Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Restoration and Conservation

Hybrid copy10659

Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user

Anybody notice this auction that just ended. Referred as a “hybrid copy, coverless with a reproduction cover. If this becomes a real thing I am in, as I have all sorts of big coverless keys with repro covers, something tells me it’s a mistake, though
Post 1 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
I can see a bidder go yippee then do the eBay return when they realize the cover is not genuine
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
I’ve seen many properly described hybrid copies sell for close to Good in Overstreet. So the question is what does ASM 50 list for?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
It's a tl;dr generation. They probably don't read it so much as look at it so "The Amazing Spider-Man #50 Beautiful original 1967 key Kingpin" is all that registers.

"Aw, MAN! I read that as, re: Pro Cover, and thought duh, it's John Romita."
Post 4 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano0521
I’ve seen many properly described hybrid copies sell for close to Good in Overstreet. So the question is what does ASM 50 list for?

For $300 you should be able to get a copy in the VG range.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Someone is going to be sorely disappointed when they slab this book. But hey, this is a situation where I would side with the seller...the listing title is clear and not in any way deceptive.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Seen people selling key books with reproduction covers for thirty years, but the term hybrid is a new one on me. Usually they refer to them as "married".

A possible reason to pay that for a coverless book, might be the person is attempting to marry wraps, cover or missing pages to another or even several copies .

While this copy alone might not justify the expense, if you were able to add missing elements to another copy, or two without being called on it...it might make the price worth it.

Course it isn't quite that simple marrying pages, covers and such because few comics share the unique staple placement and cut of the pages and covers....pretty tricky thing to mess with.

If that isn't the case, then yep, someone is going to be quite annoyed.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
Married is used for when originals from diff books are put together to form a complete book; hybrid refers to original snd modern repro parts put together.
Post 8 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
eBay always favors the buyer, though.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Married is used for when originals from diff books are put together to form a complete book; hybrid refers to original snd modern repro parts put together.

That's my understanding of the term too.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Yes that makes sense most...however and rather interesting, Heritage, Overstreet and MCS all have terms sections for words used in the hobby and none of them mention hybrid, nor for that matter the term married oddly enough.

I had never seen hybrid used, seen MCS offer a lot of books with repro covers, where the description stated...Coverless, married to or reproduction cover provided.

Oh well, live and learn. makes sense though
Post 11 IP   flag post
597875 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?