Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

This is a 9.6? ebay auction10697

Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-Comics-Presents-26-CGC-9-6-D-C-Comics-1st-Appearence-of-New-Teen-Titans/312871354544?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I am currently shopping around for a 9.6 DC Comics Presents 26 and came across that 9.6. I count at least 4 good size spine tics. Wouldn't that bump the grade to a 9 or lower? Am I missing something here?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
yeah that seems like some lose grading to me as well...the rest of the book must be like a 9.9 or something...did you get the serial number and verify the book isn't switched or the grade shopped in?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector manfred_spain private msg quote post Address this user
Wow. I see about 6 spine ticks, and the back cover has a few issues too between some side indents and the bottom left corner is not very crisp. 8.5 maybe?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
not a 9.6
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Edge328 private msg quote post Address this user
I have a 1985 Transformers CGC 9.6 that has several spine tics, an indentation line on the front cover, a few minor creases throughout, and some kind of blue ink stain visible at the top pages. It has not been switched or doctored.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I don't even know what a 9.6 is anymore. Also those cover edges are rolled. Is that considered a manufacturing defect?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector 11Taylor06 private msg quote post Address this user
The book isn't perfect. But they grade books that are almost 40 years old differently. And are more forgiving on flaws than a book bought last week.
Post 7 IP   flag post
They shouldn't really, standards should be consistent from comic to comic...but I agree they tend to do so.

I know that a golden age book will often get a bit more lax grading, and seen silver books do so as well, but never seen them do more modern stuff like that....
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
that's ridiculous...I count 7 cb ticks...corners a mess...some kind of cb bend top center...my books should all come back 10.5 ..im stoked!
Post 9 IP   flag post
I thought I was getting a handle on grading but now I am starting to feel like I still have no clue.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
If you squint really hard and believe, then it's a 9.6
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Noblebeast315 private msg quote post Address this user
@manfred_spain that’s exactly what I’m seeing too. From what I can see it’s an 8.5 that could benefit from a cleaning and a press which would
Get you to 9.0.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Noblebeast315 private msg quote post Address this user
@moodswing it’s not you bud. It’s them.....
Post 13 IP   flag post
Grading is subject even for 3rd party grading companies. You can't take books from different eras and grade them equally. Not all books are created equal. They are made of different materials paper and ink. And hold up differently . Through the years bags and boards have changed. Ways of caring for books through the years have changed also. The new card stock books are coming back 10.0 with quite a bit of constancy. That DC Presents 26 brand new 40 years ago never would have had a single 10.0 So yes even though its still considered a modern era book it's gonna get graded differently.
Post 14 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Taylor06
Grading is subject even for 3rd party grading companies. You can't take books from different eras and grade them equally. Not all books are created equal. They are made of different materials paper and ink. And hold up differently . Through the years bags and boards have changed. Ways of caring for books through the years have changed also. The new card stock books are coming back 10.0 with quite a bit of constancy. That DC Presents 26 brand new 40 years ago never would have had a single 10.0 So yes even though its still considered a modern era book it's gonna get graded differently.

That's a Copper age book and they do not get a pass on defects like Golden age books. Whomever gave that book a 9.6 screwed the pooch. 8.5 is a little harsh. It's more of a 9.2 book.
Post 15 IP   flag post
I couldnt disagree more, honestly. If it isn't meeting the definition of the grade why soften the terms to allow an older book to meet a false grade? It either is or is not...
Grading is indeed subject, but grading standards are NOT. You absoloutely can take books from different eras, and grade them equally. A superman from 1940 shouldn't be scoring a 9.4 unless it meets the definition of 9.4 …..
Books are not made the same true, and neither are inks...but all that means is that in some books and years and publishers you have a much smaller chance of scoring a 9.0....or higher, whereas with some others you might score better. You dont alter the standards to fit the books, you create standards by which to grade them.

