Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

New to your collection #710736

Collector daywalker private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@daywalker - I think you are already having a very nice New Year, Dave. Some great pickups!

Not a bad start at all Ed! Thanks!
Post 276 IP   flag post
Collector Duece411 private msg quote post Address this user
Got another good one tonight sweet!
Post 277 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by daywalker

Some Transformers and G.I. Joe goodness! Many newsstands!

If you get extra Transformers G2 newsstands, I would be interested. Awesome haul!
Post 278 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
@daywalker you hit the newsstand jackpot
Post 279 IP   flag post
Collector daywalker private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcanes
@daywalker you hit the newsstand jackpot

I truly did! There’s about 200 more that I didn’t even take pictures of!
Post 280 IP   flag post

I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Got this Incredible Hulk #340 Signed by Todd McFarlane today. it was a great price and I plan on sending it in for VSP and I'm hoping it comes back genuine, several of the forum member encouraged me to purchase it by showing old McFarlane sigs that looked very similar to this one.

Post 281 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
@daywalker

Nice haul on all the newsstands. I like the Mike Zeck GI Joe covers. congratulations!
Post 282 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duece411
Just bought it thanks for suggestion!

Cool! The "KEY" books are nice and all, but its a shame when people limit themselves to just the so called "Keys" and end up missing out on many of the truly great books out there. Sometimes you will find that many of the greatest books you own are not even "Keys" at all..... Just great books and there's nothing like completing a run of books.

We all have to face the issue of storage space at some point, hopefully you will be able to gain some more accommodating space at some point in the future.
Post 283 IP   flag post
Collector bige31 private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics ah yes I did not realize that.
Post 284 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
To me, it's like this, I would love to own ALL the comics. But that's unrealistic when it comes to time, space and money. So I focus and limit myself to keys. It satisfies the space concern...the # of key books, while plentiful, are a very small fraction compared to ALL the books...and I buy the keys I can afford. Also, buying keys means if I have to sell (or my family has to sell), these books will move easily. I may not get what I paid for them (hopefully more than I paid but not guaranteed), but they will sell relatively quick and for more than regular books.
Post 285 IP   flag post
Collector Scorpion private msg quote post Address this user
After looking for over 20+ years after SHI WOTW came out in 1994 I found it the rare one. Shi Antiquities Edition Signed
Post 286 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
I buy runs if its a character or something I like immensely. I have the fourth world trilogy stuff several times over. I have the She hulk titles...Ms marvel, Dazzler, Spider woman, Infinity inc. ….Kamandi, Sandman, Demon, etc. If the writer, artist or character is something I find appealing I get it all
If its something I have little interest in , or that has a random key in it, I buy the key if I want and could care less otherwise.
The idea you "HAVE" to collect an entire run or should spend your money simply because 195 follows 196 in sequence is lemming behavior.
Buy and collect what you like and enjoy, most. There are many books people consider utter grail keys that I could care less to own....why spend money and precious space and resources sheparding books you dont really love or want?
At that point you aren't collecting anymore, you have become a hoarder and might need an intervention.
Post 287 IP   flag post
Collector bige31 private msg quote post Address this user
So I know this doesn’t count as new to my collection cuz I don’t have it yet(I’m paying it off) but I will get it in due time nonetheless and I’m mostly just super pumped so I wanted to share.

Post 288 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Also, buying keys means if I have to sell (or my family has to sell), these books will move easily. I may not get what I paid for them (hopefully more than I paid but not guaranteed), but they will sell relatively quick and for more than regular books.

This evolution towards easily sellable books (liquidity) seems to be a common part of aging for all of us collectors over time. I don't know if it's because we feel ourselves aging and understand others may need to liquidate our books...or we just get a huge dose of reality every time we struggle to sell $20 raw books.
Post 289 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

I bought the champions 15 because I thought I was missing the issue. Turns out this was a accidental upgrade for $1 and the two iron man's were a $1 each and thought they looked cool with the monotone blue cover and the DC gogo check on the other one 👍
Post 290 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Got the wife a 1st Edition (2nd Printing) of ‘On The Road’ by Jack Kerouac today. Sadly, minus the dust jacket. But it made her so happy, I pulled the trigger.

And I grabbed myself this fun 1960 printing of ‘Fahrenheit 451’ at the same shop while on vacation here in Washington.

