Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

This MCS grade doesn't seem particularly tight10719

Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
My cynical theory is that low demand or high stock levels might influence MCS graders to tighten up. To that point here's a high demand book. Doesn't look quite as nice as what I've been conditioned to expect from an MCS 4.5:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-234-VG-4-5-1971-1st-Silver-Age-app-Two-Face/312852963082?hash=item48d77d5f0a:g:YKQAAOSw64Zd1HOH

Looks like it could use a cleaning, but I still wouldn't expect more than a 4.5 after cleaning.
Post 1 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
My cynical theory is that low demand or high stock levels might influence MCS graders to tighten up. To that point here's a high demand book. Doesn't look quite as nice as what I've been conditioned to expect from an MCS 4.5:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-234-VG-4-5-1971-1st-Silver-Age-app-Two-Face/312852963082?hash=item48d77d5f0a:g:YKQAAOSw64Zd1HOH

Looks like it could use a cleaning, but I still wouldn't expect more than a 4.5 after cleaning.

That is a rarity Personally I will never send another raw book in to them for consignment. I had some CBCS raw grade comics I was thinking about but they said that since raw grade comics don't check for restoration they would have to be opened and regraded by them. There goes that CBCS 9.8 down to a MCS 8.5...lol...Hmmmmmm don't think so.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
@MutantMania I've not bought off them. But what I hear if you're selling through them best to send slabs. That way you know the grade they'll sell the book at.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector PThomas2010 private msg quote post Address this user
I buy and sell from them like crazy, and I've learned they're just like every other "professional" grader; It depends on who is grading the book and whether or not they feel charitable. I tend to only buy books that they have scans of (unless it's just a common book), and base my purchase more on eye appeal than the number somebody came up with while thinking about personal problems, how hungry they are, or being excited or nervous about something in their life. Although there are clear standards for every grade point, we humans are incapable of perfect consistency with ourselves, let alone with other people, too. Since this is the system we're stuck with, I try not to stress over it when I get a loser.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
I haven't purchased raw book from MCS in 10 years. Back then the book would arrive with a sticker on the bag that had a number on it. The number represented the individual who graded the book. Just curious if they still do this.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
They generally grade books very tight but once in a while they get loose or miss some things.

I bought a Turok book from them where the grade would have been pretty close if they didn't miss some damage on the interior pages of the book.

With the volume of books they get it is safe to assume that not all books are graded by the same person.
Post 6 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
I find that they grade a bit tighter than CBCS in high grade and more than a bit tighter than CBCS in low grade. Mid grade is a bit of a crap shoot compared to CBCS, but that said, those are the hardest books to grade.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Like anything else, use your eyes and make your own judgement. I have made several purchases of raw (and graded) books from MCS over the last few years, and scrutinized every one before I made the purchase (or bid). When I look at their listings, in my opinion some books look better than the grade they have assigned it, and some look like they are right around the assigned grade. By being picky, you can benefit from some of the books being undergraded, but never assume that all of them are! Another point to consider is that by now, almost everyone who buys from them expects them to undergrade their books to some extent. And they use this to their advantage, as they almost always list their own books at prices that reflect comics in grades one or more points higher than their assigned grades. Also check out the prices realized in their weekly auctions. Many times I have seen raw copies of key books at say 8.0 sell for prices comparable or even higher than graded copies of the same issue in the "same" grade.
Repeat after me...
If it seems like too good of a deal, it ...
and
Buy the book, not ...
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Many times I have seen raw copies of key books at say 8.0 sell for prices comparable or even higher than graded copies of the same issue in the "same" grade.

I've been conditioned to that behavior now as well. I was going to look at one of their books based on the price and grade, but then I realized that it said CGC...and it actually ended my interest in the book! They've got my thinking turned all upside down.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock
I find that they grade a bit tighter than CBCS in high grade and more than a bit tighter than CBCS in low grade. Mid grade is a bit of a crap shoot compared to CBCS, but that said, those are the hardest books to grade.

It's stunning that the President and chief grade of a grading company would come on a forum like this and offer such an honest appraisal of perhaps the largest (depends on definition of large) comic dealer in the world's grading standards.

Thank you Steve

@Pre_Coder
I got three books from MCS (Lonestar) just today. There were no stickers like you describe on the bags.

Interestingly enough about this order of three books, all appear to be MCS stock, as none had the 3% commission. All were strictly graded, with the most expensive book (only $32.00) much nicer than the assigned 6.0. I say this is interesting as I have often stated I believe MCS grades stricter on consignment books than their own stock. But these three books say different.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Interestingly enough about this order of three books, all appear to be MCS stock, as none had the 3% commission. All were strictly graded, with the most expensive book (only $32.00) much nicer than the assigned 6.0. I say this is interesting as I have often stated I believe MCS grades stricter on consignment books than their own stock. But these three books say different.

The thing you have to understand is that before they had consignment, they offered very generous trade-in value for much of what is likely still stock today. I knew a dealer/distributor here who, on a near monthly basis, would just tape up entire long-boxes of various in-line books with potential $6 credit at 9.4, and ship to them for trade-in credit. I believe their response to this was to start grading the books tighter and tighter. For example they might get 10 copies each of Green Lantern #90-#100 and just assign most of them an 8.0. Never read, never sold books were getting grades of 6.5-8.5, at most they had light storage or shipping issues. And for the last decade they have been selling those books at the exact same grade that they assigned when the books came in. The dealer didn't like it but he wouldn't argue much, he was sending in otherwise dead inventory and using the credits for slabbed books that he could quickly sell.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
Ack! Purchased a 9.6 Pitt ashcan from MCS subbed to CBCS and just got the grade, 9.0 with check mark. Notes state rust on centerfold staple. I don’t recall seeing any rust. Book has two VSP’s. Looks like another expensive lesson learned. I need to remember to take my time and review each book before subbing.
Post 12 IP   flag post
597876 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?