Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Best way to ship raw comics?10631

Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
Going be putting on a bunch of raw comics and never have done many single issues. Graded I send priority but what do y’all do for raw single issues and how much do you charge for shipping. And what kind of packaging do you use. Thanks.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Johnny, where are your buccaneers?
Johnny: Under my buccan hat.
Gotlift private msg quote post Address this user
I use one of these with a extra piece of cardboard and bag & board the comic the use painters tape to secure it to the mailer.. I do this for the under $50 books.. you can put it in a priority mail bag if they need it faster.. There are also Gemini mailers which are just about the same..

Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Use cardboard mailers from HotFlips or Gemini. A single issue can ship 1stClass USPS for usually around 4-5 dollars. I adjust price accordingly for that and usually offer free shipping on ebay.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Plain manilla envelope, no bag and board, media mail.

I kid. I use Gemini mailers, but I also purchase rigid, cardboard sheets to use with a bubble mailer. They both work well for up to a few comics. Price for first class is between $3ish up to just under $5 depending on weight. After it is over a pound, I usually just box and ship priority with plenty of packing material.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Thank you all
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector MarvelousComics private msg quote post Address this user
If you have Gemini Mailers, and it goes into Priority Mail, the mailer fits into a legal flat rate envelope.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
Single comics bagged and boarded individually; if expensive or foil, then also in toploader or archival mylar. This goes into gemini holder which can be inside something or just go “naked.” First class for one or two comics, but if insured then might as well go to priority anyway.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Padded #4 Manila. I make a tight, sealed cardboard sandwich around the book, using 3 or 4 pieces. Mark do not bend front and back. Send 1st class up to a pound, media over a pound.
Think I have done around 1,000 that way. So far, no damage reported.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Put in a yellow manila folder with no backing board or bag. Roll it up so it fits in any mailbox, big or small.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Put in a yellow manila folder with no backing board or bag. Roll it up so it fits in any mailbox, big or small.

I'm in! Thanks for the tip!!!

LOL
Post 10 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Plain manilla envelope, no bag and board, media mail.

I kid. I use Gemini mailers, but I also purchase rigid, cardboard sheets to use with a bubble mailer. They both work well for up to a few comics. Price for first class is between $3ish up to just under $5 depending on weight. After it is over a pound, I usually just box and ship priority with plenty of packing material.

Where do you buy the rigid, cardboard flats? I love these. I've been using recycled ones that I get from The Comic Mint, but I'd love to have a supply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlift
and bag & board the comic then use painters tape to secure it to the mailer.

I'm going to quote this and reiterate, because it is very important. DEFINITELY secure the bagged comic(s) to the inside of the mailer. (And painters blue tape is a good way to do this.) I recently received five comics in a Gemini mailer, inside a flat-rate envelope, and the corner was smashed. I looked inside, and the Gemini mailer protected the inside part, just like it is supposed to.

But the comics were not secured. All five were bagged and boarded, but they slid, just a little, and four had impacted corners. (For the last one, the board was bent, but the corner of the comic was fine.) These had to be returned and replaced, but ONLY because they were able to slide a little bit inside the mailer.

I should give kudos to the seller ... it was Golden Apple Comics in LA (via eBay), and they apologized, took responsibility for it, paid return shipping, and replaced without a complaint. The pictures are below ... you can see the outer part of the Gemini mailer was impacted, but protected the inner part. And two representative comics, to show the damage.

Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
lol I’ll b sure to send any too you that way. If you have a small PO box I’ll fold it to fit inside an envelope
Post 12 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
@Tedsaid I buy mine from here. They have single and double walled, along with a variety of sizes.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverogers11
Quote:
lol I’ll b sure to send any too you that way. If you have a small PO box I’ll fold it to fit inside an envelope

You're so considerate.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
One of the best things about these Gemini or similar mailers Is that they’re robust enough to withstand the normal wear and tear of the USPS, and easily open s such that they’re reusable. I hope everyone re-uses them.

Think about what a great world comic shipping would be If everyone re-used or (if you’re not a seller) resold the undamaged mailers to others to re-use at a low cost price. All raw comics would make it to their destinations undamaged likely at a 99% success rate (I’m guessing it’s more like 70% at best on the bay right now from personal experience).

I’ve never bought a mailer...I always reuse them, and when I run out I sandwich books between four pieces of the heaviest corrugated cardboard I can find...preferable alternating the orientation of the corrugation. Some pic are below, but here’s a link to my posted tutorial if interested.

Use blue tape to adhere the bagged/boarded comics to the cardboard (top and bottom only). Avoid packing tape to the comic....you’re going to put the person trying to remove the comic from the packaging in a bad spot.

I can get packages to under 12 oz., which costs about $3.80-$4.20 first class (one or two standard comics). I charge $4.49 for one comic. 2 comics I might charge $5 as sometimes it may be 13-16 oz and shipping jumps up $1 on eBay.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverogers11
Quote:

You're so considerate.
i do try
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
One of the best things about these Gemini or similar mailers Is that they’re robust enough to withstand the normal wear and tear of the USPS, and easily open s such that they’re reusable. I hope everyone re-uses them.

Think about what a great world comic shipping would be If everyone re-used or (if you’re not a seller) resold the undamaged mailers to others to re-use at a low cost price. All raw comics would make it to their destinations undamaged likely at a 99% success rate (I’m guessing it’s more like 70% at best on the bay right now from personal experience).

I’ve never bought a mailer...I always reuse them, and when I run out I sandwich books between four pieces of the heaviest corrugated cardboard I can find...preferable alternating the orientation of the corrugation. Some pic are below, but here’s a link to my posted tutorial if interested.

[img]https://e3effa51eee72fd900e3-2fb779bd12ec72d4612275342f2c9187.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com/89832ee424e2ffd4d2a18bfb1e818c39.jpg[/
Thanks Drag

Use blue tape to adhere the bagged/boarded comics to the cardboard (top and bottom only). Avoid packing tape to the comic....you’re going to put the person trying to remove the comic from the packaging in a bad spot.

I can get packages to under 12 oz., which costs about $3.80-$4.20 first class (one or two standard comics). I charge $4.49 for one comic. 2 comics I might charge $5 as sometimes it may be 13-16 oz and shipping jumps up $1 on eBay.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Thanks Drog gonna order some of those
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:

I know this sounds like a joke but a couple of months ago I received this exact thing. Luckily the comic came in a bag and board or else it would have been destroyed. the envelope was mangles but by some strange luck the book was fine. I figure the soft parts of the envelope got damages when the book shifted away from those areas. I was real lucky!
Post 19 IP   flag post
601453 19 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?