Post 291 IP   flag post
New one today...
Post 292 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Quote:

Cool! The "KEY" books are nice and all, but its a shame when people limit themselves to just the so called "Keys" and end up missing out on many of the truly great books out there. Sometimes you will find that many of the greatest books you own are not even "Keys" at all..... Just great books and there's nothing like completing a run of books.

We all have to face the issue of storage space at some point, hopefully you will be able to gain some more accommodating space at some point in the future.

I agree and this is worthy of collecting the entire run. It has always been one of my favorite runs of the 1980's. I have 2 (almost 3) complete sets of #232-295 plus related Annuals & 2 sets of #204-221 (Byrne's earlier art only issues). I really need to sell off 1 of my sets but for some reason I find it very difficult...something nice about knowing I always have backup copies.
Post 293 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
bought this today...Yay!!

I hate you!

But, seriously, great addition. You've been getting great books lately.

Congrats!
Post 294 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
30 cent price variant

I'm not too familiar what these chromium classics are or how they came to be other than it was the 90s. Pics are lousy but all are NM.

reprints UXM 141-142

reprints UXM 137

reprints X-Men #25

upgraded my copy. Still looking for an acceptable pence copy.

Post 295 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Moon knight 1, came in today.

Post 296 IP   flag post
Alot of bleeding on this book looked at all the books of this issue and almost everyone has it! Is it going to effect the grade alot and if so what kind of grade to expect with this book with pink bleeding on cover and back of the book? After pressed and cleaned?
Post 297 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brysb
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Quote:

I agree and this is worthy of collecting the entire run. It has always been one of my favorite runs of the 1980's. I have 2 (almost 3) complete sets of #232-295 plus related Annuals & 2 sets of #204-221 (Byrne's earlier art only issues). I really need to sell off 1 of my sets but for some reason I find it very difficult...something nice about knowing I always have backup copies.

@brysb Congratulation on those Great John Bryne runs!

The hobby obviously has a monetary and business side that we all have to navigate and justify in some way shape or form. I love buying, selling and trading comic books, but Ive always personally felt that the day it becomes more about "What's it worth" is the day I would probably quit this great hobby.

It's good to know that there are still comic book purest who see more than the monetary value of owning some of the greatest comic books ever put to print despite them not carrying the "Key Book" hobby label.

My Grim Jack Tim Truman books are not "Key" books, nor are they worth much in terms of monetary value, but they are some of the most valued and treasured books I own simply for the nostalgic value and joy I get from them, and that is worth more than any monetary value I could ever place on them. I can live without many of the "Key" books, but i could NEVER be without my Grim Jack Books.

I often read where many are concerned with what will happen to their collections once they are gone and I suppose that is a legitimate concern, but to me personally.... All the books I have acquired over the years are for my own personal joy and entertainment, and while it is true that there could be some considerable monetary value to them, I have no concerns what happens to them once Im gone from this earth.

If my family isn't interested in doing the leg work to acquired any of the perceived monetary value of the books they can simply toss them out or throw them into the 6ft hole with me.

Stay Golden Pony Boy.
Post 298 IP   flag post
Collector Maritimer private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRedOne1944, I agree 100%! I buy comics to READ, monetary value is secondary. I have all those Tim Truman Grim Jacks as well, they were some of the best comics of the 80's along with Chaykin's American Flagg and Grell's Jon Sable, Freelance. That being said, my personal favourites are Superman and the Legion of Super Heroes, specifically the Silver Age Legion. Lots of great stories and art in those old gems. I just figure when I'm gone, my sons will cash in for whatever they can get and I'm OK with that.
Post 299 IP   flag post
completely agree, the monetary value is secondary and its all bout the stories, artwork...and loving the medium itself..oh and of course the wraps have to be perfect too in order to enjoy them.
Post 300 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
three more

Post 301 IP   flag post
That devil dinosaur cover always makes me laugh, its an ongoing battle with artists to never seemingly research the dinosaur they draw....

Notice the differences in teeth, the orbits or fenestrae opening of the skull and their sizes and so forth....
Post 302 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Notice the differences in teeth, the orbits or fenestrae opening of the skull and their sizes and so forth...

Well when you see what comic book artists do to women, it's going to really crack you up. Apparently they don't research those either.
Post 303 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
It cannot be worse than the way Rob Liefeld draws Captain America.
Post 304 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
I am sure that they were given artistic freedom to draw
Post 305 IP   flag post
597868 999 30