Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Frank Miller - Files Suit10721

Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
I haven't seen a discussion the news that Frank Miller filed suit against his ex-wife, Lynn Varley.

clickable text

FRANK MILLER Sues LYNN VARLEY - Report

Writer/artist Frank Miller has filed a lawsuit against long-time colorist (and his ex-wife) Lynn Varley for allegedly "swiping valuable rough sketches" and "trying to sell them under the table," according to the New York Post. It wasn't specified which project or projects the sketches were connected to.

"Varley filed for divorce in 2006, after 20 years of marriage," reads the report. "In 2011, while the duo was still married, they cut a deal to divvy up illustrations and artwork they owned, according to the court documents.

The newspaper reports that Miller's lawsuit claims that the colorist "allegedly grabbed either from the couple’s co-op or from a storage unit during their marriage."

"Varley continued to conceal the fact that she had taken the Roughs
throughout the couple’s divorce proceedings and even after they had negotiated and entered into a postnuptial and predivorce agreement which provided that Varley was only entitled to receive specifically designated pieces of Miller’s artwork, not including the Roughs," Miller's lawsuit allegedly stated.

"Despite Varley’s efforts to sell the Roughs through her art dealer in secret, Miller has discovered that Varley’s art dealer was offering the Roughs for sale ‘under the table’ to collectors."

According to the New York Post, Miller seeks all of the 'Roughs' be returned to him, an injunction against the colorist from selling or destroying them, and "damages of at least $25,000 to be decided in a jury trial."

Lynn Varley was Frank Miller's colorist for Ronin, The Dark Knight Returns, 300, Sin City, Elektra Lives Again, the Lone Wolf & Cub covers, and The Dark Knight Strikes Again. She also contributed background colors to Warner Bros.'s 2007 adaptation of his 300 series.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
Looks to me that old Frank's still sour about the divorce....
Post 2 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
A breach of contract can do that to a guy lol
Post 3 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I don't know...judging from the sketches I've seen I would say Lynn did the majority of the work. For the $$ people pay I would be extremely disappointed in a Miller sketch done today.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@KatKomics What sketches have you seen? Are you referring to the sketch covers up on eBay?

Since the 300 it seems Miller's style is more blocky and rough. It has grown on me over the last 24 months. I have to look at his currently style as a stand alone. I can't reflect on what he was doing on Daredevil while looking at it. I think he made a conscious decision to have it looked at as transgressive. It ties into his writing as it evolved that way long ago.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@Towmater yeah..haven't looked in a while - just did , the current batch are ok but even then a number of them look like they need an inker/colourist to save them.

Just seems what one gets for what one pays for these sketches there is a disconnect for me, from what I've seen on ebay in the past.

Don't mean to be a hater...Ronin and other Miller works (Sin City, Dark Knight etc) still remain on my all time tops lists

And all this being said...if he came to a convention close to me and offered insanely priced sketch tickets I would pick one or two up...what can I say...I'm weak!!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
Who is Lynn's dealer? Graphic Collectibles?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
Frank Miller is overrated, but that is just my opinion. I could care less if his ex is taking him to the cleaners! It's a family affair & I don't care! At least no one died in a fiery car crash...so there is that.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
I don't know...judging from the sketches I've seen I would say Lynn did the majority of the work. For the $$ people pay I would be extremely disappointed in a Miller sketch done today.

Here's what $750 would get you 2 years ago.

And another $150 for Rubinstein to ink it.

*Edit* I believe the going rate for a Miller sketch of that size now is $1k.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderTim
Who is Lynn's dealer? Graphic Collectibles?

The article doesn't state who it is.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics

And just for the record I agree with you. He charges way too much for what he produces.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector SidTheSquid private msg quote post Address this user
Wow, that was $150 well spent. I can hardly believe that's the same piece.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahjdorsey
Wow, that was $150 well spent. I can hardly believe that's the same piece.

I got ate alive on FB for doing so. Not that I give a $@&! what people on FB think but I was a bit surprised. Miller's initial "sketch" was just so lacking. Even by his standards. It was even missing an arm. Joe had to add that in there. It makes me wonder how much Miller relies on inkers to clean up his work for him over the years.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Batman Year One remains the greatest Batman story ever. But what Miller did with The Dark Knight Strikes Again was so disgusting and disrespectful, as to be unforgivable. I won't buy anything new by Miller, though I'll still collect the old stuff, the Batman comics and Daredevil comics from the 80's.

Someone told me once Miller really hated the world and himself during that period of his life. He told me this as an explanation for why DK2 was so disrespectful (and poorly done - let's not forget he was really phoning it in).

But it seems like he is still angry and bitter. And he certainly doesn't try very hard, from what I've seen, even when someone pays him $1k to do a sketch. I've had sketches ten times better for 1/10th the price. He's selling his name, really, not his art.

Anyway, I won't begrudge anyone who likes his work. It can be good, when he tries, and it's okay even if he doesn't. He's still Frank Miller. But anyone has a public dispute with him like this, I automatically take the other person's side. So I wish Lynn well and hope her lawyer simply points out whatever the agreement was, it can't address sketches she already had possession of. Especially if they aren't specifically mentioned in the divorce agreement.

Maybe she'll come to a convention I go to sometime. If she ever does I'll definitely buy a sketch from her, just in solidarity if nothing else.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Someone told me once Miller really hated the world and himself during that period of his life. He told me this as an explanation for why DK2 was so disrespectful (and poorly done - let's not forget he was really phoning it in).

