Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

New to your collection #710736

Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
@poka

Nice grab! I've been trying to get an Avengers 8 in decent condition, and haven't found the one I want, yet.

Wonderful books!
Post 76 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
@poka

Nice grab! I've been trying to get an Avengers 8 in decent condition, and haven't found the one I want, yet.

Wonderful books!

Thanks. Bought mine raw and had it slab
Post 77 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepItClunky

Congrats! fwiw, both my raw copies have the same miswrap- Seems common with the issue.
Imagine the premium a perfect wrap would command

Now who on earth would want a perfect wrap on their book?

Especially since, "Most wouldn't even consider this a miswrap" (Rolls Eyes)
Post 78 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRedOne1944 not everyone cares about perfect wraps. just saying 🤫🎅🏻
Post 79 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka

@BigRedOne1944 not everyone cares about perfect wraps. just saying 🤫

Count me among those who could not give a shit about arbitrary qualifications imposed above and beyond industry grading standards. Poor newbies coming into the industry. Who knew it wasn't good enough to get a key or a high grade. Now you need also search for "The perfect wrap". Materialist Bourgeois Elitists, we are the Proletariat and we say "nay" to your perfect wrap conspiracy.
Post 80 IP   flag post

Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
The reason mis wrap books grade high is because before the 3rd party grading. They were the last chicken on the shelf. A lot of collectors would never buy them. So maybe they were not heavily traded and we're kept in good condition because of this. Anyhow I have books with a mis wrap and it don't faze me. To each their own. That's what makes collecting fun. There's always something for everyone 👍

And I think I must be in the minority here that doesn't sell books.
Sold books 7 years ago and I can never get them back. So no selling for me.
Anyway Im sure no one wants my drek.😛

Collect what you like. And you'll always have fun 😀
Post 81 IP   flag post
Collector danberry75 private msg quote post Address this user
Just got this back today after submitting it at SDCC. I've had the issue since I got it way back when, but forgot I had it until a few months before SDCC. Now I just need to get it cracked open for a Quesada auto.

Post 82 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
I actually got these a month or two ago but I just haven't gotten around to posting them yet. I'm REALLY stoked about these.

Years ago, I began looking for copies of the old Dell "Mighty Heroes" comics in high grade. These were released in 1967

Gather around for an Uncle Dave story, kids...

For those who don't know, the Mighty Heroes were created by Ralph Bakshi. He was well known as a cutting edge animator in the 1970s, most famous for "Fritz the Cat," the first animated feature to get an X rating, and a beautiful 1978 "Lord of the Rings" animated feature. I grew up loving the Mighty Heroes cartoons. To be honest, the cartoons were extremely formulaic, but I loved them - and still do love them - nonetheless.

Years ago, I began looking for the 1967 Dell Comics "Mighty Heroes" series in high grade. There were only four issues released, so I figured that they shouldn't be too hard to find. I was wrong. Turns out that while these issues do pop up on eBay and dealer websites from time to time, they're usually in a lower grade. There just don't appear to be a large number of these issues out there, maybe because of the almost non-existent demand over the years, and there certainly aren't many slabbed copies. For example, only 9 graded copies of issue #1 appear on the CGC census with the highest grade being a 9.4.

Over the years, I have picked up a few copies but none graded any higher than around an 8.0 or so. That was fine, but I always hoped to find higher grade copies.

Fast forward to a couple of months ago. ComicLink was having one of their many auctions and I was relaxing one evening browsing through the comics being auctioned (not really looking for anything in particular) when I saw these: all four issues in high grade and, even cooler, all part of the same (Fantuccio) pedigree. I just couldn't pass these up... and I didn't. And I'm very happy that I didn't.

Sorry for dragging this out so long. I'm just still super pumped about getting these and I thought I'd share. Hopefully, my story wasn't too boring for anyone having read this far. 😊

Post 83 IP   flag post
@DWeeB1967 I loved that show!

I had no idea they made comics of those characters!
Post 84 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@DWeeB1967 Incredible books!!!!!!
Post 85 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@DWeeB1967 - Those are awesome, David! And they bring back some pleasant memories of years long past.
Post 86 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks, @Jabberwookie, @GAC and @esaravo.

