Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

New to your collection #710736

I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@daywalker and @EbaySeller - Thanks, guys. Next on my list is to probably sell a few books to replace what I spent on this book, and then find some more SA ASM's and Adventure Comics, and/or maybe add an EC to my collection of three so far. I do plan on having it slabbed to help preserve it. Maybe CBCS will have an X-Men promo soon? Eventually, I could possibly see myself upgrading this and some other X-Men issues at some time in the future.
Post 601 IP   flag post
Collector daywalker private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@daywalker and @EbaySeller - Thanks, guys. Next on my list is to probably sell a few books to replace what I spent on this book, and then find some more SA ASM's and Adventure Comics, and/or maybe add an EC to my collection of three so far. I do plan on having it slabbed to help preserve it. Maybe CBCS will have an X-Men promo soon? Eventually, I could possibly see myself upgrading this and some other X-Men issues at some time in the future.

Send me a list of what your looking for and I’ll keep my eyes open for you!
Post 602 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
@Siggy

This might be a silly question, but how did you get those books from his personal collection, and how does CBCS confirm that?

That's just a very cool thing to have in your collection. Congrats!
he bought Royers entire personnal collection I believe he said...

Sorry I didn't see these replies.
Mike and I live in the same small town, and when I learned of this I reached out to him for possible commissions. He invited me to his home/studio, and we've been friends ever since (9 years). I help set up commissions for him now (when he's open for business), and assist him when he sets up tables at West Coast conventions, when my schedule allows. I don't think he plans to set up at San Diego Comic Fest next month, but he invited me anyway.
He brought a couple boxes of his file copies with us to SDCC last year. I drove him there so he'd be able to bring more stuff. There was one bite from a seller there, but he never returned. When we left he offered them to me because he didn't want to have to store them again. I think be and his wife like the extra space.
Anyway, I don't think it's his ENTIRE collection, but there was a lot of Fourth World, Kamandi, and Eternals in there, plus non Kirby stuff.

Not planning to sell any, if anyone is wondering.
Post 603 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Eventually, I could possibly see myself upgrading this and some other X-Men issues at some time in the future.

Well I hope that poor book will find it's Forever Home one day.
Post 604 IP   flag post
Collector BrashSmurf private msg quote post Address this user

Arrived today
Post 605 IP   flag post

I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Thanks to a lot of help from @Studley_Dudley, I was able to finally complete my X-Men run. It is easily one of the most beat-up comics I have, but I own it!

was this the book from one of studley Dudley's lcs?
Post 606 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Batman66 - Yes it is.
Post 607 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Thanks to a lot of help from @Studley_Dudley, I was able to finally complete my X-Men run. It is easily one of the most beat-up comics I have, but I own it!

Always glad to help out!
Post 608 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo that's awesome it worked out. Congrats on your grail
Post 609 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo Congrats on completing an amazing run.
Post 610 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
@esaravo Congrats on completing an amazing run.
you meant to say an uncanny run
Post 611 IP   flag post
@Batman66 and @BrianGreensnips - Thank you. If there is interest, I might post my run on a separate thread. We did have a thread for runs, but it might have gone cold and been archived. And it would be a good way for me to make sure I have all the issues!
Post 612 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Got this in today, impulse buy. Looks nice and was cheap. Wonder Woman 140

Post 613 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
@Siggy

This might be a silly question, but how did you get those books from his personal collection, and how does CBCS confirm that?

That's just a very cool thing to have in your collection. Congrats!
he bought Royers entire personnal collection I believe he said...

Sorry I didn't see these replies.
Mike and I live in the same small town, and when I learned of this I reached out to him for possible commissions. He invited me to his home/studio, and we've been friends ever since (9 years). I help set up commissions for him now (when he's open for business), and assist him when he sets up tables at West Coast conventions, when my schedule allows. I don't think he plans to set up at San Diego Comic Fest next month, but he invited me anyway.
He brought a couple boxes of his file copies with us to SDCC last year. I drove him there so he'd be able to bring more stuff. There was one bite from a seller there, but he never returned. When we left he offered them to me because he didn't want to have to store them again. I think be and his wife like the extra space.
Anyway, I don't think it's his ENTIRE collection, but there was a lot of Fourth World, Kamandi, and Eternals in there, plus non Kirby stuff.

Not planning to sell any, if anyone is wondering.
And I will always be grateful for your help and consideration in allowing me to acquire the one issue I hoped for in this deal, the New Gods 7 signed by Mr royer, thanks Siggy
Post 614 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort
Got this in today, impulse buy. Looks nice and was cheap. Wonder Woman 140

Great buy, those earlier wonder woman books used to sit and never do much but nowdays they are climbing in price and hard to get in decent shape
Post 615 IP   flag post
Quote:
Thanks to a lot[/!Quote:
Thanks to a [b]lot
of help from @Studley_Dudley, I was able to finally complete my X-Men run. It is easily one of the most beat-up comics I have, but I own it!