Fortunately I don't have first hand experience but I've heard that divorce can do that to a person. Really sad, Frank Miller was an Icon of my early collecting days. His Daredevil run was in progress when I started collecting and DD 158 was one of the few recently printed books that inspired collecting new comics for potential financial gain. When we heard Miller was going to do a Wolverine mini-series it was my first ever "buy 2 copies" book.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Quote:

His Daredevil run was in progress when I started collecting and DD 158 was one of the few recently printed books that inspired collecting new comics for potential financial gain. When we heard Miller was going to do a Wolverine mini-series it was my first ever "buy 2 copies" book.

Nice! I wasn't a Marvel person then, but I read my brother's Daredevil by the time The Dark Knight Returns was announced. So my brother and I were both really excited about it coming out. The genius behind Daredevil doing DC's coolest character? How could that not be great?

But I was out of town when it came out, and it was already sold out when I finally got to the store. (I was 15.) That was my first experience with a "hot" comic. It never occurred to me before that that a comic would sell out super fast. I am pretty sure I eventually got a third printing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Fortunately I don't have first hand experience but I've heard that divorce can do that to a person. Really sad, Frank Miller was an Icon of my early collecting days.

Actually, his divorce was some five years after DK2. So maybe his "dark period" led to his divorce instead of vice-versa?
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Arak private msg quote post Address this user
The pain .. my ears... my heart
truthfully since having no real reference of the things spoken of in the last 22 years it feels blasphemous , The adult me hears sound arguments and statements and calmly tucks them into a compartment of conditioned and trained apathy. but that little boy who started in 68 his loyalty never wavered for 30 years until the decisions and collective events crushed him and with a heavy heart left his beloved hobby in 98. a moment more traumatic to him then any combat mission. For God sake , the kid screams "this is Frank Miller" the creator of the goddess herself Elektra . one and the same that walks to the right hand of Royalty carrying Mr.Lee's crown and Excalibur. He is aware that Excalibur and Excelsior are different universes and doesn't seem to care. these new friends and associates must be talking about an evil doppelganger or alien. Because the real Mr. Miller while not creating Daredevil.....created Daredevil. Ronin,Dark Knight,the first ranger battalion of Sparta ( ok maybe the adult snuck that one in there )All of the heroes that helped him through the bad times of his influential years.the cold dagger of pain at Elektras death. The only thing that could come close was Jean Grey(but that's another hero anyway , while the man stands listening all suited up in compartmentalized armor, the way he was taught. Hmph , just another @$$hole I never really knew he thinks.
a pinhole of light penetrates the armor and walls from within, a young boys voice barely heard
"Sniff Goodbye Mr. Miller.... Thank you Sir"
the man turns and walks away
Post 17 IP   flag post
I's like to know what roughs are in dispute. I don't think I'd like to buy one and only to find out it was stolen property if the court rules in Miller's favor.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
I's like to know what roughs are in dispute. I don't think I'd like to buy one and only to find out it was stolen property if the court rules in Miller's favor.

Well, I imagine that wouldn't be an issue. The lawsuit is for returning those left, plus $25,000 in damages. (Which seems chincy to me. He could make twice that selling just one page of art, I reckon. Why even bother?)
Post 19 IP   flag post
The article states that, "Miller seeks all of the 'Roughs' be returned to him, an injunction against the colorist from selling or destroying them, and "damages of at least $25,000 to be decided in a jury trial."

"All" could mean all the roughs that have been sold too. They could be labeled as "stolen property" if the case is settled or a verdict renders them as such. Not I typed "if". I have no idea if they are or if they are not, nor am I implying either.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Given the time and effort Miller puts into his sketches, I'm sure he could redraw all the missing art in an hour or two. I kid.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater

Well, I imagine that wouldn't be an issue. The lawsuit is for returning those left, plus $25,000 in damages. (Which seems chincy to me. He could make twice that selling just one page of art, I reckon. Why even bother?)

I'm gonna make it easy and put a temporary hold on all my buying of Frank Miller roughs until the dispute is over. So my collection will be holding steady at zero.
Post 22 IP   flag post

Post 23 IP   flag post
If the "roughs" are prelims then I'd be more than happy to add some of them to my OA collection if he chose to sell them. Some examples of prelims from Miller...

Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Frank Miller’s stuff has always been sketchy and rough; what it does have is a tremendous, chaotic energy. I really liked his work in Ronin and his roughs for the DKR stuff. I also enjoyed The Golden Child book that came out last week.

Post 25 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Speaking of Miller - Midtown comics has the Superman Hardcover signed by both Frank Miller & John Romita for $29.99

Just letting the community know. I certainly bought one (limit of 1 per person)
Post 26 IP   flag post
Miller just announced for Niagara Falls Comicon

$120 for 1 auto
$445 for 4!!
$590 for 5 plus litho and private Q&A limited to 50 people

not sure if any of these are worth it...might get 2 books signed
Post 27 IP   flag post
Might skip it all together - can Frank by witnessed by CBCS??
Post 28 IP   flag post
maybe 4???
Weird War Tales 64
Dark Knight
Wolverine 1
Rom 1

?????Ronin????
Post 29 IP   flag post
608292 29 29
This topic is archived. Start new topic?