I still watch the YouTube videos of the various episodes from time to time (although the quality is usually horrible). I've even taught my kids about the Mighty Heroes. My 10-year-old son even has an old, beat up Mighty Heroes t-shirt. 😊

I believe that Ralph Bakshi is still with us (but getting way up there). He's definitely an autograph that I'd get if I ever get the chance (and I'm not a sig collector) . But probably on one of my other lower-grade issues - not these. 😊
Post 87 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
The Mighty Heroes was one of my top Saturday morning cartoons back in the day.
Post 88 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Saturday Morning Cartoons...such beautiful innocent memories of wonderful times!!
Post 89 IP   flag post
Yea, @GAC, I tell my kids all the time that they don't know what they missed... waking up early Saturday morning, pouring a bowl of whatever junky, sugary, delicious cereal was in the pantry and watching some great cartoons. 😊
Post 90 IP   flag post
@DWeeB1967 So true!! Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends and the Hulk hour was always my favourite. But there were so many other good ones too!!!
Post 91 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@DWeeB1967 So true!! Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends and the Hulk hour was always my favourite. But there were so many other good ones too!!!

That was a great show at the time! I was shocked to see so many other heroes on tv.

I liked the old FF cartoon, too. Not the herbie one, but the Hanna Barbara. That was a pretty tight cartoon!
Post 92 IP   flag post
@Jabberwookie Absolutely!! loved that one too!!
Post 93 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
My parents always made themselves available when it was time for Bugs Bunny and Road Runner... along with biscuits and gravy, and a whole lotta bacon.
Post 94 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross
And I think I must be in the minority here that doesn't sell books.
Sold books 7 years ago and I can never get them back. So no selling for me.

Same here. If I had to sell comics in order to fund my PC, I doubt I'd enjoy the hobby as much.

Collect what you like. And you'll always have fun 😀

Always this. I'll take a perfectly wrapped 9.6 over a miswrapped 9.8 every single day if they're out there, and sometimes save a couple hundred doing it.
Post 95 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Do you remember:

Black & White TV’s
TV’s with tubes that had to warm up (and be replaced frequently)
Only one TV in the house
No remote controls
Rabbit Ears (antenna)
VHF and UHF
Test Patterns
That little white spot on the tube that took forever to disappear when you turned off the TV

And if you got up too early on Saturday, you had to wait for a farming show to end before the cartoons started.
Post 96 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Sniped this immediately on Ebay earlier this year.
I haven't submitted yet, but with a press I do hope it comes back a 9 point something.

Picked up #2 and #3 in comparable condition. Still searching for a high grade #4 (raw).

Post 97 IP   flag post
@esaravo Yes, yes, yes and yes! Jeez..a ton of memories just rushed back. TVs that had legs or was a big piece of wooden furniture.
Post 98 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Do you remember:

Black & White TV’s
Only one TV in the house
No remote controls
Rabbit Ears (antenna)
VHF and UHF
Test Patterns
That little white spot on the tube that took forever to disappear when you turned off the TV

And if you got up too early on Saturday, you had to wait for a farming show to end before the cartoons started.

Post 99 IP   flag post
Collector Duece411 private msg quote post Address this user
Just bought this guess there in the works of making a She Hulk movie as well? What you guys think? If she does she join Fantastic Four?
Post 100 IP   flag post
@Pre_Coder - You really got up early! You probably remember at the end of the day (if your parents let you stay up late enough) stations signing off for the night with a flag flapping in the wind and the Star Spangled Banner.
Post 101 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Do you remember:

Black & White TV’s
Only one TV in the house
No remote controls
Rabbit Ears (antenna)
VHF and UHF
Test Patterns

Quote:
Do you remember:

Black & White TV’s
Only one TV in the house
No remote controls
Rabbit Ears (antenna)
VHF and UHF
Test Patterns

Rabbit ears with foil shapes in all directions !
Post 102 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Pre_Coder - You really got up early! You probably remember at the end of the day (if your parents let you stay up late enough) stations signing off for the night with a flag flapping in the wind and the Star Spangled Banner.

And the fighter pilot cruising in the upper stratosphere... and touch the face of God.
Post 103 IP   flag post
@esaravo Yes sir, Ed. Not to mention staying up late enough to hear "The Star-Spangled Banner" right before that test pattern appeared. If I could stay awake that late, that is. 😆
Post 104 IP   flag post
Quote:

Hilarious! I didn't see this post until after the one I just posted. 😆
Post 105 IP   flag post
600667 999 30