Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Graded

ISO: Action Comics 4 (1938) LABEL notes.10616

Collector ryvandal private msg quote post Address this user
I've emailed CBCS about obtaining action comcis 4 label notes with no answer back.

Was hoping maybe someone on here actually has an action comics 4 graded through CBCS and if they could take a picture of the label for me to see if they note the key inside the book. Appreciate it tons if you can help! Thanks!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
.
@ryvandal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryvandal
I've emailed CBCS about obtaining action comcis 4 label notes with no answer back.

Was hoping maybe someone on here actually has an action comics 4 graded through CBCS and if they could take a picture of the label for me to see if they note the key inside the book. Appreciate it tons if you can help! Thanks!


Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome to the forum, @ryvandal. I wish I could help, but that’s before my time. I can tell you from some quick research that Clark was working for the Evening News and Superman wore blue boots in one of the stories. Have you tried searching the archives of HA.com?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector ryvandal private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
.
@ryvandal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryvandal
I've emailed CBCS about obtaining action comcis 4 label notes with no answer back.

Was hoping maybe someone on here actually has an action comics 4 graded through CBCS and if they could take a picture of the label for me to see if they note the key inside the book. Appreciate it tons if you can help! Thanks!




literally exactly what I was looking for, I was hoping it would state "4th appearance of superman" and there it is! Wooo!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
fantastic book!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
How come it must be stated? He’s in every issue and this is dated before his other series’ starts.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector ryvandal private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano0521
How come it must be stated? He’s in every issue and this is dated before his other series’ starts.


To me it's a very attractive talking point for the book when on display. That's why I like it on the label.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector TommyJasmin private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano0521
How come it must be stated? He’s in every issue and this is dated before his other series’ starts.


In general you can't assume, especially from this era, a character appears in every issue of a generic title. It could have been very plausible, for example, if there were no Superman appearance in issue #3 of Action Comics. Amazing Fantasy #15 is the classic example - you often have no idea if a character is catching on til months later. These details aren't clear to everyone so it can't hurt to clarify. On early Silver Age Marvels it can get pretty convoluted. On a related note, though, it makes you wonder where to draw the line on noting appearances. 5th? 6th? I mean at some point it does start to sound silly.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJasmin
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano0521
How come it must be stated? He’s in every issue and this is dated before his other series’ starts.


In general you can't assume, especially from this era, a character appears in every issue of a generic title. It could have been very plausible, for example, if there were no Superman appearance in issue #3 of Action Comics. Amazing Fantasy #15 is the classic example - you often have no idea if a character is catching on til months later. These details aren't clear to everyone so it can't hurt to clarify. On early Silver Age Marvels it can get pretty convoluted. On a related note, though, it makes you wonder where to draw the line on noting appearances. 5th? 6th? I mean at some point it does start to sound silly.


Interesting question.

I’m sure that it’s Superman and the age of the book drive it in this case. I doubt anyone is pointing out the 4th appearance on squirrel girl, but I can see how this might be relevant information in this case.

I totally get your point, though. Is the tenth appearance of Superman worth noting?

Either way, it’s a cool book!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
The Legion of Super-Heroes are noted thru 20th appearance because they are in different series. They are the only people to have this designation that i know of. Even Howard the Duck is only noted thru 5th app because 6th is his own #1 (i think).
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@cyrano0521
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano0521
How come it must be stated? He’s in every issue and this is dated before his other series’ starts.

It’s nice to have it stated on the slab because non-enthusiasts wouldn’t know whether or not this issue contains an early appearance of Superman.

Following Action Comics #1, Superman’s next Action Comics cover appearance isn’t until Action Comics #7.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, i know, and not everyone knows that. But everyone should know he is in every issue of Action until he “died.”
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector ryvandal private msg quote post Address this user









Here's my action 4 that is coverless. I'm going to crack it cause I dislike PGX and I wont know if there is something missing from within till I crack/count the pages myself.

I have a reproduction cover that I threw over the case just for fun. Its a full wrap, including the interior front, interior back, and back page.