bags and boards are a moot argument.....in fact many golden age pedigree collections were never bagged nor boarded. Ways of caring for books have changed sure...but that still is not a good argument for altering standards to fit books rather than being honest with the grades.
There is zero wrong with stating...the books from these years seldom turn up above 8.0 or 8.5 and then placing the proper value on those books for that reason....rather than altering the grading standard to suggest they do.
You grade books by standards that are applicable for them...rather than altering them when needed to get a higher number score .
Post 16 IP   flag post
Dr. Watson do you work for CBCS, CGC or PGX? I own an operate a shop and press & dry clean books professionally. I am an authorized dealer for 2 different companies. I have submitted over 1,000 books in the past 5 years. And copper age books that are 40 years old get graded differently. No one screwed the pooch as you put it.
Post 17 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Dr. Watson do you work for CBCS, CGC or PGX? I own an operate a shop and press & dry clean books professionally. I am an authorized dealer for 2 different companies. I have submitted over 1,000 books in the past 5 years. And copper age books that are 40 years old get graded differently. No one screwed the pooch as you put it.

Not very experienced but I'm intelligent enough to know that this and your previous post are utter nonsense.
Post 18 IP   flag post
The majority view here seems to be the grade was far too generous..take from that what you wish...but if and I say IF that is the standard for a 9.6 copper age, I have a few hundred silver age to submit and will expect those all moved from Vf or F/VF to 9.0 when I do.If copper age gets that kind of pass, I can only imagine what silver age books should have gotten....
Post 19 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
For comparison, my 9.2 looks 10 times better. Hell the 9.0 I used to have looks 10 times better too.

Post 20 IP   flag post
@esaravo

What were the notes?

Another thing I hate about cgc, I would have to buy the notes to see even if the spine tics are mentioned in the notes.
Post 21 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I have bought, sold, traded, and collected comic books since 1977. I have worked shows from New York to California and most points in between. At one time, I owned the highest graded Bronze age Uncanny X-Men run in existence.

When I worked for Dale Roberts Comics, we submitted probably 1,000 books a month. I have also worked closely with CFP Comics. He submits probably 1,000 books every two weeks. I know how to grade books. That book is not a 9.6 and books produced after 1969 most certainly ARE NOT graded on a curve like some Golden age books.

If you think that's a 9.6, then that's your opinion. Super. That's the great thing about opinions, we're all allowed to have one even if they differ.
Post 22 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
@esaravo

What were the notes?

Another thing I hate about cgc, I would have to buy the notes to see even if the spine tics are mentioned in the notes.

For the 9.2:

Notes:
spine stress breaks color
crease left back cover breaks color & bend near spine front cover
Post 23 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
That was a Friday "before a summer vacation out of the country" 9.6.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
As the saying goes...buy the book, not the grade.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
For comparison, my 9.2 looks 10 times better. Hell the 9.0 I used to have looks 10 times better too.

I would take your two copies over the cgc 9.6

I love the CBCS haters who say they go to CGC because the books sell for more, and then it's usually followed by some comment along the lines of CGC grades better for resale. This goes back to "by the book not the grade"
Post 26 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
As the saying goes...buy the book, not the grade.

Here here 🍺
Post 27 IP   flag post
I was looking at a slabbed X-Men #80 (CBCS 9.4) yesterday on ebay. Besides having a badly mis-wrapped cover (usually not a grading deduction), I swear I can see a tear in the cover at the lower staple in the scans. No way I would call it an 9.4, but maybe that's allowed?
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
I was looking at a slabbed X-Men #80 (CBCS 9.4) yesterday on ebay. Besides having a badly mis-wrapped cover (usually not a grading deduction), I swear I can see a tear in the cover at the lower staple in the scans. No way I would call it an 9.4, but maybe that's allowed?

The good thing is if the serial numbers are clear you can check the notes. I'd also want closer picks.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
I think the book was switched. It's not just the spine ticks. Looks like other issues on the upper right corner of the front if I'm seeing things right. Maybe some color rub also. I would have had no expectation above 9.0 if submitting it.

Oh boy, just looked at the back cover as well. This just cannot be a legit slab.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601505 55 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?