Way to go Ed and Uncanny congratulations! Its always such a triumph to finish a long winding run like this , an then be able to start upgrading and replacing the more worn for better and slowly polishing and shining up your treasure. It only gets better with time too....
When I think about it the three hardest fought runs for me were the Original Justice League of America, Incredible hulk from 102-400 and the ultimate nightmare to fill...Turok, son of stone
Post 616 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkseid_of_town, I was looking for some early Wonder Woman and i've been watching this one for a little bit, then the seller offered free ship and that was the hook (apparently). It actually looks nicer than the picture because you can see the cardboard on the lower left corner, it makes it look like there is something wrong with the book but it's cut nicely and in good shape.
Post 617 IP   flag post
If I remember correctly that would have been when Kanigher was working the title and the comic was in low print runs....slowly recovering from the SOTI trials and so forth.

Some of those books from that five or six year span have amazingly few copies in decent shape running around.

I always smile when people say they are looking for early wonder woman books...I tend to focus on the first thirty issues, which are few, far between and rather price heavy, and were mostly written by Hummel.

PS: if you ever want the ultimate wonder woman headache, try an find or buy a copy of issue 105....good luck
Post 618 IP   flag post
I will keep my eyes out for affordable (to me) copies. See what comes my way, I am happy with this purchase.
Post 619 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Congratulations! Completing a run like that is quite an accomplishment.

Very curious to see what the official slabbed grade will be.
Post 620 IP   flag post
Speaking of X-men runs, after watching the Chris Claremont documentary I was motivated to continue pursuing my Chris Claremont "New X-men" run (which I started in 1982). At Calcomicon they had a 4 hour Saturday "Comic Swap" for collectors and dealers who could not get a booth at the main Sunday show. I was very happy to pick up these 12 books in a bulk purchase for average price of $20 each.
I mention the price in hopes of encouraging all of you to plan ahead and get out here next January!

Post 621 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Congratulations on the X-Men run Ed
Post 622 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Speaking of X-men runs, after watching the Chris Claremont documentary I was motivated to continue pursuing my Chris Claremont "New X-men" run (which I started in 1982). At Calcomicon they had a 4 hour Saturday "Comic Swap" for collectors and dealers who could not get a booth at the main Sunday show. I was very happy to pick up these 12 books in a bulk purchase for average price of $20 each.
I mention the price in hopes of encouraging all of you to plan ahead and get out here next January!

THE BEST X-MEN RUN EVERRRRRRR!!!!
Post 623 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by daywalker

Glad you agree. Funny thing though, between X-men 113 and X-men 120 there are several covers that are uncharacteristically unremarkable...I wouldn't even care to own them if they weren't part of my run.
Post 624 IP   flag post
@Darkseid_of_town I have two copies of wonder women 105, low grade if your interested
Post 625 IP   flag post
@Darkseid_of_town

Post 626 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Quote:
Originally Posted by daywalker

Glad you agree. Funny thing though, between X-men 113 and X-men 120 there are several covers that are uncharacteristically unremarkable...I wouldn't even care to own them if they weren't part of my run.

Really...I don’t mind them. Better than a lot of the covers coming out now! Those have a story on the cover as opposed to just a character posing on the cover. Plus the interior art and story are what make them great!
Post 627 IP   flag post
Quote:
If I remember correctly that would have been when Kanigher was working the title and the comic was in low print runs....slowly recovering from the SOTI trials and so forth.

Some of those books from that five or six year span have amazingly few copies in decent shape running around.

I always smile when people say they are looking for early wonder woman books...I tend to focus on the first thirty issues, which are few, far between and rather price heavy, and were mostly written by Hummel.

PS: if you ever want the ultimate wonder woman headache, try an find or buy a copy of issue 105....good luck

Since you brought up Hummel, I don't know if you ever posted the resolution to your signature adventure. Is there a closing chapter to the story of the famous elusive Joye Hummel autograph hunt? (hope i spelled her name correctly)
Post 628 IP   flag post
I sent her the package, and her husband achknowleged having gotten it mid week of that particular week....around sunday he emailed stating he had spent the entire night with her at the emergency room, and according to her doctors it would be some time If ever before she was able to sign autographs for anyone again. He said if she were ever able to continue signing for fans he would let me know, etc. He summarily returned the entire box to me, more or less untouched, except for having been opened. ..….either I missed the chance by a daunting day or two, or they changed their mind.It almost felt like something spooked them or I dont really know. It all seemed sort of off....figured it wouldn't take much effort for someone to write their name a few times, but then again if she had a stroke or something worse, it could be the explanation. To get that close only to miss really stung and I haven't felt much like even talking further about it.....I do hope she is alright and it wasn't anything too debilitating, or serious, but given her age anything is possible.
I spent hours of work and some money getting to the position of doing that and it all more or less fell in on itself in a matter of a day or two sadly. To come that close, and yet so clearly to miss doesn't feel that great honestly

I spend time now and again searching for signed books she might have done at San Diego in case something surfaces, but it seems a forlorn chance
Post 629 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
@daywalker there is something wrong with your camera. I see doubles in your post.
Post 630 IP   flag post
601523 999 30