Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

New to your collection #710736

I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
My appetite for high grade comics led me to taking a chance on possibly upgrading a few of my Starslayer books featuring the first appearances of my favorite character Grim Jack. Im looking for 9.4 NM or better books.

Ive had decent success with Mycomicshop in the past so I took a chance on these "Near Mint" books. I don't like buying books without seeing a image(mainly to see if they are mis-wraps). I thought what the hell they were cheap emough.

Bingo! A beautiful book that met even my strict guidelines! A solid 9.4 Keeper in my book!

well for every ying there's a yang! Was highly disappointed in this book. Its a nice book, but nowhere near NM and certainly not up to the standard Im used to seeing from MCS. Wear and bends along both the upper and lower right side corners and edges have me placing the book in the 8.5 - 9.0 range. I'll need to look for another.

Ok! Now we are back on the right track! Super clean sharp book and another 9.4 NM keeper

This book they listed as VFN. While it didn't reach the 9.4 Threshold, it certainly pulls a 9.2 NM-

Well 2 out of 4 ain't too bad and none of them were mis-wraps. While #14 still remains on my list it was an overall win for me on the books.
Post 726 IP   flag post
Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
Oh, this old thang...

...and I had every intention of keeping this, but theres been a complication, so it will be for sale in my "silver age" thread
Post 727 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user

just arrived
Post 728 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user

Looks like Marvel was all about the hobby in 1982.
Post 729 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user

Post 730 IP   flag post

Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user

Snagged for $33 shipped. Basically the cost of pressing and slabbing. Can’t beat that!
Post 731 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Drogio great deal and great cover!! Nice!!
Post 732 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio

Snagged for $33 shipped. Basically the cost of pressing and slabbing. Can’t beat that!

Unfortunately a mis-weap
Post 733 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte

Very sexy copy. Dare I say, simply ravishing.

Post 734 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
The good old days - Ravishing Rick Rude and Bobby the Brain Heenan! Unfortunately, both are no longer with us.
Post 735 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
Just picked these up at my local Walmart.
Feb 15

Adam Strange !

Post 736 IP   flag post
Collector GeeWiz private msg quote post Address this user

Post 737 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Found some nice deals at the North Texas con yesterday. I could have done a lot more damage, but sadly had to keep myself on budget.

A Subby and a Spidey

Filling a gap in both ToS and TTA:

Some Cat covers I needed:

Deciding back at the end of the run of the first series to collect every cover and every printing of New Mutants is starting to bite me.

Now, the good stuff:

The better stuff:

The best stuff. It's as pretty as it looks:

Post 738 IP   flag post
Superb looking books Cat!

The ASM #101 appears to be OUTSTANDING! (Im jelly!)

Congratulations on the fine looking books!
Post 739 IP   flag post
Collector bige31 private msg quote post Address this user
Pick ups from north Texas comic show.

1st spellbinder signed by Joe!

1st magik

2nd appearance of Zatanna I believe
Post 740 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Technically Zatanna's third appearance, but it was done rather ...involved. You have to know the story to get it, but she explains it herself in Justice League of America #51
Most people still believe Atom 19 was her second appearance

Let me see if I can somewhat explain, but like I said its a mess

Her first appearance was November 1964 in Hawkman 4 as we all know...
In Detective Comics 336 February 1965, Batman is forced to deal with a witch who is never named , nor does she have the same costume as Zatanna.

In Atom 19 , July of 1965 Atom helps Zatanna

In Justice League of America 51 , February 1967, she tells Batman this is the 2nd time they have met. Batman argues that isn't possible, he has never met her before. She then recalls the events of Detective Comics 336 and says, she was that witch.

The entire storyline is retold in the TPB JLA Zatanna's Search along with her origin.
Post 741 IP   flag post
Collector bige31 private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkseid_of_town thanks for the heads up man! I greatly appreciate that. I’m been trying to get into zatanna and that helped a lot!
Post 742 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Ah well shes a favorite of mine...here are more of her early appearances, in the silver age, in order by date...

Hawkman 4 intro November 64
Detective comics 336 February 65
Atom 19 July 65
Green lantern 42 January 66
Detective 355 Sept 1966
Justice League 51 Feb 1967
flash 198 June 1970

I also highly recommend the 70's run of supergirl, as she is the backup story in issues 1-5, with issue 5 doing a reprint of her origin story. Issue 7 has a supergirl/Zatanna cover, which is classic.
She also appears in several issues of Adventure comics between 410 and 426, and in a few issues of World's finest . The early green lantern, Justice League and Atom books have already taken off quite a bit and are fun to look for in higher grades.

The second book was homage although many won't catch on....
Kiss was introduced in a Howard the Duck comic book back in the seventies...this was my spin on it.

Post 743 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Quote:

Unfortunately a mis-weap

Only for those who care about such things. I don’t mind them if it’s level along the spine/consistent and doesn’t cut off anything important along the edges.
Post 744 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

Post 745 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Quote:

Unfortunately a mis-weap

Only for those who care about such things. I don’t mind them if it’s level along the spine/consistent and doesn’t cut off anything important along the edges.

@Drogio I think the white border from the wrap improves the cover appeal in this case. Nice pickup, like you said cheaper than trying to slab yourself.
Post 746 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Got these at auction today...

Post 747 IP   flag post

Post 748 IP   flag post

Post 749 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Won this at auction for a great price.

I’m not a Modern collector, but I really love this series. The sig was a great bonus since I basically paid the unsigned price.

Now I only need a 9.8 of the Emerald City Comic Con variant to have a complete set of #1’s.

Post 750 IP   flag post

Post 751 IP   flag post
1st HELMUT ZEMO: Captain America #168

Falcon & Winter Soldier Still Slated For Fall Release (Not August) On Disney+
https://screenrant.com/falcon-winter-soldier-release-date-fall-disney-plus/

Hopefully, this will increase in value
Post 752 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
1st HELMUT ZEMO: Captain America #168

@OGJackster Is Helmut Zemo different than Baron Zemo? I think there was a Baron Zemo in Sgt Fury #8.
Post 753 IP   flag post
@EbaySeller

Helmut Zemo
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigationJump to search
This article is about the second Baron Zemo, Helmut Zemo. For his father, see Heinrich Zemo.

Helmut J. Zemo is a fictional supervillain appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics, most commonly as an adversary of the superhero Captain America and the Avengers. He is the son of Baron Heinrich Zemo. The character first appeared in Captain America #168 (December 1973) and was created by Roy Thomas, Tony Isabella and Sal Buscema.

In 2009, Helmut Zemo was ranked as IGN's 40th Greatest Comic Book Villain of All Time.[1] Daniel Brühl portrays the character in the Marvel Cinematic Universe film Captain America: Civil War (2016) and will return to portray the role in the upcoming Disney+ series The Falcon and the Winter Soldier (2020).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmut_Zemo
Post 754 IP   flag post
@BigRedOne1944 I saw some of your First Comics books above. Just for the fun of it, here are mine...

Post 755 IP   flag post
601359 999 30