.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
And can we have new themes. Be great if the winners have a look at previously used themes and go for one that hasn't been used.
My 2c đź‘Ť

The contest for me is being exposed to covers I may not have seen before or only glanced at and never really looked at before.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
I tend to “like” the older covers most of the time, but not always. I would also prefer to vote for a cover that is a scan or picture of a book owned by the person posting it (I especially dislike stock images with the company’s name shown). I have tried to submit a cover just about every week since the contest started, and think I have only used an image from the web once or twice. Some really great covers have been posted multiple times now, so I may not vote for a cover that I’ve seen too much. Just my two cents.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
I tend to “like” the older covers most of the time, but not always.

I think most of us respond more favorably to seeing older stuff that maybe we weren't even aware of before the contest. That's what makes it an interesting thread to me, not the common covers that I've seen many times.

The few things I've posted were books that I own, but the images were taken from the web, which was eaier than finding the books and scanning them. They never came out well though.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller

I think most of us respond more favorably to seeing older stuff that maybe we weren't even aware of before the contest. That's what makes it an interesting thread to me, not the common covers that I've seen many times.

I'd be the opposite as I don't read modern comics. For the most part, I'm not exposed to newer comics. I can't say I'd be aware of a large amount of modern artist and what they are doing covers on. Generally speaking, my collection stops with books published in the early to mid 1990's. (Yes, I own books published later but the number after that time becomes less and less).
Post 21 IP   flag post
Johnny, where are your buccaneers?
Johnny: Under my buccan hat.
Gotlift private msg quote post Address this user
ensarvo. Lol. 🤦‍♂️

At my age anything that’s interested will do
Otherwise cash works.🙀. 🖖

Post 22 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
I tend to “like” the older covers most of the time, but not always.

The few things I've posted were books that I own, but the images were taken from the web, which was eaier than finding the books and scanning them. They never came out well though.

There is a definite cool factor.

Some of the books with older covers are extremely rare or are just notorious (SOTI books for example).
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:

No, Dr Watson just plays a moderator on TV.
Post 24 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
In looking back I'm surprised that I won 4 times.

Marty
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

And quite well, actually.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
@martymann nice one đź‘Ť
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:

That's a direct answer.

For clarification, is this the thread we now state that we have some sort of objection to the weekly cover contest? I ask as I am unclear if that is allowed. All the vanished posts from the Christmas contest were about what was brought up. So, is it OK or not OK?

(Nope, I wasn't involved in any of the posts that got vanished).
Post 28 IP   flag post
After discussing it with Jesse, there was nothing inherently wrong with the what was posted in the Cover Contest thread. He felt that it was extraneous banter that was taking away from the spirit of contest and the idea of the thread in general. The thread had become increasingly muddled with conversation that had nothing really to do with the objective of the thread. There were a couple of other complaints about the direction the thread was taking as well.

The Discussion thread can be used for anything that anyone wants to discuss. That's what it's for. We had a similar thread in the Selling Forum on the cgc boards. Instead of banter disrupting a sales thread, it was conducted in the Sales Threads Discussion thread. I'm not in any position of authority. I had an idea, ran it by Jesse, and here we are. If anyone has a better idea, PM your Moderator of choice.
Post 29 IP   flag post
The reason I posted what I posted was....

"Do not question moderators or a moderator's actions in the open forum."

"Do not question a forum moderator’s decision in public. This includes a user changing your avatar in retaliation for an action taken by a moderator."

Hard to question things when one isn't sure why moderation took place. Post got vanished and were not moved to this thread. Generally, that means that the posts in question were in violation of some rule. If tthey weren't bad then why not migrate them here and continue whatever discussion was taking place? Thanks for the clarification that it wasn't due to moderation for "rules" being broken.

I find it interesting that this thread gets started for what Jesse_O stated was OK not too long ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Off topic banter" only becomes a problem when people start to take things personally and get worked up. As long as everything is discussed civilly, off topic banter is allowed to an extent. When it gets past the "beating a dead horse" level and goes into the "making glue" stage, we might step in to lock it as nothing useful can come from it.

As Hulk might say, "Me confused".
Post 30 IP   flag post
601195 999 30