Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Personally I think 9.9 should be omitted from the grading equation. 9.8 to 10 is perfectly acceptable. 9.9 is too damn ANAL.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
@Tedsaid

All great info.

Did you send those Batman Damned off right away. Can I assume you didn't read any of them?

I guess what has me curious at this point is could a book that's been read still get a 10 or 9.9?

I did not read any of them. Well ... I read one. Even sent it in. Have no idea which one though.

I think it could, if you read it carefully, wash your hands first or wear gloves. Don't see why not. Maybe don't open it all the way? Remember, some 9.9's and even 10.0's have signatures on them, and still got the grade. Also, graders look at every page ... that's three people reading the comic, at least. They are just perfectly printed, with no bindery tears on the corners or color breaks on the spine; no scratches on a glossy cover, and the colors pop, and don't have any printing defects or color misalignment. The corners haven't even been blunted a little bit. And the staples are even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
Personally I think 9.9 should be omitted from the grading equation. 9.8 to 10 is perfectly acceptable.

I think they have the 9.9 so they can have a comic with something noticeable to complain about, but it wouldn't be fair to make it a 9.8 along with all the other dregs that low.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCapraAegagrus
If you want to closely observe a perfect book, though, Gem Mints are certainly a treat.

I enjoy looking at a 9.6 or 9.8 that is 40 or 50 years old. It has a story behind how it managed to survive all those years relatively unblemished. It has intrigue value. But a recently printed Gem Mint...for me there is just no intrigue, no backstory to contemplate.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
When I grabbed my chair earlier I knew where this was going, because many many of the modern books being printed are quite thin and when you buy them, they have those obvious roller marks that keep it from scoring higher...another set of books this is often noticeable and pressable in is Edge of the spiderverse, with the high flying issue 2....
Also see those marks rather consistently on copies of Female furies 1 in particular.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
When I grabbed my chair earlier I knew where this was going, because many many of the modern books being printed are quite thin and when you buy them, they have those obvious roller marks that keep it from scoring higher...another set of books this is often noticeable and pressable in is Edge of the spiderverse, with the high flying issue 2....
Also see those marks rather consistently on copies of Female furies 1 in particular.

This is a good point. We've mostly focused on modern books for being in the above 9.8 range, and ignored the older ones.

But for that matter, has anyone seen a copper, Bronze or silver age 9.9 or 10?

My guess is that the newer books have the better stock to keep them in near min longer, but present some issues with regards to being "perfect."

Does that sound right or am I off on this?
Post 55 IP   flag post

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Modern books now are crap. The paperstock, the quality, the actual way they print comics in the least expensive way possible (to squeeze out the most profit from a $6 book you read in 5 minutes or less). It's actually more challenging to get a 9.8 on the majority of books printed today. (Especially if there is an "all black" or "all dark" border cover on front or back)
Post 56 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
There are some SA 9.9 or 10.0s, but extremely rare, and even a few GA 9.8 or 9.9s. A 10.0 is absolutely perfect & a 9.9 has 1 tiny, tiny flaw. There is a reason the grade exists.

Roller marks and printing ripples can be pressed out, and if no ink smears, can get 9.9 or 10, after pressing. And don’t forget, it’s the whole book that gets graded. Outside might look perfect, but if any of these things exist inside the book, those are still deductions.
Post 57 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
9.9 and 10 are fake grades design to create artificial rarity. There are literally mountains of 9.9 & 10 books residing in 9.8 slabs. On the flip side, ALL 9's & 10's are 9.8's on any other given day. The subjectivity is extremely high within these grades
Post 58 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
9.9 and to a bigger extent 10.0, are unicorn grades made up by the grading companies to entice people to submit books chasing them. It creates a "Lottery" effect.

CGC and CBCS, and ANY TPGers for that matter have a vested interest in making sure those grades are kept low to ensure the "Lottery" effect stays strong and continues to entice submissions chasing these unrealistic grades.

I also think that more often than not, these grades are reserved for special clientele.

This
Post 59 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
conspiracy theory!!! lol!!
Post 60 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
conspiracy theory!!! lol!!

And This!
Post 61 IP   flag post
Quote:
9.9 and 10 are fake grades design to create artificial rarity. There are literally mountains of 9.9 & 10 books residing in 9.8 slabs. On the flip side, ALL 9's & 10's are 9.8's on any other given day. The subjectivity is extremely high within these grades

You are either very jaded or don’t know grading. The absolute ONLY subjectivity at the top is if people miss things wrong with a book. Super-high grades are absolutely defined and do exist; just EXTREMELY rare to find a book without some sort of printing issue.

