CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics Golden AgeComics Silver Age

What are your top five pickups for 2019?10720

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke

Guys I picked this up tonight - this is my holy grail of all

A first printing in 9.0 or above. Achievement unlocked.

WHITE PAGES

EPIC @kaptainmyke! Congratulations!
Post 51 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

WHITE PAGES

Congratulations! There are not a whole lot of those game-changing books in existence.
In 1989 when I was working full time before going off to college I had some money and decided to splurge and pick up a full set of the magazine size TMNT because I was so attracted to the covers. Bought a 3rd print #1, Second Print #2 and 1st print 3,4, and Raphael. About a month ago I pulled some boxes from deep in my garage and found them there. My first thought was that I had something worth slabbing and selling. But as I put them in clean bags and top loaders I realized that I still enjoy those covers way to much to sell.
Post 52 IP   flag post
I purchased very few books this year, but I knocked Hulk 181 off my lifelong grail list, so, there’s that! Thanks to @kaptainmyke.

I also eliminated another one of my Spidey 1-20 list. This will be included in my next submission for grading:

This has been on my “Want” list for years. I’m very happy to have it in high grade thanks to a trade with @esaravo.

Another hard-to-find item, the full size Batman the Animated Series bust sold at the Warner Brothers Store years ago.

That’s it for bigger items. But I was ecstatic to win this SDCC Exclusive Black Widow hat on e-bay this year for a steal!

Post 53 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks guys each year that book gets more and more unaffordable
Post 54 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
My top 5, once I sell the Bone 1 the profit will pay for the rest of them.

Post 55 IP   flag post

I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 56 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
I purchased very few books this year, but I knocked Hulk 181 off my lifelong grail list, so, there’s that! Thanks to @kaptainmyke.

I also eliminated another one of my Spidey 1-20 list. This will be included in my next submission for grading:

This has been on my “Want” list for years. I’m very happy to have it in high grade thanks to a trade with @esaravo.

Another hard-to-find item, the full size Batman the Animated Series bust sold at the Warner Brothers Store years ago.

That’s it for bigger items. But I was ecstatic to win this SDCC Exclusive Black Widow hat on e-bay this year for a steal!

Oh, I forgot that this was from this year as well. Definitely my #2 after Hulk 181 is this nice second Print TMNT #1, Signed & sketched by Eastman.

And an honorable mention:

Post 57 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I love that Treehouse of Horror #1 pretty cool

What is the story behind the SDCC Black Widow Hat, @00slim
Post 58 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke The hat was handed out to the attendees of the MCU Panel at SDCC this year, when they debuted the ‘Black Widow’ teaser. You had to be in the room to get it.

I was bummed I couldn’t be there and was stoked to win mine at auction for cheap.
Post 59 IP   flag post
I'm a McNugget guzzler. HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

WHITE PAGES
oh man, I wouldn’t be able to contain myself. The gold and silver age books that are coveted by many don’t appeal to me a whole lot. I gravitate towards books I remember and were around while I have been. With that being said 1980 and beyond doesn’t leave very many “holy grails”. Ten books maybe? For me tmnt1 is THE BOOK. Unfortunately at the time my exposure to tmnt was all the well marketed tricks of the cartoon, toys, and video games, so I never bought the original mag size books and it kills me knowing that. I don’t know if one of these will ever come my way and I can assure everyone I don’t think I’ve ever been in the same building as one. @flanders Malibu sun book touched me as well but not as much as seeing this, thanks and congrats @kaptainmyke!
Post 60 IP   flag post
I feel ya brah I been a shellhead since 1984 Cowabunga
Post 61 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Very pleased with these two.

An EC in such great condition always makes me happy.

Excuse the group pic - don't feel like pulling the books out again to photograph - but FF 18 and 52 from this acquisition round out my top 5.

Post 62 IP   flag post
I'm a McNugget guzzler. HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I feel ya brah I been a shellhead since 1984 Cowabunga
did you happen to see the add towards the end of issue 100 this week??
Post 63 IP   flag post
Oh i already knew lol They have actually been together a few times long before the toys that made us season three premiered. It is exciting that they are finally doing a new story together after so long.
Post 64 IP   flag post
Johnny, where are your buccaneers?
Johnny: Under my buccan hat.
Gotlift private msg quote post Address this user
Here's a Few..

Batman Adventures #12 1st Harley

Captain America #1 Page Has all the 1st's Captain America, Red Skull & Bucky
The book was out of my reach so I got the best page in the book..
Bucky on the flip side

Fantastic Four #45,, 1st Inhumans

Hulk #180 1st Wolverine (cameo)

Tales to Astonish #59

Post 65 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

WHITE PAGES

HUGE score @kaptainmyke!!! Congratulations man!!!!
Post 66 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
updating my top 5 of 2019 to include my most recent addition.

Post 67 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Nothing yet; but I hope to get a lump of coal at Xmas - as long as it's a 9.8 piece
Post 68 IP   flag post
Collector obrie2tm private msg quote post Address this user

Post 69 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
This one just arrived would be my top pick up for 2019.
Post 70 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
2 days ago, I commented in this forum feed that a 9.8 Lump of coal was being delivered under my tree. I was happy with that.

Well ... a $1 garage sale pickup 1+ years ago from someone who had no idea what he had; then a press and then a submission - lead to a different kind of 9.8 lump of coal I received today. I'm happy with this too.

Post 71 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Nuffsaid111 - It's absolutely beautiful!
Post 72 IP   flag post
@Nuffsaid111 gorgeous!!!!
Post 73 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
updating my top 5 of 2019 to include my most recent addition.

That DD #1 presents much nicer than 4.0.

My 3.0 looks rough in comparison.
Post 74 IP   flag post
@00slim Thanks!! I thought it presented pretty good too.
Post 75 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
Love that Sgt. Fury 1!
Post 76 IP   flag post
@Doc_Cop Thank you!! Love the book too but its the White pages that I couldn't resist.
Post 77 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
I went after some lower quality more affordable books this year because I needed a change and need to start enjoying the books for what they are, not resale . Couldn't afford Gotlift's page, but managed to find a cheaper one ..I just picked these all up the last couple/few wks.

[img]https://e3effa51eee72fd900e3-2fb779bd12ec72d4612275342f2c9187.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com/0b9d3b8236f7e44eac22499faf821a73.jpg[/img)
Post 78 IP   flag post
wow 1937 holy cow #2
Post 79 IP   flag post
Johnny, where are your buccaneers?
Johnny: Under my buccan hat.
Gotlift private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher
I went after some lower quality more affordable books this year because I needed a change and need to start enjoying the books for what they are, not resale . Couldn't afford Gotlift's page, but managed to find a cheaper one ..I just picked these all up the last couple/few wks.

You did great. That Detective Comics #2 is fantastic and the others aren’t to shabby either. I would pull the trigger on any one of them if I had a money tree in the back yard. Lol. 🖖.
Post 80 IP   flag post
618084 85 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?