Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help Needed

Grading Help TTA 2710751

Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
I know i want to cpr and sub this book...but im wondering what tier i need to use based on best guess of grade...mid grade this book is still 1000s...i told the lady i got all these from and she told me i could keep it... I'm still freaking out...so a little grading help. I can post some more pics later too

Staples are still attached...also...what happens when yhis is cleaned and pressed...isnt there risk of cover coming off?
Post 1 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
A good presser wouldn’t try to press it if he/she felt it would detach the cover. For submitting purposes I would call it a 2.0/2.5 and value it at around $1000 based on recent sales.
Post 2 IP   flag post
@esaravo Thanks Ed!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Highest I see it going is 3.0 - 3.5 with some luck and a good cleaning. Even at 3.0 to 3.5 its going to be around 1800...and that's being really optimistic. 2.5 might be as high as it goes
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@Enelson is the paper starting to be a bit fragile? if so not much a presser would want to do.

nice book. hoping to get one one day
Post 5 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Enelson Great find!! the spine does seem delicate. Is the spine perforated at all?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quit playin with it before you break it! I would have it pre-screened for sure since this is one of those books where every half point increase pays for a weekend vacation. But get it in bags, board, mylars, toploaders, etc right away. Can't let that cover come lose or it's 2.0 max.

Maybe you got this windfall because you were due for something cool to come your way. I suspect you are enjoying it more than if you had been handed the equivalent value in cash. Rich people may seem to always get what they want, but us common folk, we have the capacity to truly enjoy the little windfalls that come our way.
Post 7 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Enelson Here is the GoCollect data on your book in a 2.5 grade.

Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@Enelson Here is the GoCollect data on your book in a 2.5 grade.

Oh, wow. Ok...yeah, maybe I'll do the pre screen and grade it that way...thinking of subbing the showcase 30 and brave and bold 34 too
Post 9 IP   flag post
@Enelson I'll look them up for you....what grades do you want me to look up?
Post 10 IP   flag post
@gac... brave and bold 34 and showcase 30...I also have a ton of jimmy olsen, superboy, worlds finest and lois lane to go through...

I'm thinking 2ish? I don't know, the top right of front cover is just folded over

...and this one that the cover is detached

So 1.0-2.0 probably
Post 11 IP   flag post
Working on a run of Lois lane myself, as well as buying up Kirby Olsen books, in case yours fit that time period
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Seems like half this box you got was key issues!
Post 13 IP   flag post
@Enelson Brave and Bold 34 2.0

Post 14 IP   flag post
@Enelson Showcase 30 2.0

Post 15 IP   flag post
Thanks @gac
Post 16 IP   flag post
@Enelson anytime!
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector KYDU private msg quote post Address this user
Hi, Congratulations on your windfall, I hope you keep it for yourself as it makes for a great way to get a book like that. I'm interested if you don't want to keep it. I'm looking for low grades of most of the silver age keys. I apologize if I broke any forum rules, not sure if I can do this. Thanks!
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
You might get a 3 on ant man, old enough to be a kind grade, pages do not seem dark. 2 on hawk man, 2.5 aqua man. I grade all keys, especially anything fragile.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
A good presser wouldn’t try to press it if he/she felt it would detach the cover. For submitting purposes I would call it a 2.0/2.5 and value it at around $1000 based on recent sales.
I like Ed's recommendation. The Tales to Astonish 27 will look really nice in a slab. It looks like it will present well.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@Enelson Brave and Bold 34 2.0

Enelseon be very careful on this data to notice that none of the sales examples provided are within the last year and the pricing is likely to be more dated for this book, you might also want to second check it on ebay finished or MCS current listings.
GPA also lists the last sale of the book as December 2018 as well, for what its worth at 175.
In this case you would be well served to check more recent sales,
For instance MCS has a copy at 2.5 that while not a finished sale, is priced at 395 ...It doesn't seem to sell much at this grade, sadly and makes it hard to document

Ditto for the showcase as well, older sales data that shows nothing recent from GPA for instance since June of 2018 and the other as well. On MCS they show a Showcase 30 in 2.0 for 399, while a 2.5 is listed right at 500....again those aren't sales, but asking prices but MCS has 13 copies of this book offered right now and you can use them to rather well triangulate where your copy fits ….
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enelson
Thanks @gac

No problem at all, remember that asking prices are meaningless. It's actual sales figures that matter but pay attention to the sales date when determining your sales price. Good luck man!! If you need any more sales data let me know. 🍻
Post 22 IP   flag post
Or better yet find the point of traction between the two ...the point where the book sells, vs the point where it sits, and doesn't move. From that standpoint asking prices are priceless, because you can see where the book is, if its not sellin and where it was last time it sold....then depending how fast and direct you wish to sell you can price accordingly. If you aren't conducting a fire sale, there is nothing wrong with pricing at the general accepted asking price and working down...rather then starting way below and selling at a reduced price because you relied on year old sales data, or did not even check to see what asking prices are....
Post 23 IP   flag post
Lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post 24 IP   flag post
@Darkseid_of_town, @Enelson, Well, as fate would have it, I just happen to momentarily be the industries foremost leading expert on this exact subject. I say momentary because just this morning my Showcase 30 CBCS raw grade 2.0 with detached cover sold on Ebay. Probably as close a match as you will find for this book. Originally priced at $295, I tried various discounts before discounting 40% and after almost 2 weeks it sold at $165 and I'm very happy to have turned it into cash, even at that price.
Post 25 IP   flag post
@EbaySeller very cool!!! Only $10 off the last recorded sale on GoCollect. Nice job man!!!
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@EbaySeller very cool!!! Only $10 off the last recorded sale on GoCollect. Nice job man!!!

Thanks, sometimes I need to compensate for all the books that I buy from you and the other boardies.
Post 27 IP   flag post
@EbaySeller I hear you!! and using the right data to make sure your stuff moves as well.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Thanks for everyone's help...anyone wanna take a guess on this one

1.0? Its complete, but stained, ripped, etc
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
If the cover is attached, maybe 1.5.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601431 38 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?