Since i do not work for any of the TPG cos, i do not give anything higher than 9.4. I cannot guarantee what slab might be nor can i guarantee i did not miss something small.
Post 62 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 63 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano0521
Quote:

You are either very jaded or don’t know grading. The absolute ONLY subjectivity at the top is if people miss things wrong with a book. Super-high grades are absolutely defined and do exist; just EXTREMELY rare to find a book without some sort of printing issue.

Since i do not work for any of the TPG cos, i do not give anything higher than 9.4. I cannot guarantee what slab might be nor can i guarantee i did not miss something small.

Im very versed in the TPGing game and well aware of how it is played.
Post 64 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Official terms
10.0 Mint
9.9 Mint-
9.8 NM/M
9.6 NM+
9.4 NM
9.2 NM-
9.0 VF/NM
8.5 VF+
8.0 VF
7.5 VF-
7.0 F/VF
6.5 Fn+
6.0 Fn
5.5 Fn-
5.0 VG/F
4.5 VG+
4.0 VG
3.5 VG-
3.0 G/VG
2.5 Gd+
2.0 Gd
1.8 Gd-
1.5 Fr/G
1.0 Fr
0.8 Pr/Fr
0.5 Pr
0.3 or NG Coverless or further incomplete; usually just to verify book
Pg or NG for single page/folio to verify source

Very cool...I've never seen a 0.8 tho.
Post 65 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

1.0 Fr
0.8 Pr/Fr
0.5 Pr
0.3 or NG Coverless or further incomplete; usually just to verify book
Pg or NG for single page/folio to verify source

Very cool...I've never seen a 0.8 tho.

Just take a 1.0, tear a small piece off the cover, and send it in again. Keep tearing until you get a 0.8.
Post 66 IP   flag post
I’ve only heard of 0.8; never seen one.
Post 67 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Just take a 1.0, tear a small piece off the cover, and send it in again. Keep tearing until you get a 0.8.

Brilliant! But your plan relies on grader consistency. I suggest you just crack a 1.5 and send it to MCS. Then you will own a .8.
Post 68 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid

Brilliant! But your plan relies on grader consistency. I suggest you just crack a 1.5 and send it to MCS. Then you will own a .8.

Lol...to funny but true 😲
Post 69 IP   flag post
Collector Arak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

By jove , I think you've done it!!!!

And that's another fine mess you've gotten us into Stanley
Post 70 IP   flag post
Collector Duece411 private msg quote post Address this user
I sent in a ASM #28 it was restored is there any way of taking a hit on a restored book and how hard is the hit? Think the top left corner was restored with blue painters tape... let me know what i got to do as well please want to try and get out of restored grade if i can?
Post 71 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duece411
I sent in a ASM #28 it was restored is there any way of taking a hit on a restored book and how hard is the hit? Think the top left corner was restored with blue painters tape... let me know what i got to do as well please want to try and get out of restored grade if i can?
There had to be something else going on with the book. Tape is simply a defect and not considered to be restoration.
Post 72 IP   flag post
Collector Duece411 private msg quote post Address this user
Tim did you have the chance to look at it? Message me if you can?
Post 73 IP   flag post
Collector Forbush private msg quote post Address this user
Anyone know what "fbnc" means in grading notes? As in many light stains fbnc. Thanks.
Post 74 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBildhauser
Quote:
Quick note: You can't press a comic into 9.9/10 grade. Either it is perfect off the presses - or it ain't.

That's not necessarily true, it completely depends on the nature of the defect(s) the book has. If they're non-color breaking it would be possible.

This reply is frightening.

Why? It's true.

You want to tell me those were 9.9 when I first got them? This is 2 of many...

Post 75 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not from where I am sitting and reading your posts on this topic.
Post 76 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
Personally I think 9.9 should be omitted from the grading equation. 9.8 to 10 is perfectly acceptable. 9.9 is too damn ANAL.

Yeah, but if you have one it doesn't hurt as much
Post 77 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller

But if after the 2nd attempt a "gift grade" lands a 1.5 or even 1.8, you have to start over and risk a .5 on attempt #3
Post 78 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not from where I am sitting and reading your posts on this topic.

Post 79 IP   flag post
598098 79 29
This topic is archived. Start new topic?