Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

This is a 9.6? ebay auction10697

Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
For comparison, my 9.2 looks 10 times better. Hell the 9.0 I used to have looks 10 times better too.







I would take your two copies over the cgc 9.6

I love the CBCS haters who say they go to CGC because the books sell for more, and then it's usually followed by some comment along the lines of CGC grades better for resale. This goes back to "by the book not the grade"
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
As the saying goes...buy the book, not the grade.


Here here 🍺
Post 27 IP   flag post
TRA LA LA esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
I was looking at a slabbed X-Men #80 (CBCS 9.4) yesterday on ebay. Besides having a badly mis-wrapped cover (usually not a grading deduction), I swear I can see a tear in the cover at the lower staple in the scans. No way I would call it an 9.4, but maybe that's allowed?
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
I was looking at a slabbed X-Men #80 (CBCS 9.4) yesterday on ebay. Besides having a badly mis-wrapped cover (usually not a grading deduction), I swear I can see a tear in the cover at the lower staple in the scans. No way I would call it an 9.4, but maybe that's allowed?


The good thing is if the serial numbers are clear you can check the notes. I'd also want closer picks.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector EbaySeller private msg quote post Address this user
I think the book was switched. It's not just the spine ticks. Looks like other issues on the upper right corner of the front if I'm seeing things right. Maybe some color rub also. I would have had no expectation above 9.0 if submitting it.

Oh boy, just looked at the back cover as well. This just cannot be a legit slab.
Post 30 IP   flag post


Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
@EbaySeller

I have seen videos of comics that should have been graded at 7.5-8 and come back 9.2s from cgc.

I will shoot the seller an email and see if he has grader notes.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector EbaySeller private msg quote post Address this user
Curious what grade you all would expect for this copy based on the front cover:


Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
@EbaySeller hard to tell. I'm looking at it from my phone. I may guess a 8.5- 9.0 ?
I've tried looking at that book on eBay with my phone and I don't have the same resolution everyone else can see with that book up on auction
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
9.2
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
———————————————————
Certification Information
Certification #: 2079264007
Title: DC Comics Presents
Issue: 26
Issue Date: 10/80
Issue Year: 1980
Publisher: D.C. Comics
Grade: 9.6
Total Graded At: 536
Page Quality: WHITE
Grade Date: 11/20/2019
Category: Modern
Art Comments: Marv Wolfman story
Jim Starlin & Steve Mitchell art
Jim Starlin cover
Key Comments: 1st app. of New Teen Titans in preview
by Marv Wolfman & George Perez.
1st app. Raven, Cyborg & Starfire.
Grader Notes: None Available
———————————————————

Interesting that a book with that many visible defects has no grader notes.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@EbaySeller not sure what grade but it looks better than that eyesore of a 9.6. That grade is hurting my eyes almost as much as Drake's music hurts my ears.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
@EbaySeller not sure what grade but it looks better than that eyesore of a 9.6. That grade is hurting my eyes almost as much as Drake's music hurts my ears.

Maybe it's a blessing I can't see it properly on my phone then 👍
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
I couldnt disagree more, honestly. If it isn't meeting the definition of the grade why soften the terms to allow an older book to meet a false grade? It either is or is not...
Grading is indeed subject, but grading standards are NOT. You absoloutely can take books from different eras, and grade them equally. A superman from 1940 shouldn't be scoring a 9.4 unless it meets the definition of 9.4 …..
Books are not made the same true, and neither are inks...but all that means is that in some books and years and publishers you have a much smaller chance of scoring a 9.0....or higher, whereas with some others you might score better. You dont alter the standards to fit the books, you create standards by which to grade them.

bags and boards are a moot argument.....in fact many golden age pedigree collections were never bagged nor boarded. Ways of caring for books have changed sure...but that still is not a good argument for altering standards to fit books rather than being honest with the grades.
There is zero wrong with stating...the books from these years seldom turn up above 8.0 or 8.5 and then placing the proper value on those books for that reason....rather than altering the grading standard to suggest they do.
You grade books by standards that are applicable for them...rather than altering them when needed to get a higher number score .



Ditto
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher
9.2


Same here.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector EbaySeller private msg quote post Address this user
thanks, 9.2 is the grade I would expect from CBCS. For CGC I would cross my fingers for 9.4. But as with Flanders, I prefer it to the slabbed 9.6.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector EbaySeller private msg quote post Address this user
This dealer raises too many red flags for me. His "Pick your Comic" multi-book listings are awkward if not misleading, and his shipping charges are very high and strangely inconsistent. My guess would be that if he doesn't do sketchy things himself, he may well be getting his supply from people who do sketchy things.

Of course he's located in Brooklyn, I guessed that before I looked. So many of the bad Ebay experiences that I've had have come from that area outside NYC.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I continue to wonder about the catchphrase "buy the book; not the grade". So why is it we pay good money to 3rd party experts? - so that I still have to buy the comic; not the grade?
Makes total sense to me.
I'll stick with buying raws; getting them graded; and let some other poor soul still have to grade a graded book before purchase
Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
I think the book was switched. It's not just the spine ticks. Looks like other issues on the upper right corner of the front if I'm seeing things right. Maybe some color rub also. I would have had no expectation above 9.0 if submitting it.

Oh boy, just looked at the back cover as well. This just cannot be a legit slab.