I am at a cross roads on whether to archival tape it on or not... or just leave it coverless and grade it through CBCS. We shall see I guess! Thanks everyone! I am absolutely ecstatic that I own such a wicked comic. Def in my top 5 books in my collection.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Are you just hoping for the accurate notes, or also a grade improvement? Not too sure how CBCS handles them, but I don't think it will improve much even with the sharp repro cover, if at all. I have a sighed coverless Avengers #1 0.5 and a repro cover that I plan to join, but won't degrade because it won't improve, and it hides Lee's sig. Plus I'll still have the label showing it was witnessed.

Tape is a nasty word too lol
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Keep as is and be glad/proud that you own such an important piece of comic book history. just a suggestions you're obviously the owner and can do what you wan't. Lucky...
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
@ryvandal
Sent you a PM
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@ryvandal

Crop the label off of those pics and repost, they’re not allowed.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Please.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector ryvandal private msg quote post Address this user
Done. Sorry guys.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector EbaySeller private msg quote post Address this user
Well if you chose not to put the reproduction cover on, it becomes quite obvious that Superman appears in the book. With the cover on, it becomes necessary to read the label notes. What a quandary.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector ryvandal private msg quote post Address this user
Alrighty, I cracked the case this morning.... No missing pages! Woo! Super happy! If you guys wanna watch me crack the case open and count the pages I have a video of the whole thing on my instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/canadiancomicguy/

Thanks for all the tips guys! Super relieved its complete (Except for the missing cover/back)
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@ryvandal

Good vid, thanks for posting.

Almost certain that CBCS would have removed the book from the slab for you. However, I realize that you wanted to count the pages and look for obvious restoration etc. (But once it’s out of the slab, would probably want it encapsulated again anyway, regardless of restoration - but it makes for a good video 😉 ).

I also don’t see any reason to attach the reproduction cover. Just slide it over unattached and have it graded.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector ryvandal private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
@ryvandal

Good vid, thanks for posting.

Almost certain that CBCS would have removed the book from the slab for you. However, I realize that you wanted to count the pages and look for obvious restoration etc. (But once it’s out of the slab, would probably want it encapsulated again anyway, regardless of restoration - and it makes for a good video 😉 ).

I also don’t see any reason to attach the reproduction cover. Just slide it over unattached and have it graded.


Thanks for watching! I am happy its all there.

Unfortunately as per CBCS the cover cannot be loose, it has to be attached via Archival tape, otherwise they will just grade the book without the cover. (P.S I uploaded a new video of the book with the cover on it)
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@ryvandal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryvandal
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
@ryvandal

Good vid, thanks for posting.

Almost certain that CBCS would have removed the book from the slab for you. However, I realize that you wanted to count the pages and look for obvious restoration etc. (But once it’s out of the slab, would probably want it encapsulated again anyway, regardless of restoration - and it makes for a good video 😉 ).

I also don’t see any reason to attach the reproduction cover. Just slide it over unattached and have it graded.


Thanks for watching! I am happy its all there.

Unfortunately as per CBCS the cover cannot be loose, it has to be attached via Archival tape, otherwise they will just grade the book without the cover. (P.S I uploaded a new video of the book with the cover on it)


I see, My first reaction would be that CBCS does grade detached covers, but I suppose in this instance the reproduction cover is not “OEM” lol
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector ryvandal private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
@ryvandal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryvandal
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
@ryvandal

Good vid, thanks for posting.

Almost certain that CBCS would have removed the book from the slab for you. However, I realize that you wanted to count the pages and look for obvious restoration etc. (But once it’s out of the slab, would probably want it encapsulated again anyway, regardless of restoration - and it makes for a good video 😉 ).

I also don’t see any reason to attach the reproduction cover. Just slide it over unattached and have it graded.


Thanks for watching! I am happy its all there.

Unfortunately as per CBCS the cover cannot be loose, it has to be attached via Archival tape, otherwise they will just grade the book without the cover. (P.S I uploaded a new video of the book with the cover on it)


I see, My first reaction would be that CBCS does grade detached covers, but I suppose in this instance the reproduction cover is not “OEM” lol


Corrrrrect!
Post 25 IP   flag post
276061 25 25
Log in or sign up to compose a reply.
destitute