Also can't be legit...no bonus CGC newton rings
Post 43 IP   flag post
Collector EbaySeller private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
I continue to wonder about the catchphrase "buy the book; not the grade". So why is it we pay good money to 3rd party experts? - so that I still have to buy the comic; not the grade?
Makes total sense to me.
I'll stick with buying raws; getting them graded; and let some other poor soul still have to grade a graded book before purchase


I think you might have answered your own question in the end there. We pay the third party not to buy...but to sell. The 3rd party certification gives our books liquidity that, unfortunately, it just would not have beyond those who can physically inspect it. Truth is, without the internet, I suspect our slabbing needs would go down by about 75%. On the other hand, it's a reasonable price to pay for access to a global, rather than local, market.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Collector southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
@EbaySeller exactly. Most of my slabbed books I bought off dealers and auction houses while I was living in Australia. Though I saw scans of the book the restoration check and the fact that the book was complete gave me confidence to buy a book that I could not physically inspect in my hands prior to purchasing
Post 45 IP   flag post
Collector BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller

I think you might have answered your own question in the end there. We pay the third party not to buy...but to sell. The 3rd party certification gives our books liquidity that, unfortunately, it just would not have beyond those who can physically inspect it. Truth is, without the internet, I suspect our slabbing needs would go down by about 75%. On the other hand, it's a reasonable price to pay for access to a global, rather than local, market.


I couldn't have put it better myself. I have argued this point before and it's logic always meets some resistance. TPGing exists for one reason... Buy, Sell, Trade
Post 46 IP   flag post
Collector Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
When I think of "Buy The Book, Not The Grade", the situation I imagine is a perfectly centered 9.6 vs an off center 9.8
I'll take the perfectly centered 9.6 every day.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Collector southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Also can mean two low grade books and out of the two one presents well for the grade. And other factors like centering and is the cover snow white or is it turning cream with age ect.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Collector Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross
Also can mean two low grade books and out of the two one presents well for the grade.

Agreed- Not just supergrades, but anything that presents better.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Collector BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
When I think of "Buy The Book, Not The Grade", the situation I imagine is a perfectly centered 9.6 vs an off center 9.8
I'll take the perfectly centered 9.6 every day.


ABSOLUTELY! Mis Wraps SUCK!
Post 50 IP   flag post
Collector Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I guess I'll just keep selling what I submit for grading and towing the line that everything is great and the service is sooooooooo good to have a 3rd party in the hobby
I've purchased less than a handful of graded books; only because they were priced same as raw.

As a buyer - I just can't bring myself to purchase a graded book that is exponentially more than it's raw counterpart when I still have to do grading myself on an already graded book. I mean, really, what service was it that was provided by CGC when I see 9.6's look like this garbage at the beginning of this thread. I need to grade it again? Ahhh... no.... confidence is needed in the 3rd party is what's required

Now let me go wash my car since I just had it detailed
Post 51 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Taylor06
Dr. Watson, do you work for CBCS, CGC or PGX? I own and operate a shop and press & dry clean books professionally. I am an authorized dealer for 2 different companies. I have submitted over 1,000 books in the past 5 years. And copper age books that are 40 years old get graded differently. No one screwed the pooch as you put it.


A thousand books in 5 years...really? That's a slow week for me. Having had this very conversation with at least 4 of the top graders at CBCS and CGC, about how each era of books are graded...copper age does not get graded differently. Nor do moderns, bronze, and silver.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I have no evidence or data, and therefore no opinion on the existence of grading differential between era of books.

I do, however, have thoughts on what people say vs. what they do. Actions, Evidence and Data speaks way louder to me than what someone tells me.
That goes for any aspect of life.

"In God we Trust, All Others Bring Data"
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector EbaySeller private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
A thousand books in 5 years...really? That's a slow week for me. Having had this very conversation with at least 4 of the top graders at CBCS and CGC, about how each era of books are graded...copper age does not get graded differently. Nor do moderns, bronze, and silver.


I know that you speak honestly, but I have trouble reconciling what you are saying with my personal observations. So I'm trying to honestly think of reasons why this may be. Maybe on older books, with the passage of time, the creases and flaws are a bit larger and more visible but grade the same as smaller less visible flaws on newer books? Maybe the non-color breaking stuff on newer books has more impact on higher grade and less impact on mid grade books? I don't know, but maybe you have some insight on what we are seeing that causes us to believe that newer books are graded tougher?
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
I guess it starts with defining what you consider newer....most of my collecting years, I always understood all grading was standard, but golden age books always got a little benefit of the doubt ...cause.
For me Dc comics presents is newer, as is Amazing Spiderman 300.....

The problem with what is being tried here is....similar to the age old question...when did the silver age begin...when did it end? When did the copper age begin? Etc...

So then as you are sitting there grading books do you get to the point where you say...this is an older copper almost silver so we bend the curve quite a bit, whereas this book is an almost modern, but still copper so it gets little flex room....how do you split those hairs and when ?

Do you get to a point where you say okay this is the older modern almost copper so lets relax things just a bit here...and this one is newer so lets just do it strict?

I feel a lot of this was seeded into the system the minute they chose to charge Final value fees based on the value of the book. The very minute they did that, any concept of unbiased grading went by the wayside....the better the grade the higher the fee, the more you can be charged, the more you sell it for and everyone is happy.....except that it breaks the system.
Post 55 IP   flag post
289421 55 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?
destitute